I'm taking GA's side on this one

@AdoptedVOL your support is appreciated. I’m not sure exactly what this is about but I assume it’s a reaction of Uga X (Que) passing on Tuesday. I mentioned this on a different thread. RIP Que!

Again, thanks for the support. I can’t understand PETA thinking that GA mistreats Uga. These dogs eat better and live a more comfortable life than most of us! It’s unfortunate that their lifespan is so short.

@AdoptedVOL your support is appreciated. I’m not sure exactly what this is about but I assume it’s a reaction of Uga X (Que) passing on Tuesday. I mentioned this on a different thread. RIP Que!

Again, thanks for the support. I can’t understand PETA thinking that GA mistreats Uga. These dogs eat better and live a more comfortable life than most of us! It’s unfortunate that their lifespan is so short.
Exactly. That damn dog lives better than most humans.

I thought this was about the tweet that Texas Barstool sent out . That was classless as it gets.

Exactly. That damn dog lives better than most humans.

I thought this was about the tweet that Texas Barstool sent out . That was classless as it gets.
It really is. I’m sure there are many Texas folks just as pissed about it as we are. There are some lines that you just shouldn’t cross. A rival touting GA as a trash program or making fun of GA or Kirby is acceptable and fair game! Heck it’s part of CFB, makes it more fun. I expect it and welcome it! But mocking the death of a beloved mascot is too much. Whether Uga, Smokey, Bevo or any of the others. It’s not acceptable

It really is. I’m sure there are many Texas folks just as pissed about it as we are. There are some lines that you just shouldn’t cross. A rival touting GA as a trash program or making fun of GA or Kirby is acceptable and fair game! Heck it’s part of CFB, makes it more fun. I expect it and welcome it! But mocking the death of a beloved mascot is too much. Whether Uga, Smokey, Bevo or any of the others. It’s not acceptable
All dogs are gifts. No matter what size or look they have, all have that special bond/spirit that connects to us. Cats on the other hand....

PETA's claim...

“RIP Uga. We’re hoping his passing reminds @UniversityOfGA just how irresponsible it is for them to be promoting unhealthy, breathing-impaired, flat-faced breeds like English Bulldogs,” PETA posted on X.

Me: Eat more steak, drink more whiskey, mind your own danged biz.

It's not so much that Georgia's mascots live a bad life. They are obviously pampered and well looked after. I love all dogs regardless of breed, but there is no doubt that many of the short faced breeds we as humans have created are extremely unhealthy animals overall. That is our fault, not the dogs'. I would adopt any short faced breed but I wouldn't let them have puppies because I don't think it's fair to the animals to continue to produce a breed that has so many concerns. It's like if a breed got cancer 95% of the time but we keep breeding them because they're cute.. not a very comforting thought for real dog lovers.

Before anyone says I'm a PETA weirdo, I think they are a joke of an organization and whatever correct message they try to push will always be overshadowed by their more ludicrous beliefs.

It's not so much that Georgia's mascots live a bad life. They are obviously pampered and well looked after. I love all dogs regardless of breed, but there is no doubt that many of the short faced breeds we as humans have created are extremely unhealthy animals overall. That is our fault, not the dogs'. I would adopt any short faced breed but I wouldn't let them have puppies because I don't think it's fair to the animals to continue to produce a breed that has so many concerns. It's like if a breed got cancer 95% of the time but we keep breeding them because they're cute.. not a very comforting thought for real dog lovers.

Before anyone says I'm a PETA weirdo, I think they are a joke of an organization and whatever correct message they try to push will always be overshadowed by their more ludicrous beliefs.
I’m certainly no expert on dog breeding, but what you say does seem logical and sensible. On the one hand I love an English Bulldog, and I love our mascot! This is a tough one for me, but I certainly understand your point.

Has nothing to do with UGA and everything to do with PETA being an organization run by psychopaths

They kill over 90% of the animals they rescue and have even been caught stealing pets off of private property and killing them

There’s actually an effort by ethical breeders to bring in more generic diversity to help these breeds, but it takes time and generations of pups

Flat-faced dogs are an abomination
Created by mankind, but let’s just skip that for now and focus on the subject at hand. Uga died and a TX barstool account on Twitter made a tasteless joke about it. I think there are some things, friendly banter aside, you just don’t joke about. The death of a dog being one of them. How do you think Volnation would respond to this if was Smokey? RIP good boy Que.

There’s actually an effort by ethical breeders to bring in more generic diversity to help these breeds, but it takes time and generations of pups
I'm all for that. That's not the Uga situation though.. that's generations of incest that leads to sick dogs.

Last edited:
It's really tacky for a money-grubbing, haughty, and self-interested organization to seize on the death of a dog and mascot as an opportunity for fundraising and publicity and to preen themselves and grandstand. Foul and "decency-impaired."

I have a stockpile of snide and derogatory things I could say about UGA and even UGA the dog (by association), but this is not the moment. Well, OK, I'll say one thing: he set a bad example for Georgia fans who crawl around on all-fours and bark. But that's not really the faithful dog's fault, is it?

Farewell, UGA dog, may you rest in peace. You did your duty and I'm sure you were beloved by your fans. One day I may mock your successor in jest -- but not until a respectful silence has been observed for Que. A death is not a "marketing opportunity." Que was prolly a good boy in his own way. They can't all be Smokey.

My understanding is breeders have recognized the flat-face, while highly desired in the market, has turned out awful for the breed and steps are being taken to move away from it.

Also, I thought was the French bulldogs that require assistance to faire l'amour.

My understanding is breeders have recognized the flat-face, while highly desired in the market, has turned out awful for the breed and steps are being taken to move away from it.

Also, I thought was the French bulldogs that require assistance to faire l'amour.
english ones are worse, but most "pure" bulldogs have problems.

it goes beyond their breathing and ability to naturally procreate. they often have a lot of back issues, most short legged dogs do, and english bulldogs have very short legs for their weight. weight is another issue, not so much as they are fat, but just they are bred to be heavy without the muscles to actually support the frame also tend to be very front heavy. I also want to say they have issues with their digestive system too, but I can't remember which organ specifically.

I’m certainly no expert on dog breeding, but what you say does seem logical and sensible. On the one hand I love an English Bulldog, and I love our mascot! This is a tough one for me, but I certainly understand your point.
There are other bully breeds and the option to have a cross with a similar breed. GA could still be the bulldogs with a mascot that is bred to be more naturally shaped and healthier.

Reactions: GroverCleveland

GA abuses its fans by the humiliating practice of forcing them to bark like dogs! This abuse must stop!

VN Store

Back