Joe Milton discussion after game 1

I was at the game so I could see more of the field than the tv screen showed and…wow I don’t think I’ve ever seen that many guys wide open and the QB unable to see any of them. On most passing plays we had multiple guys wide open and Milton just couldn’t see them and pull the trigger. I‘ve never seen anything like it at the college level. He can’t anticipate at all. I’m not sure what kind of plays we will run against legit opponents cause what I saw tonight wouldnt even work against Vandy.
I believe it. Question is can they tap into his inner Crompton like LK did with the rollout. I do believe Huepel is > Pruett regarding QB's.

Do you even remember JG? The guy who was better at throwing to opposing players than his own?

Milton made one dangerous pass in this game to the flat. The other bad throws were uncatchable by anyone. He threw the ball away once where JG would toss it to the sideline at the first hint of pressure or get sacked.

Oh, and you left out 3 TDs. Quite convenient.
He’s better than JG at least

Did he miss some throws? Yes, they all do. Did he fail to see some open receivers? Yes, they all do (except Joe Burrow). But I think he executed the read-option really well, which showed itself in the rushing numbers. He showed the ability to extend plays. He got rid of the ball when he needed to, except for the fumble. Showed good zip on the ball and good short-to-mid range accuracy. And most importantly.... he carried himself like a leader. This is where the JG comparisions are way off base. You'll never see Milton rolling around on the ground like a soccer player when he's not really hurt. You won't see him throw up his hands when things go wrong like a 13-year-old kid. You won't see him walking up and down the sideline with his head down like he's about to cry. Milton is a warrior. You can see it in the way he carries himself, and that makes him "okay" in my book. He'll need to do better at finding open receivers and connect on more deep balls to enter the "good" category, but I'm fine with that. Believe it or not we can win 7 games with what he showed us tonight. 9 or 10 if he goes through progressions better and improves the deep ball accuracy.

As mentioned what game did you watch?

I was at the game so I could see more of the field than the tv screen showed and…wow I don’t think I’ve ever seen that many guys wide open and the QB unable to see any of them. On most passing plays we had multiple guys wide open and Milton just couldn’t see them and pull the trigger. I‘ve never seen anything like it at the college level. He can’t anticipate at all. I’m not sure what kind of plays we will run against legit opponents cause what I saw tonight wouldnt even work against Vandy.
ok, Armchair Manning

Did he miss some throws? Yes, they all do. Did he fail to see some open receivers? Yes, they all do (except Joe Burrow). But I think he executed the read-option really well, which showed itself in the rushing numbers. He showed the ability to extend plays. He got rid of the ball when he needed to, except for the fumble. Showed good zip on the ball and good short-to-mid range accuracy. And most importantly.... he carried himself like a leader. This is where the JG comparisions are way off base. You'll never see Milton rolling around on the ground like a soccer player when he's not really hurt. You won't see him throw up his hands when things go wrong like a 13-year-old kid. You won't see him walking up and down the sideline with his head down like he's about to cry. Milton is a warrior. You can see it in the way he carries himself, and that makes him "okay" in my book. He'll need to do better at finding open receivers and connect on more deep balls to enter the "good" category, but I'm fine with that. Believe it or not we can win 7 games with what he showed us tonight. 9 or 10 if he goes through progressions better and improves the deep ball accuracy.
Dude they could win the national title and some of these bozo's on here will still whine about something...Not sure what everybody expected with the team we have...Most of our talent LEFT and yet we just won 38-6...Coach Majors was right, The fans here are the legions of the miserable.

So I have the pleasure (or displeasure) of being married into a family of Michigan football fans. I watch Michigan almost as regularly as my Vols, just to have good football conversation with my in-laws. The one thing I would always tell my brother in law last season, was that “the only quarterback I know worse than JG is that kid from Michigan”… unfortunately that kid was Joe Milton. I really want him to succeed at UT, but unfortunately all I saw out of him tonight was more of what I’ve seen out of him in the past. Pulling for him to “figure it out” GBO!

I thought he was average. I also think he will improve.

I know this, that little ‘stand still and shuffle your feet’ thing he does is going to get him kilt in SEC play. You don’t have time for all that cutesy High School stuff.

Big arm, needs to add some finesse, very “Feleipe Franks before Mullen” on his throws, but reps and coaching can improve that.

I was underwhelmed by his running ability, I thought he was a little faster and more elusive than what she showed tonight.

He’ll get better as the season goes, it has to click for him that he’s got this cannon attached to his shoulder and if he learns to pull the trigger good things will happen. Work on timing.

A couple bad drops by WR’s too.
The drops are legit. The missed wide open throws were too. This was bad competition and he looked worse than them. Jmo.

This might actually be a good thing. Force him to act quicker. He looked spoiled for choice today. Paralyzed by all the time and options.

I agree. He had too much time to think in the pocket and wanted to go for the bomb because he could.

His reads need to be faster and more instinctual.

Reactions: KnoxKid
I was dissappointed too. He is slow to make his post snap reads. He is having to think too much and not play. He has trouble converting on third downs, His passes are very flat and hard. Not receiver friendly.

Do you even remember JG? The guy who was better at throwing to opposing players than his own?

Milton made one dangerous pass in this game to the flat. The other bad throws were uncatchable by anyone. He threw the ball away once where JG would toss it to the sideline at the first hint of pressure or get sacked.

How does JG being a bad QB, excuse what we watched tonight?

He makes slow decisions and runs like he has cement cleats. On the plus side he uses his strong arm to compensate for slow decisions.

I do think there are some throws he demonstrated at Michigan (slants, swing passes, and seams) that were not used much (or missed) tonight but are part of his game.

I am a Milton-skeptic but will be very happy to be proven wrong.

If Milton is the best that Heupel can get out of that QB room, then it's going to be a painful 4 seasons till the next coaching search.

LOL. After one game and this is your mindset.

The year we lost to Ga State we still won 5 SEC games and a bowl, even with Pruitt & JG at the helm.

How about some patience & calm instead?

I kept thinking, 'Let's see Hooker!'. That's how bad it was in my mind. I hope JM is the answer. He sure didn't look like it tonight.

Reactions: ChiefTKE

if this was his worst game then you are right, but like JG he was talked up in practice and fell flat on game day. I trust Heupel with QB's though and believe we will achieve more regardless.

Dude they could win the national title and some of these bozo's on here will still whine about something...Not sure what everybody expected with the team we have...Most of our talent LEFT and yet we just won 38-6...Coach Majors was right, The fans here are the legions of the miserable.

Please... national title complaints?

This was Bowling Green. A terrible team that will end with a terrible record.

GTFO of here with that straw man nonsense.

This might actually be a good thing. Force him to act quicker. He looked spoiled for choice today. Paralyzed by all the time and options.

image-asset.jpeg

Reactions: CaliVol2009
Not a Milton apologist by any means. But if we had guys running wide open it sounds like the plays that were dialed up were good ones. Milton or whoever plays QB, has to get them the ball.

Nah. I am positive we are headed in a better coaching situation, but also certain if QB play and some other aspects don't shore up we are in for a 4 win season. Not miserable about it, but done with delusions too.

VN Store

Back