It's possible

I would say look back to 1964 through 1967 and ask yourself if history is going to repeat itself.

1964 New Coach
1965 Broke a 7 year streak of not winning 8 games.
Found our future QB late in season.
1966 Kept winning
1967 Played for NC in bowl.

Reactions: 1 person
Despite all of our struggles this year, its is still possible to go 8-5. I mocked people in the offseason who predicted 8 wins, but we actually have a decent shot at getting there with a bowl win. If we do, What will your evaluation of Butch Jones look like?

IMO... there's a better than 50% chance that UT finishes 7-5 and near 100% chance they finish at least 6-6... so long as Worley or Dobbs is the QB. I believe either can get UT to a bowl.

Competition is about to fall off fairly significantly and especially in terms of athletic talent. UT's five losses were to OU, Bama, Ole Miss, UGA, and UF. There's not a single team left on the schedule that comes close to any of those teams in pure athletic talent. UT in fact should be the more athletically talented team in each of these 4 games... and will have been hardened by a tougher schedule as well.

I'm late, but

j4gsPeH.gif

My preseason pick was 8-5.

I thought we would beat UF to do it.

Still possible.

If it is done then Jones and staff stay in place get a nice bump and extension.

Next year would be 9 or bust.

I think UT will be one of the favorites to win the East next year.

The game in Gainesville could be huge, if we get a coach who can tie his own shoe laces.

Reactions: 3 people
Very optimistic considering UT has 4 SEC wins in the past 4 years and many on here seem to be expecting 4 SEC wins in a row?

One game at a time is the correct answer.

Very optimistic considering UT has 4 SEC wins in the past 4 years and many on here seem to be expecting 4 SEC wins in a row?

One game at a time is the correct answer.

You have plenty of problems of your own... and have NOT played one of the top five most difficult schedules in the country.

This is definitely the best team we've had since Kiffin. And could be on par or better than that one once all is said and done.

This is definitely the best team we've had since Kiffin. And could be on par or better than that one once all is said and done.

Not sure which way is best but if the schedule is lopsided. The most talented opponents came in games 3-7. The first two games were obviously manageable. The last 4 games will be too IMO. I wonder if it would have been better if the games were more blended or if the weaker rosters had come early in the seasons?

Vandy has plenty of problems, similar to TN, young, 4 QB's have started/played in a game, new defensive scheme and an Offensive Coordinator that is still trying to call plays like he was in the early 90's. Getting Robinette back will give a little spark back to the offense, similar to the recent success of Dobbs, but I was just being realistic. I guess I could say Vanderbilt has a chance to win out and go to a bowl game as well, but 1 game at a time is still the answer.

I still feel like winning 5 will be a struggle and that 6 is being pretty optimistic.

I think UK, Mizzou and USCe are all coin tosses at this point.

I really need to see us play a team that matches up equally with us before I feel confident in my evaluation though. If we come in and beat USCe then my tune will change drastically. Until then it is believe it when I see it.

I think UT will be one of the favorites to win the East next year.

The game in Gainesville could be huge, if we get a coach who can tie his own shoe laces.

Just buy Muschamp some slippers. Maybe those Croc thingies. In pink :).

This week's game is huge. I'm gonna be head to toe Orange, lol. I worry about Kentucky actually. Been a while since I said that. If Dobbs and the Oline can continue to improve, I think that will pay big dividends for the defense. Being close in every game will make their life easier, not to mention them not having to be on the field the whole game.

BTW, who's this guy that stole Fade Route's account?:p

Oh wow.....500th post. Does this mean I lose my amateur status?

I still feel like winning 5 will be a struggle and that 6 is being pretty optimistic.

I really need to see us play a team that matches up equally with us before I feel confident in my evaluation though. If we come in and beat USCe then my tune will change drastically. Until then it is believe it when I see it.

Mizzou is a coin toss for sure.

I like our chances at home against UK.

The closest team we've matched up to this year was Florida.

Last edited:
I would take 6 and 6 and a victory in the Music City Bowl.:) From 3 and 5 right now to that would be really nice, and the recruits would see the improvement and hold the class together, plus add 2 or 3 more top rated recruits and steal the one kid from Ole Miss, if we can get that I don't want Santa to bring me nothing, that's all I want, don't ask for much do I, the funny thing is I think we can do it.:rock:

Last edited:
Vandy has plenty of problems, similar to TN, young, 4 QB's have started/played in a game, new defensive scheme and an Offensive Coordinator that is still trying to call plays like he was in the early 90's. Getting Robinette back will give a little spark back to the offense, similar to the recent success of Dobbs, but I was just being realistic. I guess I could say Vanderbilt has a chance to win out and go to a bowl game as well, but 1 game at a time is still the answer.

UT and Vandy are not similar. UT is very young but those young guys are very, very talented. Vandy replaces producers but isn't "that" young. The disparity in talent is beginning to trend back toward what it was prior to Franklin.

Vandy has basically zero chance of winning out unless MSU's whole team gets ebola. UT's schedule was loaded in the middle with Bama, Ole Miss, OU, UGA, and UF. In terms of talent, the back end is a clear and significant step down.

IMO it is not possible. It is probable.

1 daj2576 has reams of data indicating that the best predictor of winning is player talent rating, and UT is rated higher than its last 4 opponents.

2 CBJ has a QB in place that fits his system

3 Personnel issues on the O line seem to have been ironed out as the new alignment played much better against Bama

4 Both RBs are now healthy

5 The freshmen are experienced, and now nearly sophomores

In fact, no reason to not run the table from here on out.

8-5 and a top 5 finish on NSD would be definite positives.

Sorry. But I do not expect UT to lose to teams with less talent. I can swallow real hard and accept the losses to teams with more talent at this point... but not the ones with less.

IMO it is not possible. It is probable.

1 daj2576 has reams of data indicating that the best predictor of winning is player talent rating, and UT is rated higher than its last 4 opponents.

2 CBJ has a QB in place that fits his system

3 Personnel issues on the O line seem to have been ironed out as the new alignment played much better against Bama

4 Both RBs are now healthy

5 The freshmen are experienced, and now nearly sophomores

In fact, no reason to not run the table from here on out.

8-5 and a top 5 finish on NSD would be definite positives.

I can't give them that 8th win until we know the opponent. Otherwise, good post.

VN Store

Back