If You Could Attend Any ONE Sporting Event In History, What Would It Be?

Attending Jackie Robinson's first game breaking the race barrier in professional baseball would be something. 1947.

Being at the Miracle on Ice when our lads beat the Soviets in hockey, that'd be cool. 1980.

Watching Roger Bannister break the 4-minute mile would be a memory for a lifetime. 1954.

Seeing our lads in orange beat Miami in the Sugar Bowl after the 1985 season, earning the historic title "Sugar Vols," I'd love that.

Seeing the Miracle at South Bend, biggest comeback in history against the Fighting Irish on their home turf, would love that, too. 1991.

Any game from any of General Neyland's championship seasons, I would cherish that--just think how much we'd learn about how football felt back then, just being there for one game!

Ditto for any game watching the Lady Vols in any of Pat Summit's championship years.

Those are the events that come to mind first, for me.

Go Vols!

1892, American Football is still in its infancy, and the Tennessee Volunteers take the train south to Blount County to take on the Fighting Scots of Maryville College. I would have to pull for my alma mater, Maryville, in their losing effort, but with the knowledge that this would be the very first of many victories for my beloved Big Orange.

Edit:

Other options that came to mind…

2022 TSIO and 2022 Men’s World Cup final for two recent options.

Miracle on Ice
Foreman vs Ali.
Jesse Owens at the Olympics.
Any Master’s with both Arnold Palmer and Jack Nicklaus.
A Game 7 between the Larry Bird Celtics and Magic Johnson Lakers (if there were any, I don’t actually know).
Pat Summitt’s last championship game.
A joust.
Spartacus’ last go-round as a gladiator before the uprising.

Last edited:
I was at the Florida game last year, but man I wish I could have been there for Alabama.

I realize that’s a prisoner of the moment type answer.

That is a most excellent answer. For 51 years, I regarded the 1971 Oklahoma-Nebraska game, which the Cornhuskers won 35-31, as the greatest college football game I had ever seen. That is no longer true. The sacred Orange and White finally slayed the demon in that magical Third Saturday of October.

Probably one of the Chicago Bulls’ championship games. I think the most fun would be 1992 game 6, the first time the Bulls won a championship on their home court. They came back after being down 15 points in the 4th, even with Jordan on the bench. The stadium was rocking all night.

Reactions: MAD and TNRazor

VN Store

Back