JJJ ever going to be right?

AP and Hubbs said whatever they did to it to correct it in the offseason didn't work, so its sore all the time.

Sounds like he can either manage the pain the best way he can or go back under the knife. Him not playing and not practicing is option A.

I almost created a thread about this very subject. Sounds like it’s always going to be an issue and he will have to learn to play through it.

AP and Hubbs said whatever they did to it to correct it in the offseason didn't work, so its sore all the time.

Sounds like he can either manage the pain the best way he can or go back under the knife. Him not playing and not practicing is option A.

Whoever "they" are can stay the hell away from anymore UT athletes....

I wonder if JJJ would consider returning for his super season.

Here is JJJ discussing what he got done over the summer and in the preseason. I'm not a doctor and I haven't had knee pain, so I'm going to let the rest of Volnation give the diagnosis.

JJJ injury situation (knee) is starting to remind me of the Lamonte Turner injury situation (shoulder) season/career ending.

I agree. I recall Barnes saying there wasn’t anything structurally damaged to Lamonte’s shoulder and he had to learn how to play through it. I felt bad for Turner and the same for JJJ. It’s frustrating to have pain but physicians can’t diagnose.

Reactions: VOLnBama01
I get the feeling he's going to be a non-factor for the rest of the season.
Unfortunate that we don't have a suitable replacement for JJJ.

Reactions: patrick
He’s missing cartilage and they cleaned out loose pieces. The shots are not likely to work if they haven’t already. He will either have to play through it (like AJ Brown) or have season ending OATS/ACI (transplant procedure) which will be difficult to come back from for at least one year.

Some people have a higher tolerance to pain and are more likely to play through it. Some are built like a well-oiled machine and when somethings amiss they just can't work through it.

I’d be surprised if he plays. It’s in his head now
Not only that, but when you sit for a period of time, you're simply not going to be in game shape especially when you have to play this level of defense. Not only that, but while you can do some shooting, that's not the same as having to shoot while elevating over a defender. I'd have to think Barnes isn't counting on him for much and will focus on Awaka and Mashack for those minutes.

He’s missing cartilage and they cleaned out loose pieces. The shots are not likely to work if they haven’t already. He will either have to play through it (like AJ Brown) or have season ending OATS/ACI (transplant procedure) which will be difficult to come back from for at least one year.
Thanks for the clarification. To my knowledge, the graft or cartilage takes time before it can be stressed -- Would think at least a full season....

I take it this is your neck of the woods given the username.

This is as random and weird as our star Wide Receiver this year.
No, it is different. Tillman had a high ankle sprain. High ankle sprains are notorious for taking many weeks to heal WITHOUT physical activity. Tillman was still trying to condition, practice, and play on his. He was never going to be 100% after the Akron game.

I'm quite certain that the top arthroscopic surgeons in the region know what they are doing.

That's a moronic comment.

It’s not a moronic statement. There is a reason why athletes all over the country went to see Dr. James Andrews in Birmingham. All doctors are not created equal. My father-in-law experienced this first hand when he got a second opinion at Vanderbilt Medical Center after receiving his initial diagnosis and recommendation from KOC. Let me just say the surgeon at Vanderbilt was shocked by the notes sent by the orthopedist at KOC. Thank goodness he got a second opinion

Last edited:
It’s not a moronic statement. There is a reason why athletes all over the country sought out Dr. James Andrews in Birmingham. All doctors are not created equal. My father-in-law experienced it first hand when he got a second opinion at Vanderbilt Medical after receiving his diagnosis and recommendation from KOC. Let me just say the surgeon at Vanderbilt was shocked by the notes that were sent. Thank goodness for second opinions
As much as it pains me to agree, I do. I've been on both sides of the dr/pt relationship, and while the profession still has some great providers, I'm ashamed to say that it no longer deserves blind faith/trust anymore. You simply have to do your homework on your providers and be prepared. Having a very close relationship with a trusted primary care physician is a great start, but these days you have to be careful....very careful.

VN Store

Back