Irrational Rick Barnes takes (merged)

Let me make it second grade to you. ANY half decent asst coach should be able to get this loaded roster to the S16. End of discussion with you.
Lol. First off, I’d argue “loaded roster”.
Second off, you mention Stevie Pearl and “half decent coach” in the same conversation.
Third, Barnes took a less talented roster last year to the Sweet 16, if you’re saying this is a “loaded roster”, then last year was a lesser roster because the best player in the SEC wasn’t on it and he went to the Sweet -6 without his star point guard. (I wouldn’t say having one NBA player is a “loaded roster”, btw) Cal has loaded rosters every year and isn’t making sweet 16’s. Finally, you’re arguing something that is impossible to prove and acting as it’s a fact. Barnes May take this team to sweet 16 or further. You don’t know. You also don’t know that another coach would do better. The only thing worse than ignorance is a willful ignorance.

Lol. First off, I’d argue “loaded roster”.
Second off, you mention Stevie Pearl and “half decent coach” in the same conversation.
Third, Barnes took a less talented roster last year to the Sweet 16, if you’re saying this is a “loaded roster”, then last year was a lesser roster because the best player in the SEC wasn’t on it and he went to the Sweet -6 without his star point guard. (I wouldn’t say having one NBA player is a “loaded roster”, btw) Cal has loaded rosters every year and isn’t making sweet 16’s. Finally, you’re arguing something that is impossible to prove and acting as it’s a fact. Barnes May take this team to sweet 16 or further. You don’t know. You also don’t know that another coach would do better. The only thing worse than ignorance is a willful ignorance.
He has elementary and immature knowledge of the game. Obviously not a fan of Barnes

Reactions: OrangeInKy
True but for Barnes the last few years at least it seems like his team hits offensive droughts pretty frequently. I don't know what causes it but it seems to happen a lot for Barnes here.
Agreed…. It seemed to happen less this year, but yesterday made up for it. That was beyond horrible

He said tournament. I get your take, but the same ignorant comments came after we got beat by Purdue and Kansas in Hawaii earlier this year. The SEC tournament championship was just 2 years ago. I mentioned that too

Not from me. I rarely post until March when basketball games actually mean something other than getting in the tournament or seeding.

Not from me. I rarely post until March when basketball games actually mean something other than getting in the tournament or seeding.
Some people believe the regular season is just as, or even more important. Regular season success reveals the very best teams. I get the tournament influence. We had a 4, two 5s and a 9 in the Final Four last year. They weren't the 4 best teams, BUT they made it through a one and done crapshoot. A best of 3 from Sweet 16 through Final Four would change things drastically. Anything outside a 4 seed would be an anomaly in the final four

Some people believe the regular season is just as, or even more important. Regular season success reveals the very best teams. I get the tournament influence. We had a 4, two 5s and a 9 in the Final Four last year. They weren't the 4 best teams, BUT they made it through a one and done crapshoot. A best of 3 from Sweet 16 through Final Four would change things drastically. Anything outside a 4 seed would be an anomaly in the final four

The people that believe the regular season is just as important are morons. NCAA basketball is first and foremost a tournament sport. Has been for years.

Don’t think you would recognize an anomaly if it bit you in your ignorant booty

He has elementary and immature knowledge of the game. Obviously not a fan of Barnes
You and your little circle buddy in ky obviously can’t comprehend what I’m saying. He’s an excellent coach, just won’t ever get past sweet 16 even with a loaded lineup. Sorry to get your panties wadded. Just admit Barnes is not an effective NCAAT coach. I know his history, don’t bother quoting what he did 20 years ago. Go back now to your ky buddy now for the tag team.

In 90’s we had better football teams than our 98 winner. This team needs to at least get in the game and win 3. Anything short…historic underperformance

You and your little circle buddy in ky obviously can’t comprehend what I’m saying. He’s an excellent coach, just won’t ever get past sweet 16 even with a loaded lineup. Sorry to get your panties wadded. Just admit Barnes is not an effective NCAAT coach. I know his history, don’t bother quoting what he did 20 years ago. Go back now to your ky buddy now for the tag team.

