Jones opens up on DeBord hire, developing QBs and more

"With Mike DeBord, he has the same offensive philosophies. We've really benefited from the experience he’s gained in the last five years in the National Football League. We've really benefited from him being a year-and-a-half off of football and studying every football program from college to the National Football League. He's a tremendous, tremendous communicator, and our kids have gravitated toward him immediately."

Its one thing to point out that you don't forget football in two years, but to actually try to sell it as a benefit that he was busy being an olympic sports coordinators? Any takers?

Yeah... It's not like DeBord was an analyst (see, Rich Rod) where he was out of coachin but not out of football. The guy had a full time, non-football administrator job.

I'm not excited about the hire (I think either the "search" was a sham, or DeBord was the only one who wasn't going to make staff changes) but I'm trusting CBJ. That said, don't piss on my back and tell me it's raining.

Reactions: 3 people
Yeah... It's not like DeBord was an analyst (see, Rich Rod) where he was out of coachin but not out of football. The guy had a full time, non-football administrator job.

I'm not excited about the hire (I think either the "search" was a sham, or DeBord was the only one who wasn't going to make staff changes) but I'm trusting CBJ. That said, DON'T PISS ON MY BACK AND TELL ME IT'S RAINING!

Somebody doesn't like their job. :)

He is who i hoped we would hire. If we changed the offense around it would set our team back another year and some of the people we recruited wouldn't be as good of a fit. The team is able to continue on with little change and spend their time getting better instead of learning a whole new playbook with an OC that is trying to use us as a stepping stone to a new job.

Reactions: 3 people
He is who i hoped we would hire. If we changed the offense around it would set our team back another year and some of the people we recruited wouldn't be as good of a fit. The team is able to continue on with little change and spend their time getting better instead of learning a whole new playbook with an OC that is trying to use us as a stepping stone to a new job.

I can't say that he is who I hoped we would hire. To be honest I wasn't hoping for anyone in particular. Other than that, I agree with your post. Will he add some plays. Yes. Will he change things up a little. Probably yes. But all in all things are going to continue moving forward instead of taking the normal step backwards most teams take during a coaching change.

Butch Jones is about to make a damn fool out of a lot of people around here. Debord will have the last laugh!

That's my hope! I trust Butch. We stunk statistically year on offense. Granted, much of that changed after Dobbs, but we can improve a lot.

Butch has got to feel good about getting an OC that will be around for a long time. I see debord being here as long as Butch is... and I hope that's a long time!

Reactions: 1 person
Ok my bad, I thought CRG come in and secured North. Sorry, like I said that's been 2 classes ago alot has happened since then plus I've slept to so my CRS syndrome kicks in ever so often.

Ahhhhhh good ole CRS syndrome. Why, I remember just the other day my old lady and I were chatting and... uhhhhh...

What were we talking about again?

Here we go with this same old crap again. You guys seriously know how much time he had available to study football during his previous job at UM? That is enlightening. Wish I knew how you guys obtain all this in-depth information. You realize colleges have quite a few jobs like that where they pay people good money with some trumped up title and they do very little. There are reports he spent quite a bit of time at UM practices at the request of the head coach. You guys acting like you know what he did with his time the last two years crack me up. He might not have studied any football (doubtful) or he might have studied it day and night. You have no idea.

Reactions: 2 people
Here we go with this same old crap again. You guys seriously know how much time he had available to study football during his previous job at UM? That is enlightening. Wish I knew how you guys obtain all this in-depth information. You realize colleges have quite a few jobs like that where they pay people good money with some trumped up title and they do very little. There are reports he spent quite a bit of time at UM practices at the request of the head coach. You guys acting like you know what he did with his time the last two years crack me up. He might not have studied any football (doubtful) or he might have studied it day and night. You have no idea.

My guess is it was somewhere between the two. I would also guess that it was probably a whole hell of a lot closer to the second than the first.

My take:
People just like to get there panties in a wad on here.

That's my hope! I trust Butch. We stunk statistically year on offense. Granted, much of that changed after Dobbs, but we can improve a lot.

Honestly we were competitive with Worley under center and Hurd in the backfield. With Dobbs under center, and with Hurd in the backfield we were a very dangerous team last year.

How's that working out for that coach?

Butch: "We are exceedingly fortunate that Mike spent a couple of years raising cattle and chickens, studying the behavior of cattle and chickens--as their behavior in some way relates to the behavior of football players and teams. Football players, like cattle, must be fed grain and knowledge. We don't knock them dead later, but we expect them to use the Power T to knock heads, if you will, with our opponents. So in that way we are very lucky to have Mike."

How's that working out for that coach?

LMAO, that's an indictment on DeBord? Seriously? That does not even have anything to do with the argument. People are claiming that because of his job he did not have time to devote to football. That is obviously not true.

Butch has got to feel good about getting an OC that will be around for a long time. I see debord being here as long as Butch is... and I hope that's a long time!

I hope it's a long time as well!

Sunseri was here as long as Dooley, and we all know why...

Are the Vol's going to the olympics, thanks to Mr. Debord?

Haha........ There are ya happy now? Somebody laughed at your lil joke!

Now can we just drop these idiotic comments and jokes about OUR OC?

They got old oh, I don't know bout 2 hrs after they started.

He's part of our coaching staff now like it or leave.

Reactions: 2 people

VN Store

Back