Jarrett Guarantano

The rumor is JG is on the fence whether or not he is going to stay. It is being reported he was told he was going to play last night but it did not happen. The butthurt on the bench shows the frustrations. I wonder how this is going to play out.

It's not too hard to see how it's going to play out at this point. As much as I want to see JG leading this team, it's clear that Butch has different plans.

I just hope it doesn't turn into a fiasco like the Hurd situation and creep into the rest of the team. There's a clear problem with the way the coaching staff is handling these types of situations and that's going to impact recruiting, if it hasn't already.

It's one thing to be a cheerleader as a redshirt player, but another when the players and coaches look to you as a leader. JG showed no leadership skills last night. Seeing how he handled the situation all night, I wouldn't have put him in either. Was he promised playing time last night? I don't know and neither do you. The game dictated who played as did the coaches' thoughts on who gave them the best chance to win.

If JG wants to play, he needs to step up and act like a leader. If he did it last year, then he at least knows how it is done. From what I saw, he did not meet with the offensive players, he wasn't following the coaches around listening, he wasn't speaking with QD, etc.

There are typically two sides to every story. Most have drawn their conclusions on JG based off of what we think the situation is. The kid is getting killed by everyone for something that, as you stated, no one knows the story. You have no idea what he was pissed about nor do I. I'm just trying to fill in the blanks with how I feel it all went down. We've had several past players with this same complaint on Coach Jones.

What I do know is that up until last night, he has been a huge part of this team and was also thought to be the future of our team. Now he's trash.

Just curious, were you at the game? You seem to have insider knowledge pertaining to what he was like all night. Just wondering if you were going off of a few perfectly timed tv shots or if you saw this in person. I know for a fact that I saw him more often than not standing with the coaches while the offense was on the field with his helmet on. I also saw them have bad drive after bad drive for 3 quarters and not call his name. He, along with all the other offensive players, sat apart from each other while the defense was on the field. Just as an FYI, QD was setting right there along side him doing the same thing. Not sure what we all expect from our back qb.

Just don't know how much I trust Butch. Kamara was a backup to Hurd.
Funny you should mention this because it appears Jones may have learned his lesson. Hurd was a prima donna (like JG acted last night). Jones played him even though AK may have deserved more touches. HOPEFULLY, Jones is past playing or not playing guys in fear of someone getting their feelings hurt and transferring.

Bituli only got the start because Kirkland is out.
So Bituli deserved to start more than DKjr? More than Smith? You're sure of that?
Just seems like he's stubborn to a point where good players don't play because it's not on his "chart" or whatever.
If his chart tells him to play the guys who earn it in practice... then that's a good chart.

If he lied to JG and said he was going to play, then I would be pissed, too.
He didn't name a starter which I think was a mistake on many levels. He said they would compete even through game warm ups. But Kelly knew who the starter was going to be a couple of weeks ago.

Dormady made plenty of mistakes. I don't understand why he didn't even try JG.
So you bench guys if fans think they've made "plenty of mistakes"? Jones saw things you didn't see. He saw the drops. He saw the bad passes and poor decisions. He saw the incorrect routes. In his judgment... QD wasn't the problem in the 1st half.
How do we know he's worse when we've never seen him get game time? If he's worse, fine. I just don't know how much I trust Butch's decision on who is better anymore...
Who says YOU need to know whether he's worse or not? This isn't a fandom democracy. It is NOT important for YOU to know. Whether Jones is right or wrong... it is HIS call, not YOURS.

I don't give trust. I have been skeptical on Jones for 5 years now. But on this... he's 100% right. People who DID see practice indicated QD was ahead. Jones played the guy who earned it and gave him a chance to turn it around when things started slow.

I agree JG needs a better attitude, but I still would have put him in to see what he could do.
QB's MUST be leaders. That's first on the check list. JG demonstrated ZERO leadership last night. He didn't get what he wanted so he sat there and sulked. If Jones had rewarded JG's behavior... he would have lost the team. At the end... you had the team and then you had JG. He either needs to join the TEAM and put his personal agenda aside or he needs to move on.

Man **** that I don't blame him for being pissed one thing u don't do is promise a player that he has a chance and dont give it to him..JD sucks if yall think he had a good game then yall sleep..JD was horrible tonight and if I'm butch I start JG next game...Callaway and Kelly save the vols because it sure wasnt the qb play

Who's "JD"?

The game is on SEC channel right now. Watch how GT guys are trying to stand up in the fourth. They got nothing left.

Dormady is our quarterback. The problem was not with him, but with the calls, and with receivers who refused to catch the ball until late in the game.

JD did not show, at any time I saw him, that he is a team player. He looked like he had no interest in what our team was doing; only wanting to go in, for his own benefit.

If a player cannot support his teammates when he is not on the field, then I do not want that player on the field expecting others to support him.

Grow up and get with the program. Meanwhile, coaches need to up their game big time, and Dormady is the least of their worries, along with our kickers and Berry returning kickoffs.

