Jason Witten collegiate coaching

My favorite Cowboy and one of my favorite Vols, but lets pump the breaks here. Let the man prove he can coach first before we go making room and making changes to UT's current staff. UT doesn't just need to hand out coaching gigs to a anyone that played there.

I think Witten would be a decent coach. He seems pretty down to earth and a likeable personality.
He would need to realize though that the pathway has to start somewhere as a position coach and work his way up from there...

Reactions: lukeneyland
I think Witten would be a decent coach. He seems pretty down to earth and a likeable personality.
He would need to realize though that the pathway has to start somewhere as a position coach and work his way up from there...
He’s always been a gritty team first type of guy. I say bring him in for something if he’s serious

Reactions: IndianaVol
Couldn't hurt, but the strange part of it is that outside TN, most of these 15-17 year old probably know little about him already.
He could def teach the intricacies of the TE position. And a top notch person. Buuut, that doesn't mean he can recruit and really have a dedication and passion to coach teens up. Some do. Some don't.
He absolutely has the tendency to coach that position, and develop these kids. I think he might do well in recruiting. As soon as they found out who he is, that would be a plus.

Make a place.. I think just having him around would pay dividends.
You’re right. I think recruits may just flock to him. Some that isn’t a tight end may want to try under him for a new position. I even think wide receivers may come as well, and I’m talking about good ones at that.

This. One thing Saban and now Kirby has done is taken a lot of coaches and given them analyst or assistant roles. For me, it would be no brainer for Heupel to atleast have a sit down with J Wit and even Coach Cut to see if they have any interest in analyst or coaching roles... I'd love to have Cut on staff in a non recruiting, coaching role for QB's.
It wouldn’t hurt for him to try that role with them, I think these guys could help coach Hype(that’s what I spell him, because I like Hype)😂develop players even faster, along with the coaching staff.

Couldn't hurt, but the strange part of it is that outside TN, most of these 15-17 year old probably know little about him already.
He could def teach the intricacies of the TE position. And a top notch person. Buuut, that doesn't mean he can recruit and really have a dedication and passion to coach teens up. Some do. Some don't.

I don’t get your point. So are you suggesting a guy that played nfl football at the pro-bowl level year in and year out with connections to our school and had the charisma for ABC to hire him for Monday Night Football isn’t worth a shot to give him a coaching position? How do you even logic this out...

His brother played but lost in the State Championship this year. He is a very good HS coach.

Reactions: IndianaVol

Looking at our scheme and assuming he wants to start as a TE coach, he would probably do better starting out at a Georgia or LSU, i.e. places where recruiting is easier, which would help his learning curve, and where they have a great tradition regardless of the coach. Then, if he's ready, come here, after 3-5 years, at other school(s) as OC.

Looking at our scheme and assuming he wants to start as a TE coach, he would probably do better starting out at a Georgia or LSU, i.e. places where recruiting is easier, which would help his learning curve, and where they have a great tradition regardless of the coach. Then, if he's ready, come here, after 3-5 years, at other school(s) as OC.
But my question is, is that would he even do that, being a VFL for life? To me, I don’t think he would even consider coming to an SEC team besides Knoxville. I could be wrong, but I think he would be better off to come here and start slowly learning.

VN Store

Back