It all comes down to whether or not we can finally beat Vandy.

I would post the proof but it is considered "calling someone out specifically" and is not allowed on this forum. I have had these posts removed before with that explanation from the Mods. So you will have to take my word for it...or not

Well I don't.

And there has to be more to your story about posts being removed.

But it doesn't matter, I'm being petty about you being petty, just like it really doesn't matter if you provided proof anyway.

Reactions: Hacksaw
Stupid post. We are in no shape as a program to say we wont be losing to Missouri and Vandy for the next 3 decades. We lost to both by 25+ points and doesnt Missouri have a winning record against us?

Had anyone else made the claim in the post you quoted, I'd have thought they just forgot the blue font (so to speak). In this case, it's an example of chronic delusion regarding one's ability to speak things into existence coupled with an oil-and-water level aversion to reality.

Reactions: Bigun
First things first: Win the favored games: Georgia Southern, Chattanooga and UAB.

Win the earlier toss-up/closely matched games: BYU, MissSt, SCAR, and KY.

Steal a game from the highly favored teams: Alabama, Florida, Georgia and Mizzou (most likely).

Then and only then, beat the crap out of Vandy as it is the last game of the season.

Finally, destroy a team in a bowl, preferably someone who has embarrassed us recently.

Sounds like 2015/2016 all over again my ole Hornet friend.

Well I guess we as a fan base still don't understand the landscape of college sports these days...they do not resemble the same landscape of 30 years ago. Because of all kinds of advantages high schoolers now have(surely I don't need to post them all here) for athletic advancement and earlier physical development the days of "dog teams" is simply gone. Any team on any given Saturday can defeat its opponent because of the level of athlete now available to all those former "dog" schools. There are literally hundreds of available athletes with minimal differences in their skill levels available and the Vandys, Memphis', Kentucky's, UAB's, etc etc etc are the ones who benefit from it. So to avoid a childish breakdown when your team loses to one of these types PLEASE understand there are no "dogs" around anymore. To not understand this issue is simply naïve at best but maybe more uninformed. Of course there are still ready made high schoolers who are collegiate level athletes that will step in, excel immediately, and move on to the next level but by far and large the really good athletes are EVERYWHERE these days. Not just my opinion but its a simple fact.

This is really interesting and would suggest it all comes down to coaching in the “middle class” of D1. I believe we have good coaches (finally) so our win expectation should be higher against non-elite teams.

As more parity exists in the non-elite athlete are your saying that most players are relatively equal in year one of their college careers?

If so as coaching, S&C and natural talent develop the player their potential is reached (or not) and this separates top 10 teams from the pack. Of course there are still Xs & Os to contend with but most coaches are competent at this phase of the game; some more than others.

I think it's funny how people still bring that pettiness up.

And are you sure it's the very same ones? Either of you got names or any proof?

Oh, I got names. One definetly comes to mind. I'm not going to say it because it will start a long argument.

Same thing happens in the RF. The usual suspects put down recruits by Butch, but if you go back to the recruit's thread, That same poster was claiming that 3 star recruit with a shaky offer list was destined for the NFL HOF.

Reactions: 08Vol
Well I don't.

And there has to be more to your story about posts being removed.

But it doesn't matter, I'm being petty about you being petty, just like it really doesn't matter if you provided proof anyway.
It truly doesn't. I own the fact that I never gave Butch a chance. Hated the hire from the start...never changed my mind. I should have given him the benefit of the doubt and unfortunately for our program, my opinion of him was spot on. I just wish these former Butch and Dooley apologists would own their decision as well. It is a balance...give the hire a chance until it is proven to be good or bad. I feel I am doing a much better job of that with Pruitt.

It truly doesn't. I own the fact that I never gave Butch a chance. Hated the hire from the start...never changed my mind. I should have given him the benefit of the doubt and unfortunately for our program, my opinion of him was spot on. I just wish these former Butch and Dooley apologists would own their decision as well. It is a balance...give the hire a chance until it is proven to be good or bad. I feel I am doing a much better job of that with Pruitt.

Good grief.

Well I guess we as a fan base still don't understand the landscape of college sports these days...they do not resemble the same landscape of 30 years ago. Because of all kinds of advantages high schoolers now have(surely I don't need to post them all here) for athletic advancement and earlier physical development the days of "dog teams" is simply gone. Any team on any given Saturday can defeat its opponent because of the level of athlete now available to all those former "dog" schools. There are literally hundreds of available athletes with minimal differences in their skill levels available and the Vandys, Memphis', Kentucky's, UAB's, etc etc etc are the ones who benefit from it. So to avoid a childish breakdown when your team loses to one of these types PLEASE understand there are no "dogs" around anymore. To not understand this issue is simply naïve at best but maybe more uninformed. Of course there are still ready made high schoolers who are collegiate level athletes that will step in, excel immediately, and move on to the next level but by far and large the really good athletes are EVERYWHERE these days. Not just my opinion but its a simple fact.

