Joc Bruce Update

The good news is whatever weight they are currently isn't likely the weight they will be at UT. Emmanuel Moseley was like 160 soaking wet when he got here. He's up to about 185 now right? Daniel Helm went from 205 to 240. Hurd from 215 to 235. The list goes on.

I expect Abernathy maybe to add 10 pounds or so and Bruce to add maybe even 20 as he likely redshirts this year so he will be able to focus on those things.

I remember an excerpt from when Bruce was being recruited. He said the coaches came out to the high school jamboree to see him in action. At the end of the first half he had over 250 all purpose yards. Said that convinced them to offer him.

If you've played sports then you know there are some people who just have "it" when the lights turn on. Watching a kid just take over a game like he did convinced the coaches that he may have that "it" factor. Heck, look at Dobbs, slim, not that fast, inconstant throws. But when the lights turned on he was making Bama, SCAR, and Iowa defenders look stupid trying to tackle him in the open field.

So Bruce doesn't have the size to be the next Lewis or Hurd, but if he turns out to be a Stephens, then we'll be all right.

Reactions: 1 person
I don't follow baseball so I'm not sure when the draft is. When does this take place so that we'll know something in regards to Vincent Perry? As an all-purpose back, I imagine he would be in the fold for RB as well as the slot position.

Looks like another running back is on his way in finally. Per Prepxtra Knoxville News and Joc's Twitter account!

Joc Bruce plans to enroll at UT next week - PrepXtra Story

Welcome Aboard Mr. Bruce.

Can't wait till the rest of the team arrives! 99 Days!!!

:loco:

Tennesseeduke

i thoiught I read that they were going to try Bruce at slot receiver first, and maybe the occasional run on a sweep. I believe Perry will be the one who gets tried at
RB first.

lots of spread teams are killing it with smaller rbs. TCU has a few, Baylor, Mizzou, etc. Its not really about top end speed as much as it is being quick and able to cut. Being able to advance the ball is the name of the game. Its a good change up to have. Mizzou took Marcus Murphy and Hansbrough who were about 5'9 175 out of high school and made them pretty good players. Keep hearing ppl say RDA wont be good. He does what Devrin was supposed to do and has done it way better on the College level. He catches from out of the backfield, works in the slot, gets a few carries and is dynamic in the return game. He has done it in some big games like Pitt, VT, Louisville, Duke, Vandy, etc. Players like RDA, Perry and Bruce will really help in this system.

So you don't like Butch because he's been recruiting too many 4 & 5 stars?

What are you talking about? Comment had zilch, zero to do with Butch...zero. Butch has literally not been mentioned once in this thread. I was playing off of Special Ed's comment that since he was a 3star he has NFL potential....my comment made reference to the fact that during every SuperBowl lately they mention the Highschool Star ratings of the players participating in the game, with special attention to the fact there are a whole bunch of/inordinate number of 2 and 3 star players on both rosters.

How each Super Bowl 2015 starter was rated as a high school recruit - SBNation.com

Super Bowl 49: Not one starter was a 5-star recruit out of high school

Abernathy is 160 pounds..he ain't going to be a RB in the SEC..maybe KO or P returner

Oh ye of little faith. Harken back to the days of Stanley Morgan.

A wide receiver called upon to play running back in the SEC in the days of punishing run defenses, and he faired ok. Granted, he was a hall of fame player, but he did it.

Also, keep in mind that they are going to put some muscle on his frame, and he isn't going to be the #1 or even #2 back, but add depth.

What are you talking about? Comment had zilch, zero to do with Butch...zero. Butch has literally not been mentioned once in this thread. I was playing off of Special Ed's comment that since he was a 3star he has NFL potential....my comment made reference to the fact that during every SuperBowl lately they mention the Highschool Star ratings of the players participating in the game, with special attention to the fact there are a whole bunch of/inordinate number of 2 and 3 star players on both rosters.

How each Super Bowl 2015 starter was rated as a high school*recruit - SBNation.com

Super Bowl 49: Not one starter was a 5-star recruit out of high school

Relax - I was only kidding (sorry that was not obvious).

I think it's more about skillsets than size. Each style of offense has opportunities for certain skillsets that others don't. That's why the summer camps are so important to recruiting. Camps provide coaches the time and opportunity to evaluate players and their abilities.

My theory is...the smaller rb they are, the faster they need to be to make up for it. If you ain't 210+, you better be able to outrun em. How big was lamarcus cocker? He was a smaller did but he could freaking run!

yeah, lamarcus cocker was a bad did... :eek:lol:

not busting your chops, it just made me laugh out loud.

I think it's more about skillsets than size. Each style of offense has opportunities for certain skillsets that others don't. That's why the summer camps are so important to recruiting. Camps provide coaches the time and opportunity to evaluate players and their abilities.

Nothin Comes to a Sleeper but A Dream - Jocquez Bruce highlights

A few thing that stood out to me are:
1. He has great vision.
2. Quick downhill runner and uses his blockers.
3. Could be a receiving threat out of the backfield or slot.
4. Very aggressive player.
He looked pretty good on the defensive side of the ball as well. Look for him to come in and contribute on special teams as a gunner. Has a slight shot at being #4 RB. He does have a good all around skillset.
JMO of course based on the video. I agree that these camps giving coaches more measurables on recruits. So much more you can learn from camps than video.

@ 170 lbs give him a couple of rocks for his pockets, happy for any youngster on the team!

Funny you bring this up. My grandmother used to tell me to put rocks in my pocket when it stormed so that the wind wouldn't blow me away.

I think Joc can provide some much need depth and should definitely get some reps when games are out of hand in the 3rd and 4th. Anything to keep Hurd and Kamara from getting too much touches is a good thing.

i like the option of having the smaller, quick backs in this spread. If you watch any college football at all you see it every week. We got Hurd and Kamara but these other guys can work in this system. We play some teams who are trash on defense that will struggle with those types of players bc they have no speed.

I don't follow baseball so I'm not sure when the draft is. When does this take place so that we'll know something in regards to Vincent Perry? As an all-purpose back, I imagine he would be in the fold for RB as well as the slot position.

He's enrolled and on campus

Reactions: 4 people

VN Store

Back