Jones' QB indecision is gonna be nail in the coffin

I think it's more that scheme than anything. Haven't had a real good line since Jones showed up. Too many recruits that everyone wanted to say they're just busts.

Could be. His best OL was the one Dooley left him.

I was in the dormady camp at the beginning of the season but I think they need to give JG some more reps. They haven't yet helped him out and put him in a situation to be successful. He's gotten six meaningful drives in both of our cupcake games combined not nearly enough

I don't have an issue with him trying a new QB but do it in the first half, not when the game is in doubt.

You should have a problem any time your coach starts groping in the dark.... and doesn't seem to recognize where the problems in his O lie.

If the OL were better and UT had a couple of reliable vets at WR... QD would be doing better and JG would do better too.

I was in the dormady camp at the beginning of the season but I think they need to give JG some more reps. They haven't yet helped him out and put him in a situation to be successful. He's gotten six meaningful drives in both of our cupcake games combined not nearly enough

So he isn't ready from a mental and decision making standpoint to succeed with this particular team against ISU and UMass... but he needs more drives against much better teams?

The play of JG today SHOULD HAVE illustrated one thing clearly. The major problems on O aren't at the QB position.

So he isn't ready from a mental and decision making standpoint to succeed with this particular team against ISU and UMass... but he needs more drives against much better teams?

The play of JG today SHOULD HAVE illustrated one thing clearly. The major problems on O aren't at the QB position.

No I see what you're saying. The o-line play has definitely been iffy and the receivers as a whole haven't helped out much. Throw coaching into that and we're here. I'm not saying Guarantano should have gotten reps against GT or Florida just think he just have more opportunities against lesser opponents

I was really hoping for a much better passing attack this year. Wishful thinking on my part. We still cannot get elite OL play from highly rated players. Still dont have elite WR play. The only place where we have an elite player is at RB.

In today's world, JG will transfer instead of learn and wait for his time. Too many voices in his ear will tell him to move to greener loking pastures. Nostradoumas prediction

No I see what you're saying. The o-line play has definitely been iffy and the receivers as a whole haven't helped out much. Throw coaching into that and we're here. I'm not saying Guarantano should have gotten reps against GT or Florida just think he just have more opportunities against lesser opponents

I would disagree even more with that. The starting O rotation needs as much live play together as they can get. Judging from the last two weeks... JG shouldn't have seen the field vs ISU. In this game, Jones wasted 3 series that may make the difference vs UGA. A couple more scores and UT goes in with some confidence. Now the players have to wonder if the coaches have confidence in Dormady. Both Dormady and JG have to wonder if the poor play of others will get them yanked.

Dormady isn't as good as the Clausens, Jeff Francis, or even Andy Kelly were, but he's light years better than Guarantano right now.

QD would be fine if he was actually a good QB. He has the measurables and the strong accurate arm. He's just not a gamer, period.

JG hasn't had one lick of help from any of his receivers in either the spring game or today. I feel for him. High snaps, dropped passes, fumbled handoffs. It's tough. I'd love to have seen him play the ENTIRE SECOND HALF, as should have been the case.

BUT WE COULDN'T PUT UMASS AWAY?

Have you missed the bad snaps to Dormady and the dropped passes from Dormady?

Iffy? In an article posted on here last night that was pro-JG, they gave the stat that there has been 37 QB hurries in 109 dropbacks in the first 3 games. That's horrible pass protection.

In today's world, JG will transfer instead of learn and wait for his time. Too many voices in his ear will tell him to move to greener loking pastures. Nostradoumas prediction

I want him to stay, but it might be better for him to leave like it was for Peterman unless we change coaches soon.

Have you missed the bad snaps to Dormady and the dropped passes from Dormady?
Those things have a lot bigger impact when you only have 12 plays as opposed to 100. (I still think Dormady should be the starter)

Last edited:
I would disagree even more with that. The starting O rotation needs as much live play together as they can get. Judging from the last two weeks... JG shouldn't have seen the field vs ISU. In this game, Jones wasted 3 series that may make the difference vs UGA. A couple more scores and UT goes in with some confidence. Now the players have to wonder if the coaches have confidence in Dormady. Both Dormady and JG have to wonder if the poor play of others will get them yanked.

Agree with everything else but not about the confidence in Dormady.
There was an article at the end of the week that had stated JG was going to get a chance to play. Dormady was already fully aware and supportive. Said that JG had had a tremendous week of practice. Dormady did not believe he was coming out because of lack of confidence.

I really believe that Dormady was a little gimpy so Butcher put JG in. I also think they approached him after the three series debacle to see if he could go and he said yes.

I want him to stay, but it might be better for him to leave like it was for Peterman unless we change coaches soon.

Those things have a lot bigger impact when you only have 12 plays as opposed to 100. (I still think Dormady should be the starter)

But people ignore it, and are quick to say "the o-line isn't protecting, the receivers are dropping balls, bad snaps" but ignore all those things with QD. Why? He's dealing with the same stuff.

Agree with everything else but not about the confidence in Dormady.
There was an article at the end of the week that had stated JG was going to get a chance to play. Dormady was already fully aware and supportive. Said that JG had had a tremendous week of practice. Dormady did not believe he was coming out because of lack of confidence.

I hope you are right. Dormady has enough to deal with without looking over his shoulder.

Dormady wasn't the problem today. It was the oline. The running game sucked monkey balls.

But people ignore it, and are quick to say "the o-line isn't protecting, the receivers are dropping balls, bad snaps" but ignore all those things with QD. Why? He's dealing with the same stuff.

Well, I think at one point QD was 15-20.
Garauntano flat out sucked. 3 series. 11 passing yards.

I really believe that Dormady was a little gimpy so Butcher put JG in. I also think they approached him after the three series debacle to see if he could go and he said yes.

He definitely limped off the field after a series in the 2nd half.

I hope you are right. Dormady has enough to deal with without looking over his shoulder.

I agree. The story also said that in no way means the qb battle was back on, just wanting to make sure the backup had experience.

The story is on WBIR if you want to check it out. Just Google "Jones says Guarantano will play".

Why is everyone asking for JG..The eyeball test says he is horrible and cant even do a hand off.. Maybe next year

Based on what? His monster numbers against bad competition?

Because everybody is fixated on the 'zone read' running concept and nobody seems to notice the layered west coast passing tree is the apple of Butch's eye . He wants the QB that executes the passing game. It is a mystery why they keep wasting plays on the zone runs with QD. It i a mystery why they marry these two concepts regardless of the QB's ability to run it ( Dobbs could not execute the WC passing game ) They should taylor their offense to the players skiill set

Because everybody is fixated on the 'zone read' running concept and nobody seems to notice the layered west coast passing tree is the apple of Butch's eye . He wants the QB that executes the passing game. It is a mystery why they keep wasting plays on the zone runs with QD. It i a mystery why they marry these two concepts regardless of the QB's ability to run it ( Dobbs could not execute the WC passing game ) They should taylor their offense to the players skiill set

Quoted for truth. Vols' offense has no identity. Need to match the system and plays with the talent.

Dormady wasn't the problem today. It was the oline. The running game sucked monkey balls.
I agree with this. Wasn't JG's fault either.

Dormady should remain the starter and we should get a coach with an offensive system better than Butch's.

VN Store

Back