Interesting Article on "Overrated" teams for next year

I don't disagree with his early Top-25 rankings, and think his "potentially overrated" logic makes sense (particularly FSU). Still hope he's wrong in a good way.

I don’t understand the Dawg lovers that in the NCAA forum claim that Stetson was underrated, a winner, clutch, faster than he looks, great leader, etc. and then turn around and say UGA will be better this year without him. Seems inconsistent.

UGA will be even better this year as they are loaded with talent. His name escapes me, but their QB is supposedly the real deal. Their defense will be stout and they are always strong in the trenches. Their schedule is laughable but hopefully volnation will be the difference and we pull out a Dub.
Carson Beck.

Reactions: vol94
I don't disagree with his early Top-25 rankings, and think his "potentially overrated" logic makes sense (particularly FSU). Still hope he's wrong in a good way.
I live in Baton Rouge ... I hope FSU beats LSU just like they did last year. 😆

The previous qb’s were also more talented. My point is don’t call ‘‘em a cowboy till you see them ride.
Yeah, I agree 100%. It’s true that Beck and Vandagriff are both talented and both have really good arms, but both have yet to take a meaningful snap at the college level. Only time will tell if either can contribute at a high level. All the talent in the world doesn’t give one a high football IQ or make one a good decision maker. Only time will tell. Kirby hasn’t named a starter yet. It could mean nothing, maybe both look really good. Or maybe not.

Last edited:
Reactions: orangebloodgmc
Agreed. I could see Bobo, Jimbo-ing the Georgia offense. Not saying they’ll be Texas AM 5-7 level bad (because they play no one), but I don’t expect this transition to be smooth
I think they're gonna realize how much better their last OC was soon enough. I was pumped when he got a different job and very happy when uga settled on Bobo.

I think they're gonna realize how much better their last OC was soon enough. I was pumped when he got a different job and very happy when uga settled on Bobo.
Bobo at OC set records at Ga, I believe. He's not that bad. He took Arron Murray to the top of the GA passing record book. 2010-2013

Yeah, I agree 100%. It’s true that Beck and Vandagriff are both talented and both have really good arms, but both have yet to take a meaningful snap at the college level. Only time will tell if either can contribute at a high level. All the talent in the world doesn’t give one a high football IQ or make one a good decision maker. Only time will tell. Kirby hasn’t named a starter yet. It could mean nothing, maybe both look really good. Or maybe not.
Beck will start. He won't have to do too much on his own, yet again. Really good o line and another top 5 overall defense will ease him into the starting role.

But honestly doesn’t it feel good to say that? Did any of us think something like that would have been said about Heupel in year 3 when he was hired?
Nice to not have to worry about our threat to turn down the Music City Bowl If they come calling

Beck will start. He won't have to do too much on his own, yet again. Really good o line and another top 5 overall defense will ease him into the starting role.
I agree. And while I hate that we lost the Oklahoma game, it’s not the worst thing in the world for Beck. A few early cupcakes will give him an opportunity to adjust. S. Carolina could be interesting. They are a better program than many think.

Reactions: DickeyD
I 100% do not get this writer's logic, particularly as pertains to the Vols.

He's writing an "over-rated" article. OKay, I get that. He believes some teams are rated higher than they should be. So far, so good.

Problem is, he's arguing against a straw man at least as far as the Vols are concerned. There is nobody out there rating us as highly as this writer is arguing against.

He says, about our Vols:
I believe Tennessee is worthy of offseason buzz. Hence, why I put the Vols in my top 10 to start 2023. But if someone tells me that they’re about to break through and become the 4th SEC program to make the Playoff, I’ll push back on that.
So anyone who has us ranked at playoff level, that's over-rated. Playoff level. Which means top 4 in the country, right? Only four teams make the playoffs, for one more season.

Most every way-too-early ranking I've seen has the Vols between 10th and 12th. I think one had us as high as 6th. Another as low as 16th. But most in the 10-12 range. Which is the same as, or even lower than, than this fella puts us (he says we belong at #10).

