Is QB really the key?

I think Dormady will be ok. I'm excited to see him and the WRs, even though I know there is still some consistency issues. However, is the key to UT winning the East/having a successful year all about how he plays?
I think J Kelly is going to be a nice back, but he is still unproven and what's behind him (while looking down the road looks quite promising) is what concerns me (us, I'm assuming) even more so. Sure, the OL is supposed to be the strength but I'm concerned that if the offense fails it won't be about Dormady so much as it will be a lack of run game. Dobbs wasn't a superb passer, but back2back 9 win seasons and setting records was all about the run. Am I too worried about the RB position?

Yes you are! Some in another thread have likened this team to the 98 squad. I wouldnt go that far....yet, but Dobbs, Jennings and Kamara got us out of alot of jams last year AND when they didnt we lost! This year we have the potential of more playmakers, which means to me...if they all play well together, this team could be really special!

QB play is key most of the time. The only time it isn't, is if a team has a dominant/all time type defense. Think broncos from 2 years ago. That defense carried Denver to their 3rd super bowl. They just needed decent qb play, which they got from manning.

Another example would be LSU under les miles. Great run game, good defense, but qb/passing game wasn't good enough and it cost him and them. He/they won a lot of games, had a lot of success, had a lot of talent, and if he/they could've ever gotten anything out of qb/passing game then les miles would still be coaching there.

As you see with the two above examples, a team usually can't get away with not having a good qb. Specially against the good teams, you can't "hide" an average qb.

Reactions: 1 person
Ask lsu if qb play is the difference... If you have everything else... And they do/did... And no qb... It can make a difference.

If we do not have good (not great) QB play other teams defense are going to be able to stuff the run.

I think Dormady will be ok. I'm excited to see him and the WRs, even though I know there is still some consistency issues. However, is the key to UT winning the East/having a successful year all about how he plays?
I think J Kelly is going to be a nice back, but he is still unproven and what's behind him (while looking down the road looks quite promising) is what concerns me (us, I'm assuming) even more so. Sure, the OL is supposed to be the strength but I'm concerned that if the offense fails it won't be about Dormady so much as it will be a lack of run game. Dobbs wasn't a superb passer, but back2back 9 win seasons and setting records was all about the run. Am I too worried about the RB position?

The key is being a team! Playing like a team!

In 1998, we won games thanks to Offense, Defense and Special Teams. Perhaps even coaching and definitely some luck (Syracuse Pass interference, Arky late fumble).

Dobbs was good with his legs, average passer. If you calling dobbs QB play perfection, watch the endings of Vandy SC and ATM. Bone head as they get at times.

Outside of injuries, I'd say defense will dictate this team's fate. QB should be fine, we may even upgrade. At worst, we should be average in the SEC. I'm honestly not at all worried about whoever wins the job.

Ya'll know they changed out as many coaches as we did this year and we beat them in recruiting right. Saban is history.

which%2Bbrigs%2Bme%2Bto%2Bmy%2Bnext%2Bpoint.jpg

Reactions: 4 people
The key is being a team! Playing like a team!

In 1998, we won games thanks to Offense, Defense and Special Teams. Perhaps even coaching and definitely some luck (Syracuse Pass interference, Arky late fumble).

Mainly defense but point noted. You have to have complete team effort to win consistently.

We have a lot of shoes to fill where play makers departed. We have players that can fill the void but to think they all hit the ground running is too much to expect. I expect inconsistency on offense til mid season. Inconsistent within games and from game to game. The best way to help the new skill players is to have great oline play. I believe wells can get improvement but how much and by when.

A solid D could really help the O by giving them more possessions in good field position. Short scoring drives are needed. A young O isn't going to get 8 first downs driving the length of the field. We have to score with 2-3 first downs and we need some big gainers to shorten the field. By mid season the O should become more consistent in making first downs.

I think our D gets a good start to the season while we are healthy. I expect a much improved secondary and a more physical D. I am worried about quality depth on the DLine. I think by mid season injuries mount and we have trouble stopping teams. Hopefully the O comes on by then and can rest the D.

I am not worried about any offensive group just the collective performance early in the season. It is the probability of 11 players all executing on a given play when they lack experience.

