Its over [hiring pause]

Tennessee must be trying to use the investigation to get rid of Pruitt, because if they are not, they are damaging the program beyond repair

Tennessee is no longer able to recruit the best instate talent...... that will be the true Death of Tennessee football

Tennessee must be trying to use the investigation to get rid of Pruitt, because if they are not, they are damaging the program beyond repair
Not sure we can hire Freeze if we fire Pruitt with cause, but it’s UT so anything is possible.

Reactions: volintears
We knew he couldn’t hire coaches from the football scoop article last week. Further confirmation I guess, but I don’t see anything in the article we didn’t already know.

It went from rumors (the football scoop) to fact (UT officially announcing it and its on front page of ESPN).

That's a big deal.

They also have an extremely jacked up booster situation like us (Instead of us not having alignment with our 3-5 biggest boosters), they have dozens of big boosters who need to be coddled/going in different directions.

True, but their schedule is usually cake from year to year and have the most fertile recruiting ground and financial resources of any program in the country

Reactions: Volfan1000
This is an inside job and I actually feel sorry for Pruitt. The man was obviously handcuffed with having to play JG and as soon as he benches him for good, this blows up. Too many people have their noses stuck in football for it to be successful. No top tier coach will ever come here due to interference from outsiders. I think Pruitt kept his mouth shut and collected his salary until he couldn't take it anymore. When he plays the qb he wants to and tries to win, the rug is yanked out from under him. It would have been nice to see what he could have done if he were left alone.

Imagine believing that a head coach, in year three with three other QBs on the roster, was "handcuffed" into having to play a QB that he didn't even recruit.

Coach worship is real.

This is an inside job and I actually feel sorry for Pruitt. The man was obviously handcuffed with having to play JG and as soon as he benches him for good, this blows up. Too many people have their noses stuck in football for it to be successful. No top tier coach will ever come here due to interference from outsiders. I think Pruitt kept his mouth shut and collected his salary until he couldn't take it anymore. When he plays the qb he wants to and tries to win, the rug is yanked out from under him. It would have been nice to see what he could have done if he were left alone.

What color is the sky in your world?

All this is avoidable if we simply write contracts that require a performance level.

Instead, we guarantee money and job security, make it as difficult as possible to remove and replace, without requiring so much as an iota of accountability for actual success.
That just isn’t how the market works. You’ll just make it ten times harder to hire a coach at a place that has enough trouble getting good coaches as is.

Reactions: Plecoptera
That just isn’t how the market works. You’ll just make it ten times harder to hire a coach at a place that has enough trouble getting good coaches as is.

Right, it's an issue in the coaching world where they spend other people's money. I'm saying the industry needs to change the way this is done.

Imagine running a business where you pay a high guaranteed salary and bonuses to an employee who has never held that particular role before anywhere else, and not including a performance requirement. Couldn't happen.

All this is avoidable if we simply write contracts that require a performance level.

Instead, we guarantee money and job security, make it as difficult as possible to remove and replace, without requiring so much as an iota of accountability for actual success.

No coaching contract in any sport works that way. You get guaranteed money, always. Otherwise good luck finding your next coach cause nobody in their right mind is going to sign a UT contract.

After the botched process the last time we changed coaches, I am not surprised that the UT admin is being ultra cautious with this situation. It seems like they are trying to get rid of him "with cause." Missing out on potential coaches or recruits, although important to us fans, does not appear to be a major concern for them. It's going to be a long month.

Reactions: USF grad in TN
Right, it's an issue in the coaching world where they spend other people's money. I'm saying the industry needs to change the way this is done.

Imagine running a business where you pay a high guaranteed salary and bonuses to an employee who has never held that particular role before anywhere else, and not including a performance requirement. Couldn't happen.

Every CEO in America is paid like a head coach. That's why they call them golden parachutes. They may get bonuses for good performance but they dont get contract money taken away ever. Again, nobody is taking on that level of responsibility without absolute guaranteed money.

Reactions: Wireless1
After the botched process the last time we changed coaches, I am not surprised that the UT admin is being ultra cautious with this situation. It seems like they are trying to get rid of him "with cause." Missing out on potential coaches or recruits, although important to us fans, does not appear to be a major concern for them. It's going to be a long month.

Any coach interested in our job will wait. I dont think this will take long. Once it's fully out there in the official media landscape it has to move.

No coaching contract in any sport works that way. You get guaranteed money, always. Otherwise good luck finding your next coach cause nobody in their right mind is going to sign a UT contract.

Thank you for restating the problem that I mentioned. This needs to change to get a different result. These egghead administrators running colleges, who are always playing with someone else's cards, not only continue this ridiculous practice but use each other to continuously escalate the dollar amounts.

College football has very little parity now because of it.

Finally see the phrase „Tennessee hiring freeze“ but not quite with the same meaning for which we were all hoping 🥺

What kind of sanctions do you legitimately think will be imposed on the program?
I think most likely a bowl ban next year and possibly a handful of scholarships?
Although we don't have all the details.

VN Store

Back