Honestly think he is related to Barnes somehow. He takes it way too personal and goes to insults the second anyone questions Barnes. It’s like arguing with a child.

Reactions: Purplehaze26
The people that believe the regular season is just as important are morons. NCAA basketball is first and foremost a tournament sport. Has been for years.
Getting a top seed in the tournament is certainly a priority. Attaining that 1 or 2 seed is critical. You get those seeds because of regular season success. Playing 18 games in the conference and playing out of conference studs pre conference. Those games matter for the one and done crapshoot tournament. I'm a moron

I don’t live in Kentucky, homie

Reactions: BernardKingGOAT
You suggested Stevie Pearl would take this team far, but we are the delusional ones .

Think it’s a fair question to ask if Steven Pearl would be employed in basketball if his dad wasn’t the HC at Auburn. Would anyone really want the guy?
I’m sure he’d get some kind of low level job somewhere just due to nepotism , and work his way up. He had nothing when Daddy made him an actual assistant for an SEC program. Most guys spend years working their way up to the job he has now. Brooks Savage is an example. He started with Pearl as a manager I think, and took him years to work his way up to a division 1 assistant coach role. Of course, no other coach of any major program would have had Daddy’s boy on the court in meaningful minutes, either.

Last edited:
Reactions: BisonVol
The vitriol directed at Barnes isn’t anyone questioning him. The dolts have CRB on blast and show their asses after every loss.

I can only speak for myself but you are correct I am not a Barnes fan. I played basketball in high school and one year in college before I dropped out to start my own business. I was a 1 in HS and 2 in college and played with a guy who went to KY and then the Bulls. I have coached the local 6th grade team and was an assistant to my old school for a few years to help a long time friend. The thing is NCAAM basketball is set up just like every other major sport with a playoff system. The regular season is great but it’s not the point of the season. The point of the season is to make the playoffs/tournaments and then win it. It’s why Cinderella stories become some huge. The tournament matters. Barnes is great in record play but when it’s win or go home his teams have just not historically lived up to the seed. It’s tough because I am a realist and I know the ceiling is sweet 16 with Barnes. I love UT and want to see the Orange take down some nets. It’s never gonna happen under him. With Pearl, there was a shot. He had gotten Auburn deeper into the tourney than Barnes has at UT. Hope is a huge thing for a fan base and with Barnes I rarely have any hope he will go deep in the tournament. I also hope I am proved wrong. I would love to see this team go final four and make me eat my words. I just don’t see it happening though. But I’d love to be wrong.

Don't you have to win in the regular season to make it to the tournament? It's ridiculous and moronic to say the regular season isn't very important.

I can only speak for myself but you are correct I am not a Barnes fan. I played basketball in high school and one year in college before I dropped out to start my own business. I was a 1 in HS and 2 in college and played with a guy who went to KY and then the Bulls. I have coached the local 6th grade team and was an assistant to my old school for a few years to help a long time friend. The thing is NCAAM basketball is set up just like every other major sport with a playoff system. The regular season is great but it’s not the point of the season. The point of the season is to make the playoffs/tournaments and then win it. It’s why Cinderella stories become some huge. The tournament matters. Barnes is great in record play but when it’s win or go home his teams have just not historically lived up to the seed. It’s tough because I am a realist and I know the ceiling is sweet 16 with Barnes. I love UT and want to see the Orange take down some nets. It’s never gonna happen under him. With Pearl, there was a shot. He had gotten Auburn deeper into the tourney than Barnes has at UT. Hope is a huge thing for a fan base and with Barnes I rarely have any hope he will go deep in the tournament. I also hope I am proved wrong. I would love to see this team go final four and make me eat my words. I just don’t see it happening though. But I’d love to be wrong.

With Pearl there was a shot? People were all riled up after his team got killed by Louisville in the S16. I vividly remember the cries of “Pearl’s ceiling is the S16”. It was his ceiling…until it wasn’t. Not suggesting that we make a run beyond the S16. I frankly wouldn’t bet on us getting out of the first weekend. With that being said, I don’t think any of us know any coach’s ceiling in the NCAAT.

One common thing that I keep hearing is "I don't watch basketball until March Madness". You would be surprised how many people say that.

VN Store

Back