It's April and Rick Barnes decides to retire and join Saban. Who's your first 2 calls to?

Have to think Barnes get a lot of input in that decision. We need English or Schwartz to make a run in the next couple of years and become a known name. That would make a perfect time for transition.
Yep, for continuity of what Barnes has created this makes alot of sense. Gotta put Rob Lanier into that equation too.

Outside of that tree, Niko Medved is a very good coach and even Bob Richey who was Niko's assistant at Furman and has done very well overall since taking over the job also is intriguing. Regardless of who it may be Barnes has built a foundation that is going to be much more attractive for anyone of merit. We got very lucky with Barnes.

He was a little too opinionated during the BLM stuff, by putting out false narratives. but I would be willing to overlook that if he can coach.
Do you also take issue with Pearl posting daily about conflict in the Middle East? I personally don’t have a problem with coaches having vocal opinions on non-batsh*t, extreme, harmful conspiracies, but we need to be consistent with our accepting of coaches using their freedom of speech - whether we agree with them all or not.

I know him and his son personally. He’d kiffin them in the middle of the night to come back to Tennessee. In terms of accomplishments he’s also our best coach in history. I know that’s going to upset you and you’re going to spew venom in response, but I’m just dealing in facts.

I can't say that I have inside knowledge about Pearl, but I do know that it was one of the most exciting times in Vol basketball history when he was our coach. I like coach Barnes, and I hope we keep him as long as he wants to stay, but if he retires soon, I would welcome Pearl back for another go at it.

I think he has proven a lot at Auburn, so I think a lot of fears about him should be dispelled by now. With NIL, we don't have to worry so much about recruiting violations (or do we?).

I would rather take a chance on him than end up with some hire that would likely put us back in the mediocre zone. Go big or go home!

Having said that, I trust our current AD to make the right decision when the time comes.

You’re saying a ton of words to tell us you know a lot of people. Congrats on that!

Apologies for adding two letters to “partial” - I hope my atonement of 10 living room pushups is enough for you, oh grammar hitler. I will proofread better next time 🙏
It’s not a grammatical mistake when the two letters you added change the meaning to the opposite of what you wanted to say.

I didn’t think that knowing former players was something special… I figured lots of folks on here know former players and coaches. And it wasn’t that many words. Took about 20 seconds to type.

As for the hitler comment, using hitler like that is low class. Your people aren’t being threatened with a genocide, so do better and use another analogy.

It’s not a grammatical mistake when the two letters you added change the meaning to the opposite of what you wanted to say.

I didn’t think that knowing former players was something special… I figured lots of folks on here know former players and coaches. And it wasn’t that many words. Took about 20 seconds to type.

As for the hitler comment, using hitler like that is low class. Your people aren’t being threatened with a genocide, so do better and use another analogy.
How do you know who “my people” are? You’re pretty presumptive for being such a wise ass.

I would be stunned if Barnes were to retire after this season. He has a good thing going right now, and I actually think the transfer portal is making life easier on him. He is able to find the better culture fits for the program.

With that said, I woud probaby go with Dusty May as my top option. I'd like to see Kim Engish improve on his first season at Providence. Hopefully everything lines up for a trasition between Barnes and Engish in two or 3 years.

Reactions: BernardKingGOAT
I can't say that I have inside knowledge about Pearl, but I do know that it was one of the most exciting times in Vol basketball history when he was our coach. I like coach Barnes, and I hope we keep him as long as he wants to stay, but if he retires soon, I would welcome Pearl back for another go at it.

I think he has proven a lot at Auburn, so I think a lot of fears about him should be dispelled by now. With NIL, we don't have to worry so much about recruiting violations (or do we?).

I would rather take a chance on him than end up with some hire that would likely put us back in the mediocre zone. Go big or go home!

Having said that, I trust our current AD to make the right decision when the time comes.
This is the appropriate stance… people only disagree because Pearl and BBQ’s are extremely emotive subjects to them.

Everyone’s jumping up my asš, when I absolutely love Barnes.

We can like and appreciate Pearl and also like and appreciate Barnes. But I’ve been told to go cheer for auburn, and even been called hitler for correcting someone, all because they’re really emotional about sports. Lol.

