Its not over!!

Throw your shade all you want we came out and responded the way a true team does. We ran all over them, you can’t make no excuse for that. They ran on Kentucky and Florida but they couldn’t on us, you can’t make no excuse for that either. We came out and played inspired and the teams body language was all you needed to see to tell you we came to play. We finished the season at 10-2 and we have a very strong resume this year. Great building blocks going into year 3. GBO!!!!

I'm not throwing shade @ us. But, we have gotten exposed on D in the same way 3 or 4 times this yr. All are in the same way. Proud of how we came out all biz and handled little brother. Just talking from Vandys strategy standpoint.

It’s amazing how seemingly divided our fan base is over Milton.

It’s becoming very clear that many people have never played, or don’t understand football at all. They see a few overthrown passes and think a guy is worthless—incomplete passes (not intercepted, mind you), and that touch comes with in-game experience, calming the nerves, trusting your touch. There are much worse problems to have.

Let get it straight... the south Carolina game was NOT on hooker....
The defense had 1 stop all night. They scored touchdowns on every possession but 1. That's completely and emphatically on the defense.
Again read what I wrote. I’m in no way putting it on Hooker. But it wasn’t his best game.

It was Vandy.
They also chose to play a guy who should be a WR @ QB. Like every other team we've beaten, they even chose to try and grind it out on the ground and slow the game. Bama(Q2,3,4) & USC gave everyone the pattern to beat us. Vandy refused to play the throwing QB and try. Dumb.

That guy you talking about beat Florida and Kentucky. Was 4-1 in starts this year before they played us.

Milton will never be a Hendon Hooker, but he's good enough to win 7 or 8 games with a really good offensive line, a stout running game and an SEC caliber defense. And if he can learn to read defenses and think faster on his feet he could be a LEGEND at TN. The latter is my Hope.

If it was Bryce Young who was out for the year, and Hendon Hooker was still playing, I think we would have been rated over Bama.

Regardless of our record, no team is "just as good" after losing a Heisman Trophy candidate at quarterback. That's life, and the team is accepting that challenge to play that ball from where it lies and make the best of whatever opportunities come their way.

Our mental health would be well served by doing the same.

Tennessee lost to #1 and #20.
Bama lost to #7 and #15
Tennessee was a team that beat them

Is the committee saying how you lose a game means more than who you actually beat?

If Milton can keep the ball in the same zip code with those receivers. Two nice deep balls last night. One caught by Hyatt, One was dropped, but well thrown. The rest never had a chance. He’s got to find the Governor on that bazooka of his.
I am going to blame the cold windy rain.

I'm not throwing shade @ us. But, we have gotten exposed on D in the same way 3 or 4 times this yr. All are in the same way. Proud of how we came out all biz and handled little brother. Just talking from Vandys strategy standpoint.
5 games we held the opponent to 13 or less.

It's not over we still have a 2% to make the play off!!! And like the old saying goes its not over till Phil Fulmer sings
Only chance the Vols have is if there are 2 or 3 on that committee that argues strongly for putting the Vols at 5 ahead of OSU and Bama. I would be surprised if there are. It would take somebody like Jim Grobe or Barnhart to say Tennessee played the toughest schedule by beating the most ranked teams by far compared to Bama and OSU. Even with the loss of Hooker they have an adequate back up in Milton and deserve the 5 spot. They could say we can take easy way and just follow ESPN and AP poll and leave the Vols at 7. But if we want the 4 best teams in the playoff Tennessee deserves the 5 spot this week and let next weekend play out. Not holding my breath .

I thought we were a better team last night with good defense, an effective run game, and a threat of beating the defense deep. It was obvious that their defense could not make the right choices to stop our balanced offense.

It's not a deep threat if the QB throws 9 out of 10 over everyone's head

The Vandy game was not a game to fairly judge Milton. It was pouring rain and windy and we were running all over them. There was really no reason for him to throw a lot of passes or for him to try and run. Now I have no doubts he has things to work on but to judge his improvement or lack of based on his limited time this year and the Vandy game really isn’t fair. Now in the bowl game it will be a much better gauge. He will have another month to work with the first team unit and prepare for the game. I think we will see some promise and probably a few things to work on. But I think it is premature for folks to write him off yet. I am tough on QB’s but I trust our staff and I believe Joe has probably improved more than we realize. You could tell they had told him not to run against Vandy, that is going to be part of Joes game. Not that he will run a lot, between hitting deep passes and having the ability to run really is going to stretch the field. If he finds any consistency at all in the mid range game he will have a lot of success. We should have the O-line to have a strong running game as well. Our offense will have lots of the components to be lethal if Joe can find that mid range at least a decent amount of the time. GBO

Ohhhhhhhhhhh, its over Sir.
Okay humor me ... where do you WANT us to be posted???

Personally, I favor the 5th spot! Slightly ahead of OSU and slightly ahead of ALA.
I want the top 4 teams to ALL win .... OR TWO of the teams to lose!
That would give us a matchup with Michigan (in my scenario) or a date with Clemson in the Orange Bowl (probably).
This guarantees that there would not be a Georgia - TN and Michigan - OSU rematch in the first round of the playoffs.
I think .... "...the odds are good... that two teams lose." Yes, I shamelessly borrowed the words of Aereon. :^) .... AND those losers will not be GA or MI!

Last edited:
Honestly this team was phenomenal this year up until one game. I said at beginning of the season if Hooker had an off game we we’re screwed. I don’t think Carolina was necessarily a bad game for him but he wasn’t as good as usual. I think we have really good leadership in our coaches and AD but I think maybe it hasn’t quite seeped down into the lockerroom yet. You’ve got a few guys that hold everyone accountable and if they go down the wheels fall off. Need everyone or at least most everyone to have a high level of personal accountability and to keep everyone else striving to do their best.

VN Store

Back