John Brice twitter

Check my edit.

We are made fun of because we are not winning at a high level and our coach says stupid things. You think this type of stuff is unique to Tennessee? Its everywhere. We are just more self conscious about it because we think we are awesome...and we are not. But hey...next year is our year.....right?

Reactions: 3 people
He wasn't hired to be a coach just an analyst. The real reason he was hired was because of his ties to IMG. If you will notice the good IMG kids only go to a very few elite schools. In order to get the good guys out of IMG you have to take care of the IMG coaches. Its been that way since they started a few years back. Nobody wants to admit it but that place is as much a place for pimps as anything.

Only volnation would melt down over not hiring Chris Wrinkle. The dude that won 2 NFL games and tied for the longest losing streak in history. And has only coached for 2 years. 2 mediocre years, nonetheless

Not even gonna fix that autocorrect

Reactions: 1 person
I will say though..its funny we are all ecstatic that we are hiring coaches from the Rams and the Jags and Alabama adds a coach from the Pats.

We are made fun of because we are not winning at a high level and our coach says stupid things. You think this type of stuff is unique to Tennessee? Its everywhere. We are just more self conscious about it because we think we are awesome...and we are not. But hey...next year is our year.....right?

Yes, it is our year and you are right.

As has been pointed out, Canales coached Rivers his soph and jr seasons.....and Rivers was better his freshman and senior seasons, when someone else was his qb coach. Otherwise, there's bupkis for Canales iirc.

So what makes Weinke a better QB coach, IYO? The 8 weeks he spent working with Cam Newton in 2011 during the NFL lockout? Or the two seasons he spent as QB coach with the Rams until he was replaced when Fisher was fired? I honestly don't see anything in his coaching experience that tells me he would be a better QB coach than Canales.

I need to edit my post to say i am vaguely familiar with his playing career. However, I don't think its that big of a deal. Noone offered him a position coach job. He is not even a coach at Alabama.

This is odd though, being on the positive side and you being on the negative side.lol

Haha, I'm really not on either side yet, I was just joking, and I agree with you. It just seemed that some think just because Saban hired him, he is Gods gift.

Haha, I'm really not on either side yet, I was just joking, and I agree with you. It just seemed that some think just because Saban hired him, he is Gods gift.

Yep, but that is where we are at. Had Hart never mentioned retirement and UT came out yesterday and said Hart is retiring and we hired Currie, 95% of the fanbase wouldn't give a crap. But they have been listening to the 24 media cycle for the last several months tell them that the only person on the universe with the ability to be UTAD is Blackburn.

Yep, but that is where we are at. Had Hart never mentioned retirement and UT came out yesterday and said Hart is retiring and we hired Currie, 95% of the fanbase wouldn't give a crap. But they have been listening to the 24 media cycle for the last several months tell them that the only person on the universe with the ability to be UTAD is Blackburn.

I believe you are as right as you've ever been, about that.

So what makes Weinke a better QB coach, IYO? The 8 weeks he spent working with Cam Newton in 2011 during the NFL lockout? Or the two seasons he spent as QB coach with the Rams until he was replaced when Fisher was fired? I honestly don't see anything in his coaching experience that tells me he would be a better QB coach than Canales.

We have what, 20+ years of meh with Canales with nothing but transient moving around from primarily low level program to low level program, not really able to even settle on a particular position to coach.....he comes to us from Utah State where he was coaching running backs.

Weinke played qb at the highest collegiate level at FSU, won a heisman trophy as their qb......played qb in the NFL, was one of 32 NFL qb coaches on the planet the last 2 seasons.

I can't definitively say he's better than Canales, don't have first hand knowledge to be sure.....but who's resume suggests they are likely the better qb coaching prospect? I'm gonna go with Weinke.

Reactions: 5 people
I stood beside Canales at the Dierks concert Saturday. Dude dyes his hair. Can't be trusted.

Reactions: 3 people
Could've gotten a 2-fer.....

1. IMG pipeline coordinator
2. Well thought of qb coach with NFL experience.

Instead we got......Utah State's running backs coach.

And again, we passed on a guy that Nick Saban saw fit to bring aboard, no matter the capacity.

Seriously? Nick Saban hired Bo Davis, who got fired for NCAA infractions. He now works at UT-San Antonio. Does that mean it was a good hire?

Just because Saban hires someone doesn't automatically means it's good.

We have what, 20+ years of meh with Canales with nothing but transient moving around from primarily low level program to low level program, not really able to even settle on a particular position to coach.....he comes to us from Utah State where he was coaching running backs.

Weinke played qb at the highest collegiate level at FSU, won a heisman trophy as their qb......played qb in the NFL, was one of 32 NFL qb coaches on the planet the last 2 seasons.

I can't definitively say he's better than Canales, don't have first hand knowledge to be sure.....but who's resume suggests they are likely the better qb coaching prospect? I'm gonna go with Weinke.

For CBJ the experience in coaching players that run a similar system that we run could have been the deciding factor. Weinke may be the better coach for a drop back pro system but since we run an option heavy offense Canales may be the better fit.

Seriously? Nick Saban hired Bo Davis, who got fired for NCAA infractions. He now works at UT-San Antonio. Does that mean it was a good hire?

Just because Saban hires someone doesn't automatically means it's good.

If anyone needs an escape goat it's Saban. If you can't pick out the "mark".

One guy's coached over 20 years...the other TWO. I'll go with Canales.

Reactions: 2 people

And again, we passed on a guy that Nick Saban saw fit to bring aboard, no matter the capacity.

Not only was he Utah State's RB coach, but THEY passed on him for offensive coordinator.

Exactly, but see that would make too much sense... another poor decision by Butch.... the list is getting quite long... but hey, we got another one of his buddies, so its all good. I am sure he's gonna kill it in recruiting more than someone like a Weinke would with direct ties to IMG and is still relevant... :good!:

VN Store

Back