So what the heck is over-rated? Who over-rates us? Where? What is this guy responding to?

I just don't get it. I think he's Don Quixote, tilting at windmills and calling them dragons.

Go Vols!

I guess
The previous qb’s were also more talented. My point is don’t call ‘‘em a cowboy till you see them ride.

I guess you are in the 5% who don’t think the QB position will be an improvement. Interesting take.

I guess you were one of the 95 % who thought Bailey was going to be an improvement

Reactions: DickeyD
I don’t understand the Dawg lovers that in the NCAA forum claim that Stetson was underrated, a winner, clutch, faster than he looks, great leader, etc. and then turn around and say UGA will be better this year without him. Seems inconsistent.

The VolDawgs in here defend uga no matter the context. Why they tote water for that trash program and annoying fanbase is beyond me, but you gotta admire the determination.

On another topic, I'm about to add DD as a tolerable uga fan along with BamaDawg. They are very few and far between but they do exist.

The VolDawgs in here defend uga no matter the context. Why they tote water for that trash program and annoying fanbase is beyond me, but you gotta admire the determination.

On another topic, I'm about to add DD as a tolerable uga fan along with BamaDawg. They are very few and far between but they do exist.
Agree about DD but BD can be a little surly 😉. I like having some other fans in here if they want to talk football and not trash.

Agree about DD but BD can be a little surly 😉. I like having some other fans in here if they want to talk football and not trash.
I appreciate that. I’m here to talk football, and I think BamaDawg is as well. I’ll banter back and forth occasionally, but it’s Volnation, so I feel that some good ole trash talk about GA is more than warranted. And unless it’s just friendly banter I’m not going to use my membership here to trash talk the Vols. It’s just disrespectful to do that unless terribly provoked. There are some very knowledgeable football fans here, and I enjoy reading some of their takes. There are also some ridiculous takes, but no more than any other football forum. And honestly, the ridiculous takes are entertaining to read also.😂

Reactions: Proud Army Wife
I feel much better about this slap in the face when I look at who did the slapping.

4. Tennessee
I believe Tennessee is worthy of offseason buzz. Hence, why I put the Vols in my top 10 to start 2023. But if someone tells me that they’re about to break through and become the 4th SEC program to make the Playoff, I’ll push back on that. In the final year of the 4-team Playoff, you still need to be staring at 1 loss going into conference championship weekend. Alternatively, you need to have possible wins against Alabama and Georgia on your 2-loss résumé like 2017 Auburn did and 2022 LSU could’ve had if it won the conference title (that wasn’t close).

I don’t believe Joe Milton can be that consistent. That’s the issue. Hendon Hooker couldn’t even be that consistent, and he was one of the best players in the sport. But the combination of Milton and a somewhat inconsistent Vols defense has me lowering their ceiling to a New Year’s 6 bowl, and not a Playoff berth. Connor O’Gara, columnist for Saturday Down South

1686217441854.png
Connor Ria

Lol he doesn't even say all of these people are saying they're playoff bound this year. I'm not seeing anyone say that. I'm seeing a lot of 9-3 10-2s. I've only seen 1 guy say 11-1.

Im not sure anyone is outright predicting we will be in the CFP, but its kind of foolish to count us out. Georgia and Alabama are both replacing QBs. It's not a given their replacements will come in and score enough to keep pace with Huepel's offense. They have to beat us as much as we have to beat them.

Otherwise, I'm kind of surprised South Carolina isn't on there.

South Carolina isn't predicted to get to the CFP by anyone but their fans, to the rest of college football fans and prognosticators, they are an average team that's gets lucky a time or two a year.

Reactions: Proud Army Wife
I agree. And while I hate that we lost the Oklahoma game, it’s not the worst thing in the world for Beck. A few early cupcakes will give him an opportunity to adjust. S. Carolina could be interesting. They are a better program than many think.
Idk about that last part. I still think our game with them was a fluke and think Beamer is a fraud who will flame out.

Reactions: VolInNW

VN Store

Back