Ok, let's say you are right (and I happen to agree with you) then how do we support a system that systematically does not allow all teams a shot (even if it's a long shot) at playing for a championship? The whole Power 5/playoff system is bad for the sport in my opinion, and goes against everything that makes sports fun. Not allowing a team like UCF in to the playoffs, while allowing a Notre Dame waltz in and get pounded based on their name, drives me crazy.

If we don't beat Vandy and Kentucky this year, CJP is probably coaching for his job in 2020. Our 'hump' game this season is SC. Taking care of the weak ooc opponents, including BYU, and the conference doormats to get to 6-6 should be the bare minimum of acceptable results. Best chance to move past that is SC, maybe State. 7 wins would be okay. 8 wins is solid.

Ok, let's say you are right (and I happen to agree with you) then how do we support a system that systematically does not allow all teams a shot (even if it's a long shot) at playing for a championship? The whole Power 5/playoff system is bad for the sport in my opinion, and goes against everything that makes sports fun. Not allowing a team like UCF in to the playoffs, while allowing a Notre Dame waltz in and get pounded based on their name, drives me crazy.
I certainly understand your frustration. That issue has been in play for as long as I can remember especially with the ND issue. Certainly if we compare schedules ND's is usually really really strong and UCF not so much. I agree mostly but think in the bigger picture most years it wont be an issue but does come into play occasionally. While the parity certainly can make regular season games nail biters I'm not sure its impact is felt on the NC title as much. Good discuss though for sure.

Reactions: volgrad500
This is really interesting and would suggest it all comes down to coaching in the “middle class” of D1. I believe we have good coaches (finally) so our win expectation should be higher against non-elite teams.

As more parity exists in the non-elite athlete are your saying that most players are relatively equal in year one of their college careers?

If so as coaching, S&C and natural talent develop the player their potential is reached (or not) and this separates top 10 teams from the pack. Of course there are still Xs & Os to contend with but most coaches are competent at this phase of the game; some more than others.
I'm definitely not saying ALL first year players are equal. In fact I think I said there were a few high schoolers who are college ready immediately. I do agree that coaching in the middle level type school really shows up when they have several good athletes (due to transfer, being underrated out of high school, academic issues at other schools, etc) in their program. Arkansas State comes to mind over the years. They have had really good coaching and throw a few good athletes in the mix and they were a real thorn in the flesh over the years. Larry Lacewell's teams come to mind. That's mainly why Arkansas will not play them. They're afraid of losing to them. There's other programs as well. The main issue I was pontificating on was the "dog" issue. I just don't believe the Vols or any team for that matter can go into any game on our schedule thinking this will be a ole fashion beatdown. Because of the issues I was pointing out those teams no longer exist.

Reactions: GoVols64

I was one who argued that we needed to give Butch the 2017 season, mostly because I dreaded the negative ripple effect that comes along with a head coaching change. I also thought that the 9-wins in 2016, despite the huge numbers of injuries we had, might be a sign of improvement. So maybe I'm "outing" myself in the eyes of some of those I argued with at the time. I don't recollect names, but if you feel slighted, then please know that I have seen the light and I humbly bow to your omniscience. Mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa. I was wrong and you were right. Very impressive. Henceforth, I ask that you would be so kind as to consider me officially "outed" and keep up the good work.

I was one who argued that we needed to give Butch the 2017 season, mostly because I dreaded the negative ripple effect that comes along with a head coaching change. I also thought that the 9-wins in 2016, despite the huge numbers of injuries we had, might be a sign of improvement. So maybe I'm "outing" myself in the eyes of some of those I argued with at the time. I don't recollect names, but if you feel slighted, then please know that I have seen the light and I humbly bow to your omniscience. Mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa. I was wrong and you were right. Very impressive. Henceforth, I ask that you would be so kind as to consider me officially "outed" and keep up the good work.
Don't you feel better now?

Stupid post. We are in no shape as a program to say we wont be losing to Missouri and Vandy for the next 3 decades. We lost to both by 25+ points and doesnt Missouri have a winning record against us?

You just got Nationed.

I never really gave him a chance. And, during the '15 season I saw that I was correct!

Vandy has yet to have one fan comment on this thread. I guess their one fan is taking a nap.

It is still funny to me that the very ones so quick to post how Butch and Dooley killed our program were the same ones defending Butch and Dooley to the death until the day they were fired.
Yep.. this all day, everyday!!! And some of those same people continue to spew the same stuff about Pruitt... now I’m not saying whether Pruitt is or isn’t the guy I just can’t believe those same people who were so horribly wrong about our previous coaches have the audacity to say anything at all about any coach period. If I were that miserably wrong about a subject I believe I’d just STFU for a while and realize I’m either a blind homer or complete idiot.

Reactions: 08Vol
It is still funny to me that the very ones so quick to post how Butch and Dooley killed our program were the same ones defending Butch and Dooley to the death until the day they were fired.

I defended them both early on until I realized that Wilcox was propping up Dooley and Dobbs was propping up Jones. But it became obvious by season 2 (Dooley) and 3 (Jones) that they were terrible game day coaches, player developers and recruiters (Dooley).

Reactions: Big Al Orange

VN Store

Back