Is it possible for Tennessee's passing game to be better in 2017?

dduncan4163

Have at it Hoss
https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/tennessee-football/possible-tennessees-passing-game-better-2017/

Better or worse?

With a new quarterback, a new backfield and a new offensive coordinator, one would think that the passing game is in worse shape heading into the 2017 season.
Time will tell. Expectations certainly aren’t where they were a year ago.
But the quarterback likely will be better protected than Dobbs was last season. Tennessee will benefit from an offensive line that is talented, deep and has interchangeable parts as some players can play multiple positions across the line.

A legit number 2 WR will have to emerge for our passing game to exceed 2016. We got two legit SEC QBs in Dormady and Guarantano. Our O-Line is one of the deepest and most talented in all of CFB so the QB will have time to throw.

If we can get a legit number two WR then our passing game won't miss a beat and possibly even be better in 2017. We shall see.

GBO

Reactions: 13 people
A better passer makes for a better passing game. So, yes. It is possible and likely.

Reactions: 5 people
Dobbs wasn't the best passer nor the worst but I think Dormady and JG can give our passing game that extra spark if our O-Line improves. The only difference we'll see is our current QBs won't be keeping the ball and running 5-6 yards like Dobbs did.

I think our passing game will improve but like I mentioned before, our O-Line has to keep Dormady/JG safe or we're in for a very long season.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
I think we'll miss Malone and Kamara a lot more than many seem to think. We'll be relying on untested players to step up big. Not a lot of experience behind JJ, Byrd and Smith.

Reactions: 1 person
I was able to watch Spring scrimmages that Media was not allowed. All our young receivers improved and you know they have talent. We will be better here than most think. QD has a ton of confidence in pocket and control of offense. OL was a mix of players with so many out. But they all looked more physical.

Reactions: 4 people
https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/tennessee-football/possible-tennessees-passing-game-better-2017/

Better or worse?

With a new quarterback, a new backfield and a new offensive coordinator, one would think that the passing game is in worse shape heading into the 2017 season.
But the quarterback likely will be better protected than Dobbs was last season. Tennessee will benefit from an offensive line that is talented, deep and has interchangeable parts as some players can play multiple positions across the line.

A legit number 2 WR will have to emerge for our passing game to exceed 2016. We got two legit SEC QBs in Dormady and Guarantano. Our O-Line is one of the deepest and most talented in all of CFB so the QB will have time to throw.

If we can get a legit number two WR then our passing game won't miss a beat and possibly even be better in 2017. We shall see.

GBO

Most talented o line in all of CFB? That's bold

Reactions: 5 people

Better or worse?

GBO
I liked your thread, DD. The points you raised, in kind, pointed out what sort of team does well with their qbs, despite a lacking of a couple years experience. Bammer manages to win with pretty regular signal callers...only last year finally putting a notably good qb out there. How? Their O-lines are always a cut above the rest. Because of it, there's more time to keep it together in the backfield; more time to get away with those extra seconds to figure out adjustments, etc. If team 121, indeed, fields an O-line that's as good as it seems it'll be, then our Vols should fare well with the one, two, or three men who'll be taking snaps. Helping out JJ at catching those passes, let's figure Smith and Byrd and Wolfe...and at least a couple of others, will also move a lot of chains and dash into the checkerboard on enough big plays to surpass last year's passing numbers. Minus an historical injury slaughter like the one in 2016, minus the over-the-moon hype that was bestowed on that bunch, with the addition of a plethora of excellent coaching staffers upping the fitness and learning curve improvements (including for CBJ), looking at a still-not-that-impressive SEC east, let's look at this upcoming season with sunny perspectives. Yes, sports fans. That's sunshine. :yes:

Reactions: 11 people
I was able to watch Spring scrimmages that Media was not allowed. All our young receivers improved and you know they have talent. We will be better here than most think. QD has a ton of confidence in pocket and control of offense. OL was a mix of players with so many out. But they all looked more physical.

No matter who starts at QB they'll be inexperienced. I think we'll see our OC if he's a good one build on the passing game as the season progresses. Early, a lot of confidence throws and chances down the field somewhat limited. If whoever it is starting has been making the progress expected along with our WRs, by the Bama game it should be wide open which is usually the weakest part of the Bama D. Time will tell.

BetTer ! Everybody acts like we are setting freaking ducks ! All the BS about trying not to play Alabama. Seen in article that said that Tennessee was using Adams as a voice all the scrap a stupid Tennessee's gonna blast everyone right in the freaking mouth ! Tennessee is a beast we're about to devour and rip every freaking person apartment homes and people lol I left it cause it funny ! Buck fama! Cheaters!

Last edited:
Reactions: 9 people

Better or worse?

GBO

I think our passing game will be much better. I think most of VOLNATION misses the mark on the "need a second reciever to emerge" business. TE position and Jennings will be awesome for QD and/or JG to start with. Inexperienced QB's need fewer options to start with. As they get more comfortable, throw the kitchen sink at them!

Experienced O Line+
Experienced tight ends+
Competitive and talented receivers+
Pass-first minded QBs+
Lowered expectations+

We should be alright

Reactions: 3 people
BetTer ! Everybody acts like we are setting freaking ducks ! All the BS about trying not to play Alabama. Seen in article that said that Tennessee was using Adams as a voice all the scrap a stupid Tennessee's gonna blast everyone right in the freaking mouth ! Tennessee is a beast we're about to devour and rip every freaking person apartment ! Buck fama! Cheaters!

Now, now, stop mincing words and tell us how you really feel.

Better or worse?

GBO
I'll bet ya a case of cold PBR we're better this season. Got that good gut feelin'.

I think it will certainly get better, especially if Dormady wins the job. If we wins the starting QB position, passing goes up and rushing goes down. If Guarantano wins, it might be pretty similar to last year.

TE play will help to spread the ball around and make coverage more difficult.

REMEMBER those checkdowns and don't home in on one target!

Better or worse?

GBO

Not buying a better OL until I see it. But I do believe the passing game can be potentially better with what appears to be a much more accurate passing Dormady and two very skilled, athletic returning WRs in JJ and Byrd and a senior TE in Wolf.

If you are running a designed pass, the timing relies on the line providing ample protection. Last year's line compared to the year before gave Dobbs better opportunities despite the injuries. If this year's line stays healthy, there is no reason not to expect the protection to be better and more consistent. If that happens, Rock had earned his paychecks.

Since Josh Smith has cleared the legal nonsense, I can feel good about discussing him again. If he can stay healthy, I think he is the number 2 receiver behind Jennings with Byrd in the slot. With Ethan Wolf back at TE, that is a strong starting lineup, but we have good depth behind all of them. A part of me is hoping Jakob Johnson busts loose this year.

None of that matters without an accurate QB. Dormady's spring showing tells me he is the man until proven otherwise. Guarantano may still be the better option to those who think we need a true dual threat guy. We may have some back and forth in the early games, but cream always rises to the top in a QB duel, and I feel pretty good about both going forward. Though I feel the passing will be more accurate, it has nothing to do with Dobbs, but everything with having a dedicated QB coach on staff rather than leaving it to a GA. If our starting QB has a mechanics issue going forward, I feel better knowing we now had a coach on the sidelines to correct it before they lose to a bunch of jokers they should walk over.

It should be better.

VN Store

Back