Jacob Gilliam Update

Firstly, the ACL has nothing to do with stabilizing lateral movement of the knee (as mentioned in a couple previous posts). It prevents anterior displacement of the tibia relative to the femur. Sidenote: it is the weakest knee ligament (by far), 9x weaker than the LCL, which is the next weakest of the 4 knee ligaments. The PCL (the strongest of them all, and usually never torn unless the tibia hits the dashboard in a very high-speed motor vehicle collision) prevents posterior displacement of the tibia with respect to the femur, but without an ACL, the PCL is pretty serviceable at preventing movement of the tibia in the anterior-posterior direction relative to the femur. Based on the article where he had extensive discussions with Orthos about surgery, he must have torn it completely, as a partial tear would not require surgery, so those discussions would never have been had for a partial tear. In this case, forgoing surgery is actually not unreasonable, but that said, I've never (ever) heard of non-surgical treatment in an athlete wanting to continue in athletics. So, the most likely scenario is:

-He actually tore it completely, forwent surgery, and CBJ's comments about him "not having an ACL" are actually true. Given the above (that it is the weakest ligament by far), the ACL is actually is not necessary. However, it is necessary for an elite athlete. Again, I frankly have never seen or heard of anyone not having it repaired if they want to continue in athletics. However, it is pretty plausible that it is pretty clear to him that this is his last year of football regardless, as he will not go to the NFL. Thus, he has decided to leave it alone, and try to play the best he can with a knee brace sans ACL. Seeing as he is not a RB making jump-stops and all, this isn't out of the question.

Were he seriously wanting to pursue further competitive football after this year, he would have to undergo repair to truly be able to do what he really needed to do to compete at a high level. However, maybe he feels like if he can help the team sans ACL, then that is his best option for this year, and cross the surgery/future football bridge when/if that comes. For that, I applaud his character.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 people
His road to playing football and working through this is the kind of thing inspirational movies are made about.

Tearing your ACL isn't that hard to partially recover from. Our society survived thousands of years before surgery to fix a common sports injury. He won't be able to cut or put a lot of lateral pressure on the knee, but the O-line probably uses those motions the least of all the players on the field The long recovery time comes from the surgery to fix it, which from personal experience is a complete *****

Lineman use lateral movement just about every play...especially when they kick - slide when pass blocking

If you will notice, nearly all of our lineman wear these on both knees.

chilmonty-albums-my+pics-picture5195-fusionxtoaplus.jpg

They provide lateral support from impacts and extensions. So Gilliam should be able to play with these type of braces. Now battling through whatever pain factor he has is another story??

Regardless, I think it is safe to assume he is one tough SOB!! :rock::rock:

Reactions: 1 person
He's back in the starting line up kid. Give me a break, what was the point of that? You just made yourself sound like you're 15.

Do you mean like Curt Maggitt?

Every person/injury/position combination is unique and you can't really use recovery times to judge a persons will or determination.

Besides in most of these feel good type stories the players are towards the end of their playing days with no real shot at the NFL. Wasn't the case with Curt.

To be fair, I think his point was that he played last week. Gilliam is a true VFL in every sense of the word. Very proud that he wears the Orange.

Reactions: 4 people
yeah, well now feels so good he is back in the starting rotation. This mean a lot to our team.

Morally its a great thing, but he did not look good last week at Ole Miss. His lateral movement is severally compromised. He'll try to play, but I won't be surprised to see Kendrick and Kerbs at the tackle positions by halftime of the Bama game.

Well, yeah it seems that way, but they are not making that the case...they are telling us he's healed...and I've never known butch and company..this coaching staff, to bring in an injured player before he is healed...it's an odd thing this...it's different than the norm. i just hope the best for him.

Well, yeah it seems that way, but they are not making that the case...they are telling us he's healed...and I've never known butch and company..this coaching staff, to bring in an injured player before he is healed...it's an odd thing this...it's different than the norm. i just hope the best for him.

^^that was meant in response to the not healed yet/ playing injured comment. I just wasn't fast enough.

Should have made McCullers an OT and redshirted him a year. It would take at least 5 seconds to go around him!

yeah, well now feels so good he is back in the starting rotation. This mean a lot to our team.

I can't believe he is out there. He is an inspiration to his teammates. For his future, I kind of wish CBJ would "dress" him for the game, but keep him on the sidelines. He has ZERO lateral movement and is a play away from a potential
catastrophic life-long knee injury.

I can't believe he is out there. He is an inspiration to his teammates. For his future, I kind of wish CBJ would "dress" him for the game, but keep him on the sidelines. He has ZERO lateral movement and is a play away from a potential
catastrophic life-long knee injury.

yep, actually if this thread is right and we are down two more linemen http://www.volnation.com/forum/tennessee-vols-football/228178-injuries-2-o-linemen-out-bama.html that may be the case that they are playing him injured and for some reason telling us he's fine. I don't understand it.

It seems like he's not "fine" but we don't have any choice so they are throwing him in there and telling us he's "fine".

Honestly the Bama game is a guaranteed loss. Anyone that is questionable I'd let them ride the pine until Mizzou/SC so we can still limp into a bowl game.

Honestly the Bama game is a guaranteed loss. Anyone that is questionable I'd let them ride the pine until Mizzou/SC so we can still limp into a bowl game.

Do we have any more bodies sitting on the bench cause it seems like he is being played because there are no more bodies to plug in. Like we are out of players. It's the only conclusion.

VN Store

Back