If you stop believin'...

The Titans are from Nashville. The Oilers were from Houston, Memphis then oops, Nashville! You must be a Cowboys fan.
The Titans are from Houston. They used to be the Houston Oilers. I don’t like the Cowboys but I will help you out..they ARE from Dallas.

...you're no longer a fan.

I'm watching the AFC championship pre-game show, and one fan said that. He said, "If you stop believin', you're no longer a fan." Just like that.

I've been searching for years for those words. Awesome. Absolutely genius codification of the heart of fandom as I see it. Faith. Loyalty. Commitment.

Look, i know that definition doesn't work for all of us. It's kind of anathema to many nega-vol fans (who are, yes, definitely still Vols fans). They want it to be proven for them. They come from a position of doubt, rather than faith, and challenge the program to convince them.

Okay.

For me, though, this fella's words today were it. Gave me goosebumps.

Go Vols!

JP,

I believe in those words but I love that our fan base has so much passion that in one game it can completely "flip the switch." We truly have passionate fans and passion is often ahead of logic but it's what makes this sport great. The pure hatred for teams, players, states is amazing and that's why I don't have a pure favorite in the NFL (I pull for the Titans but I don't have a favorite). College to me is so real.

On that note, if you believe in those exact words then I'm sure that everyone of us has given up at some point in a way. It's okay because it's a relationship to us. A legit gf/bf to us that we have to cope with lmao

I've had a few so I don't know if this makes sense.

If you are actually from Tennessee, who are you gonna pull for? A team from Louisiana, Georgia, N.C., Florida, Missouri? or Tennessee?

Reactions: 82_VOL_83
The Titans are from Houston. They used to be the Houston Oilers. I don’t like the Cowboys but I will help you out..they ARE from Dallas.
Really? I've never heard of the Houston Titans. They do have a team there now called the Texans. Only 2 letters different. Maybe you're confused? Teams move frequently. I guess you dont like the Ravens cause they used to be the Browns, the Browns cause they aren't the original team, the Colts, Rams, Cards, Chargers, Raiders, Jets or any expansion team because they aren't part of the original AFL or NFL. The cowboys have had 5 different owners so they aren't really the same team either are they?

Really? I've never heard of the Houston Titans. They do have a team there now called the Texans. Only 2 letters different. Maybe you're confused? Teams move frequently. I guess you dont like the Ravens cause they used to be the Browns, the Browns cause they aren't the original team, the Colts, Rams, Cards, Chargers, Raiders, Jets or any expansion team because they aren't part of the original AFL or NFL. The cowboys have had 5 different owners so they aren't really the same team either are they?
Calm down. The Houston Oilers relocated the franchise to Tennessee. Which originated somewhere other than Tennessee......like Houston.....Texas.

Pruitt is a Bammer. Some things you just have to accept as youthful indiscretion and move on.
Youthful indiscretion? Lol a lot of people, especially Bama fans, are not NFL fans so they pull for certain teams based on players, particularly Bama players. Lot of Titans fans this postseason in Bama land. The more Bama players making an impact in the NFL the more I have to hear about how awesome Bama is. I do enjoy seeing Henry play tho, and pulled for him against the Pats.

How about the Brooklyn Dodgers? Lol. The point is the Tennessee Oilers are not FROM Nashville Tennessee.
There is no longer a team called the Oilers. The Tennessee Titans are a team that has played in Nashville since 1999.

I bleed Tennessee Orange.

I'll be buried wearing Tennessee Orange.

I was born and raised in Nashville and my Dad was a Vandy graduate but I was always a Tennessee Vols fan.

I never really had a NFL team even though I love football and watched the NFL.

When Nashville finally got a NFL team I was really happy because I finally had a NFL team in Tennessee to root for.

I love football and always have so you people can hate on my Tennessee Titans but I'm thankful that Tennessee finally has a NFL team to cheer for.

I despise the New England CHEATriots and bill beliCHEAT and their scumbag owner that bought and paid for the NFL commish!

I'm sad my Titans lost but at least we did make it to the Championship game while so many other teams sat at home crying.

I think the SuperBowl is going to be a great game.

VFL...GBO!!!

Calm down. The Houston Oilers relocated the franchise to Tennessee. Which originated somewhere other than Tennessee......like Houston.....Texas.
No chit. The fact remains that the Titans were never a team in Houston. I dont really understand what point you are trying to make anymore because I think you lost this argument a long ways back. People pull for the Titans for many reasons. Among them are that they are an NFL team whose home is in Nashville. You jumping up and down calling them the Oilers is a little petulant dont you think?

I liked the Oilers okay back when they were a team, I was a fan of Earl Campbell and Warren Moon.
I was thrilled when they moved to TN and became a new franchise - the Titans. My family has had season tickets since year one.
I was a big Moon Fan.

Youthful indiscretion? Lol a lot of people, especially Bama fans, are not NFL fans so they pull for certain teams based on players, particularly Bama players. Lot of Titans fans this postseason in Bama land. The more Bama players making an impact in the NFL the more I have to hear about how awesome Bama is. I do enjoy seeing Henry play tho, and pulled for him against the Pats.
Nothing wrong with that.
I was a huge Colts fan for no other reason than Peyton.
Like the Saints more than ever specifically because of Kamara.
I've been rooting for Vols in the NFL my whole life.
Still love the Titans and Falcons because they are my home teams.
That's one of the good things about the NFL, at least for me.

I'm watching the AFC championship pre-game show, and one fan said that. He said, "If you stop believin', you're no longer a fan." Just like that.
I've been searching for years for those words. Awesome. Absolutely genius codification of the heart of fandom as I see it. Faith. Loyalty. Commitment.
I like to think the annals of history might look back kindly on the faith of our fan base regarding the John Currie-Schiano fiasco.
At a program low coming off our historic worst 4-8 2017 season the Vol faithful rose up and demanded commitment and loyalty to our program from the administration because we refused to quit believing we could escape the wilderness.

Reactions: VFL-82-JP
The Tennessee Volunteers are from Tennessee. The franchise known as the Titans are from Houston. I don’t do the NFL. My Orange is too strong. But....you Titan fans who have groveled over the former ALABAMA running back need to turn your card in.

Reactions: MemphisVol77

VN Store

Back