We have a great WR corps. That will help the QB. If nothing else, short passes and letting the WRs run wild could be sufficient for most teams we play this season. We have some great athletes at WR and they have the skills to get those extra yards after catch. Crossing routes are going to be big this season. Watch and see. Dormady has great timing if nothing else. If he can hit those routes better than Dobbs, it WILL make up for the lack of a running QB. If you put Byrd, Smith, Berry in a slot position....they are fast/elusive enough to hurt a defense. That in turn will open the box up for John Kelly (who is proven. I'm not sure why you're worried about Kelly and not Dormady) then you'll have edge guys like JJ who will command a double team. He is too dangerous to not cover. Period. That opens the opposite side up for Palmer or one of the other million great WRs we have for deep throws.

All in all....this offense has the potential to be a extremely explosive. On paper....it looks like a solid gold brick. You have the right guys. With the right intangibles. At the right positions. With depth behind them. If Dormady can execute. Look out. It will be such a well balanced offense that even the best defenses will struggle to cover everyone.

I'm more worried about our Defense. Our offense has never kept me up at night. Hell. Even under Dooley we had some pretty good offenses. We had two good defenses in the past couple years. The 2014 and 2015 defenses. But even they gave up big plays at horrible times. Like the 4th and a million against Florida. Bleh.

I think teams need a QB as leader for the offense and a "QB" type leader for the defense. The Vols offense seems to revolve around QB play more than RB play. I personally think a very good passing QB can be more dynamic in crunch time than a very good running QB. Much easier to have a big play in the passing game than the run game, especially with a deep passing attack. For this reason I think the offense is in excellent shape this year if the best player, no matter which it is, is the Vols QB. I think both can hit the big play downfield and also hit the receiver in stride.
For the defensive QB, or big play guy, I think it may be one of our D Linemen.

I think teams need a QB as leader for the offense and a "QB" type leader for the defense. The Vols offense seems to revolve around QB play more than RB play. I personally think a very good passing QB can be more dynamic in crunch time than a very good running QB. Much easier to have a big play in the passing game than the run game, especially with a deep passing attack. For this reason I think the offense is in excellent shape this year if the best player, no matter which it is, is the Vols QB. I think both can hit the big play downfield and also hit the receiver in stride.
For the defensive QB, or big play guy, I think it may be one of our D Linemen.
It's gonna be Kirkland because he sets the defense and when he's out Jumper will set it. Need some one else to step up as "defensive QB". It's usually the mike position. GBO !!

Lots of our young guys got loads of experience to learn from last season which makes our depth much better.

We have everything we need this season, just need to stay healthy.

People just don't know how good we can be this season...yet.

#WGWTFA

VFL...GBO!!!

Imho, the Vols need to be the more physical and mentally tough team on the field each Saturday. It's starts at both lines of scrimmage, they must control both stop the run and run the ball physically right at them. Rush the passer, and protect our passer. Simply, block them and tackle them. A playmaker at QB can overcome many of those deficiencies, but usually the toughest, fastest, and most physical team wins.

Last edited:
QB is A key, but I think the biggest key is good overall team health. And we're due a healthy season!

GBO!

Injuries are a part of the game every team must deal with every year. Playing through injuries and pain is part of the game too. Last season in November, it was much easier to go out with an injury than it was to gut it out and play through it for the team.

Imho, the Vols need to be the more physical and mentally tough team on the field each Saturday. It's starts at both lines of scrimmage, they must control both stop the run and run the ball physically right at them. Rush the passer, and protect our passer. Simply, block them and tackle them. A playmaker at QB can overcome many of those deficiencies, but usually the toughest, fastest, and most physical team wins.

We at least have this at receiver. Jennings is the toughest SOB you will see in any game this year. Latrell Williams and Tyler Byrd have blazing speed. Calloway is speedy as well.

The QB is always the key!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sho nuff...to all who are worried...QD will be fine...quit laughing...I'm serious...just because people haven't seen him enough doesn't mean he won't be successful...he's got all you'd want from a QB...chill...:thumbsup:

GO VOLS!

Put this here, I think out of the past 12 or so NC only 4 have had a returning starter at QB. Food for thought

Line is the key. Line is always the key. OLine on offense, DLine on defense. It all starts in the trenches. Control the line of scrimmage.

VN Store

Back