No, he wouldn't because Saban is the best of all time. Is getting us in NCAA trouble an accomplishment?
yeah let’s ignore the fact that Pearl’s got the highest winning % in school history, the most sweet 16s in school history, the highest tournament win % in school history, the only elite 8 in school history… ignore all of that because he lied about a BBQ. Quit being obtuse.

It’s pretty incredible that you won’t acknowledge that. Name the coach in Tennessee history that’s been the farthest in the ncaa tournament. Now name the coach that went to at least the sweet 16 50% of the time. Name the coach that has the best win % in school history. And then finally name the coach that has the best tournament win % in school history. Hint: it’s all the same guy, and he currently coaches at auburn. Being the most accomplished is about.. well… accomplishments. He has the most.

You not liking Pearl doesn’t change that. Again, I’m not stating my opinion. I’m stating facts, which you seem to find incredible. Lol.
Whole lot more to running a program than just w/l percentages.

This is the appropriate stance… people only disagree because Pearl and BBQ’s are extremely emotive subjects to them.

Everyone’s jumping up my asš, when I absolutely love Barnes.

We can like and appreciate Pearl and also like and appreciate Barnes. But I’ve been told to go cheer for auburn, and even been called hitler for correcting someone, all because they’re really emotional about sports. Lol.
I’d rather be average with a team of good people that I can cheer for than win a few more games with a bunch of Ramar Smiths and Duke Crews types. JMO

I’d rather be average with a team of good people that I can cheer for than win a few more games with a bunch of Ramar Smiths and Duke Crews types. JMO
Neither of whom were on the team when we went to the elite 8, because Pearl kicked them off. Seems like Pearl agreed with you, and took care of the issue.

Do you also take issue with Pearl posting daily about conflict in the Middle East? I personally don’t have a problem with coaches having vocal opinions on non-batsh*t, extreme, harmful conspiracies, but we need to be consistent with our accepting of coaches using their freedom of speech - whether we agree with them all or not.
No, because Pearl is right.

Well y’all seem to think CBP wouldn’t come back to Tennessee, and you’re wrong, and I’m telling you that. So if you’re not informed now, you’re being willfully ignorant.
I know he would come back. I never said anything to the contrary. Don't want the carnival barking snake back. He won't be on any list when Barnes retires either. Not a thought

yeah let’s ignore the fact that Pearl’s got the highest winning % in school history, the most sweet 16s in school history, the highest tournament win % in school history, the only elite 8 in school history… ignore all of that because he lied about a BBQ. Quit being obtuse.
He didn't just lie about a BBQ. Maybe you're not that informed

I know he would come back. I never said anything to the contrary. Don't want the carnival barking snake back. He won't be on any list when Barnes retires either. Not a thought
I’m the one who said he wouldn’t come back. I too have friends that impact my opinion on the matter - mine have worked and played under him at Auburn. But it doesn’t really matter who knows who or what, the discussion has devolved to a stupid level benefitting none. I’ll just agree to disagree, as typically happens in every Bruce discussion on here. We’re discussing a scenario that will never happen. On to the destruction of the kitties.

1 Kim English and Lamont Parris
OP
I hope you are not serious with this question...
We have not even gotten into the end of the SEC Season yet. Yet you bring up Retirement?
Are you trolling?
Plenty of time to sort this out in the off-season vs looking ahead to new coaches.
Whether or not it is even a possibility or not --- Now is not the time to do it.
Speculation during this time and when they are on a roll in Vols BB is just degrading.
Enjoy the here and now, let the future be what it is. In life, things can change in one heartbeat, so quit pushing and worrying.

Okay so you’re agreement with me… then why are you bickering with me? My statement was, paraphrasing, “he would definitely come back, but the admin doesn’t want him back.” Then another poster said he wouldn’t want to come back. You chimed in that I wasn’t informing anyone. Clearly one poster in this thread thinks Pearl would choose to stay at auburn, which isn’t true IF he got offered by UT. I informed that guy. I agree there’s no chance of it happening. We seem to be 100% on the same page… sooo, we good here, right?

VN Store

Back