Iowa Can Drain The 3

Seems clear that the game plan AGAINST TN is:
1) Stop Grant at all Costs
2) Let TN TRY to out shoot us
3) Stop Grant at all Costs

Unfortunately this has worked pretty well for about a month now!?!?! :mad:

I'm sure they will get their share of 3's but ain't no way they will shoot 65% like they did in the second half of Cincy game.

To me Colgate was a good practice for Iowa, which is good practice for Perdue, which is good practice for Virginia... This seems like a murders row for the Vols, so we either figure out how to beat teams like this or we go home...

To me Colgate was a good practice for Iowa, which is good practice for Perdue, which is good practice for Virginia... This seems like a murders row for the Vols, so we either figure out how to beat teams like this or we go home...
I still say, if we are going to keep playing man-to-man defense, one of our men needs to be in front of the sharp shooter shooting 3’s.

Compare Colgate and Iowa stats... hope we can defend and be more efficient in the paint on Sunday... Go Vols!
If you look at the whole year Iowa in 89th is 3-pt percentage while Colgate is 10th. As long as we play smart offensively we will be fine. Colgate baited us into taking 3s and we obliged most of the second half. One possession with Bone late in the game showed it perfectly. When he took a bad shot with no ball movement he missed. When we got the rebound, he passed it inside, the ball got kicked back to him for a 3, which he hit. As long as our shot selection is good we will be fine. Shot selection is why we shot around 50% for the year.

Reactions: Seattle Hillbilly
If you look at the whole year Iowa in 89th is 3-pt percentage while Colgate is 10th. As long as we play smart offensively we will be fine. Colgate baited us into taking 3s and we obliged most of the second half. One possession with Bone late in the game showed it perfectly. When he took a bad shot with no ball movement he missed. When we got the rebound, he passed it inside, the ball got kicked back to him for a 3, which he hit. As long as our shot selection is good we will be fine. Shot selection is why we shot around 50% for the year.

Bingo. All good points.

I think this is why Alexander/Fulkerson need to get more touches. Neither get many, and while it may not be Tennessee’s first choice, I think it would force teams to spread more and open things up a bit for Grant.

Reactions: VolFan4life24
I think this is why Alexander/Fulkerson need to get more touches. Neither get many, and while it may not be Tennessee’s first choice, I think it would force teams to spread more and open things up a bit for Grant.

Also let Bowden penetrate more and take his jumpers.

We still need to work through Grant. He just may not be the one shooting as much. If he draws 2 or 3 players he has to be able to kick it out and then a skip passbshpuld be open or he can dish it inside to the other big man depending on what personnel we have in at that time.

Reactions: HuntlandVolinColo
We still need to work through Grant. He just may not be the one shooting as much. If he draws 2 or 3 players he has to be able to kick it out and then a skip passbshpuld be open or he can dish it inside to the other big man depending on what personnel we have in at that time.

They certainly do, but on many of those the past two games the ball got kicked out and Tennessee settled on bad to just decent shots. To me it seemed like most of their paint points were high or drives...... nothing wrong with that but Tennessee is at its best when they can get down low and shoot or kick.

On the offensive end of the floor. Maybe you basketball savants can explain his defensive lapses and effort to us.
Maybe you 'splain how a guy like Burns can hit long 3's with a hand in his face. Stuff happens, & Vols won & advanced.

Reactions: gregmaynard2
I still say, if we are going to keep playing man-to-man defense, one of our men needs to be in front of the sharp shooter shooting 3’s.
^^this. If one of their players is on fire, stick Bowden on them and tell him no matter what, do not sink in and help, stay on your man.

I watched the game this afternoon Colgate had 19 uncontested 3's. 10 were contested. Imo that is way too many uncontested.
Did you go back and watch it.
What was Colgate's percentage on Contested 3s vs Uncontested 3s
What is considered contested vs uncontested?
You maybe surprised at the percentages and the numbers if you go back and watch again
Time to move forward and worry about the next opponent vs looking back at nothing that is already apparent.
We defend the three when we need to.

They take 23 a game make nine. I think we can live with that if that is what they do. Making 15 of 23 is what you don't want to happen. Of course if our three point shooters start connecting we'll be fine we just need to stay close and not get outscored like we did versus a lot of teams from the three.

Kentucky guarded the Wofford 3 point shooter. He went 0 for 12.
Part scheme, part confidence. He was not feeling it. Meanwhile, give him Burns confidence, he would have went at least 4/12 today for the win. Maybe 11/12

4) Shoot 3s

VN Store

Back