The kid needs to man up. That was embarrassing last night. Horrible display of sportsmanship and being a good teammate

if I rubbed some people the wrong way then I apologize.. im just fan I want to see the program do good..Sometimes I wear my heart on my sleeve....im not here trying to spread rumors or trying to divide the team in anyway..i was a lil upset on how I saw things play out last night just needed to vent a lil bit..again if I rubbed some people the wrong way apoplogize..I will try to be careful on some of the things I say..yall have a good day..go vols

It's all good. Sorry I jumped on you. I believe we're all a bit frustrated after last night, even with the W..

The rumor is JG is on the fence whether or not he is going to stay. It is being reported he was told he was going to play last night but it did not happen. The butthurt on the bench shows the frustrations. I wonder how this is going to play out.

All I know is that people don't just get angry for no reason at all. It may not have been the best way of handling it but if you tell a teenager one thing and then do the opposite what normally happens? You have to clearly set expectations with kids. Anyone who has raised kids knows that you don't leave wiggle room or ambiguity when communicating with a youth. Unfortunately for JG he will come off as a Prima Donna but people don't just act like that for no reason. If QD ends up lighting up the SEC and tearing them a new one then it won't matter. We will know who our QB is next year and JG won't matter. I suspect this won't be the case.

Why cause he pouts?

Was he pouting or are you just letting Herbstriet tell you he is pouting? I remember a time when the TV guys paid more attention to what happens between the lines than the bench. So Guarantano was upset? Get over it. Shows he wants to be out there.

As to my opinion of Herbstriet, I share the same opinion of him as Mike Leach. Which means his opinion goes in one ear and out the other without allowing it to congeal in the gray matter.

Quit being sheep.

Dormady never had rhythm in the 1st half. The score reflected that. All is 17 incompletions can't be blamed on the WRs either. He made bad throws, We made bad drops that didn't help either. But, to blame Dobbs for 4 yrs for bad performances and praise Dormady while placing his blame on the WRs is insane.

You guys are straight up delusional. What the first half score reflected is that that our defense was atrocious and Dormady was making his FIRST career start. Guarantano maybe should have gotten some reps, but he would have changed literally nothing about the overall course of this game unless within that thin frame of his he has beast linebacking ability hidden away in there.

Peterman was straight up garbage in his first start and never got another meaningful opportunity in an orange uniform. Dormady was FAR from Manning and FAR from garbage, meaning somewhere in the middle. To react like the guy made terrible decisions all night is what's insane.

Are we seriously at a point as a fan base where we immediately slam a kid for showing some emotions without actually knowing the reasons behind it?
Unless he just found out some tragic family news or something then there ARE no good reasons for him to behave that way. PERIOD. He wants to lead the team then because HE didn't get what HE wanted... he abandoned the team. He didn't cheer on his team.

I get that it wasn't a good look for JG or the team. But this is happening a little more often than I think most reasonable people would expect and is indicative of a larger problem within the program.
Oh? You have Hurd who Jones made the mistake with of coddling his prima donna attitude... and now you have JG. Who else? Do you think he's the only one dealing with disappointment? The only one who wants to play who isn't getting the role they want? He needs to grow up, quit pouting, go to work, and prove that he's a team leader ready to play when called upon. That's all.

Too many are looking at this like "we won, get over it" without realizing that if the game had swung the other direction or we were looking at a 43-42 loss, the microscope on the coaching and Dormady's play would be much larger than it is now. Many of the same people telling JG to get lost would be clamoring to know why he wasn't in the game, etc. etc.
Maybe. And they would be wrong.

Pretty sad that this is the most discussed topic the day after a thrilling double overtime win.

I think people are making snap judgements on this kid from a few TV clips. This kind of discussion can only stoke any flame that may or may not be happening within the program. I don't think we as fans want to have any part of hurting the program.

(For all the whiny babies who say "this is a message board, he's a man and can take it, etc....still doesn't change the fact that this isn't healthy for the team to post all sorts of conjecture here.)

Go Vols!

It's not too hard to see how it's going to play out at this point. As much as I want to see JG leading this team, it's clear that Butch has different plans.

I just hope it doesn't turn into a fiasco like the Hurd situation and creep into the rest of the team. There's a clear problem with the way the coaching staff is handling these types of situations and that's going to impact recruiting, if it hasn't already.

That the coaches will stick with a player during a rough patch in a game? Yeah recruits hate that. :)

u sure about dormady was not sulking last year?

Yeah. Pretty sure. If you find a game where he separated himself from Dobbs on the bench or wasn't near the playcaller or on a headset I'd like to see it.

I HOPE you have ZERO influence over Brandon with this sorry attitude of yours. Jones played the guy who is MOST likely to put Brandon in a position to be successful. He did not play the guy who appears to care more about himself than even a great win like that for his team.

Reactions: 1 person

VN Store

Back