Is it the TE position...?

IndianaVol

Old Timer, Quality Poster
The Tennessee Vols position switch that doesn’t make much sense | A to Z Sports Nashville

Article points to lack of production in the Tight End spot and how Chaney has always utilized them in his offenses.

Also the author brings up a good point of Dee Beckwith changing from what seemed his natural position of TE to RB.

Question I have is it lack of faith in the TEs available or lack of faith in the QBs available to make the progressive reads to her to the TE during a play?

Reactions: savannahfan
I don’t get it. The TE is who a lot of teams use for first down passes at the sticks. that and the rb are you pr check down guys. I would like to see them get the ball at least 5 times a game.

How about this:
Let's say Beckwith is not ready size-wise to block effectively from the tight end position. So if Chaney puts him in the game at tight end, it's obvious that he's coming in as a receiver.

But if Beckwith (only for this season, until he gains the weight/mass and necessary TE blocking capabilities) is being prepared to play from the RB position, it might allow Chaney to run plays that dictate more favorable mismatches against Beckwith.

From the RB position, Beckwith might have more on-the-field value, performing either as a receiver, pass blocker, or decoy. The opposing DC will definitely not want to cover him with just anybody. So against some teams, Chaney would be able to dictate coverage by inserting Beckwith. Heck, at some point in a close game, Chaney might be able to force the D to use a timeout.

Just a thought... FWIW.

Last edited:
The Wolfe player committed from Savannah Tn should be a good TE potentially....I've seen him play and he can run and catch. He had back surgery back in Aug IIRC and has missed his senior season....Hope he keeps his weight down and doesn't come in at OT size.

How about this:
Let's say Beckwith is not ready size-wise to block effectively from the tight end position. So if Chaney puts him in the game at tight end, it's obvious that he's coming in as a receiver.

But if Beckwith (only for this season, until he gains the weight/mass and necessary TE blocking capabilities) is being prepared to play from the RB position, it might allow Chaney to run plays that dictate more favorable mismatches against Beckwith.

From the RB position, Beckwith might have more on-the-field value, performing either as a receiver, pass blocker, or decoy. The opposing DC will definitely not want to cover him with just anybody. So against some teams, Chaney would be able to dictate coverage by inserting Beckwith. Heck, at some point in a close game, Chaney might be able to force the D to use a timeout.

Just a thought... FWIW.

And a very well explained thought at that 👍👍👍

The Tennessee Vols position switch that doesn’t make much sense | A to Z Sports Nashville

Article points to lack of production in the Tight End spot and how Chaney has always utilized them in his offenses.

Also the author brings up a good point of Dee Beckwith changing from what seemed his natural position of TE to RB.

Question I have is it lack of faith in the TEs available or lack of faith in the QBs available to make the progressive reads to her to the TE during a play?

Natural TE? If you were to look across the NFL, and college too, you would see a variety in the TE type and use. And Beckwith can be used in many ways as a flex player.

But he most definitely is an asset at RB. Look how many times our RBs lineup out wide. He's walking first down...imo

Since Witten left, UT decided not to retire his jersey but decided to retire the TE position.

I watch college football from can to can't and watch them use TE's a lot and I just shake my head. A TE is hard to defend and we can't seem to figure that out.
Believe it or not, Mychal Rivera is the leading TE in Vols history by a pretty good margin.

I was shocked, but he has more career yardage, most single season yardage and a much higher YPC. Witten has 1 more TD

Reactions: TBrown

JG has spread it all over the place like a jack rabbit in Vegas... and he has done it in many games. Not him. We have not recruited TE well at all. Our best is injured. And OL needs a new friend.

Reactions: PulaskiVolFan

For what ever reason JG dues not seem comfortable or confident throwing to the middle of the field. I still think they could find a way to get the tight ends involved though. There a number of things on the offense that I don't get right now.

Last edited:
Love both Wolfe and Campbell. Both will be very good and big time targets of Bailey and Salter. " In CHRIST Alone "

Also throw in Nixon and Taylor. We have size and speed coming to the TE Spot and Flex Spot.

Rarely is the TE the primary target in many plays, particularly Chaney's. They are usually 2nd or 3rd checkdown, however since JG stares down his primary receiver and rarely switches, that makes it hard for whoever is at the spot to receive much attention.

Reactions: cbatey1
Beckwith seems to have comparable measurements to the UF TE, and I can envision a similar role. Lack of size isn't an issue, lack of imagination may be. He could line up in the backfield and run routes, he could split out wide, slot, etc. He doesn't have to maul people at the point of attack. I wouldn't keep him in a position to be a inline blocker against a DE, but he's plenty big enough to take on LBs and DBs. If he's one of the more talented players on offense, they have to figure out a way to get Him on the field. He's not Derrick Henry.

Last edited:
For what ever reason JG dues not seem comfortable or confident throwing to the middle of the field. I still think they could find a way to get the tight ends involved though. There a number of things on the offense that I don't get right now.

I dont feel comfortable or confident with him throwing to the middle of the field either.

Reactions: cbatey1

VN Store

Back