Jordan Gainey commits to Tennessee

Gainey literally won the MSU GAME at the line with his FT under incredible pressure.
MSU's entire student body errupted when the first attempt missed Gainey calmly sealed the win with his no net 2nd shot
This was a first game vs a great MSU team with full momentum
This one game proved his worth N0 /VESCOVI OR ZEKE ====== NO PROBLEM

Reactions: spyfish007
I know it's way, way early, but I confess that I didn't see him being this good. Thought he'd be a depth piece but didn't think he was someone that we needed. Felt like a physical banger in the paint was more pressing. Gotta say he looks like he's gonna be someone defenses will have to account for if he can shoot it like that. For that matter, opponents will have to pick their poison on defense. Vescovi has to be licking his chops knowing we have so many other shooters for teams to worry about.

Through 4 games, 3 in Italy and now 1 against MSU, the combo of Gainey and Knecht have combined to shoot 28-64 from 3, good for 44%. Gainey is 13-30 for 43% and Knecht is 15-34 for 44%, i know the Italy trip wasn’t top competition, but the MSU game sure didn’t seem to indicate they’d struggle, and that’s without a single home game which typically our guys have shot better at home than on the road.

Gonna be really fun to track Gainey, Knecht and Vescovi perimeter shooting throughout the year, nice to have more than 1 option so if someone is having that off night from deep, and so much less pressure on Santi now to continually light it up from 3.

Through 4 games, 3 in Italy and now 1 against MSU, the combo of Gainey and Knecht have combined to shoot 28-64 from 3, good for 44%. Gainey is 13-30 for 43% and Knecht is 15-34 for 44%, i know the Italy trip wasn’t top competition, but the MSU game sure didn’t seem to indicate they’d struggle, and that’s without a single home game which typically our guys have shot better at home than on the road.

Gonna be really fun to track Gainey, Knecht and Vescovi perimeter shooting throughout the year, nice to have more than 1 option so if someone is having that off night from deep, and so much less pressure on Santi now to continually light it up from 3.

Nowwwwww I’ll admit I was wrong about Gainey. Looked good out there against MSU.

We’ll have a good early test against Wisconsin next weekend to see how well this offense performs. MSU is clearly the better team, but going to Wisconsin will be a tough road test with just 1 “warm-up” game so we’ll have a chance to see how this team responds when it counts.

Looking forward to watching this team. I think they are going to be a lot of fun. I really enjoyed the pace with which we played on both sides of the court. I know Barnes has said in the past that he wants us to play quick, but we never really have. We did against MSU and I hope that is what we can expect all year. We might dip a bit in defensive efficiency, but we’ll be a lot more fun to watch and hopefully a lot more efficient on offense to counter that defensive dip.

Happy to see this. I enjoy seeing guys who were mis-scouted in HS prove they can play at a higher level.

Reactions: Godfatha
I like Gainey.. But to be fair Key looked like an All-American in the game against Gonzaga last year and this was a disappointment.

Bump.

Unfortunately my comparison was a bit off with comparing Gainey to Key. Even with Key being a disappointment, Gainey has been even worse unfortunately.

Key on 3s: 47/141 for .333%

Gainey in 3s: 35/122 for .287%

Bump.

Unfortunately my comparison was a bit off with comparing Gainey to Key. Even with Key being a disappointment, Gainey has been even worse unfortunately.

So, what you’re saying is if this team had Tyreke Key we’d be a Final Four lock?

I know it's way, way early, but I confess that I didn't see him being this good. Thought he'd be a depth piece but didn't think he was someone that we needed. Felt like a physical banger in the paint was more pressing. Gotta say he looks like he's gonna be someone defenses will have to account for if he can shoot it like that. For that matter, opponents will have to pick their poison on defense. Vescovi has to be licking his chops knowing we have so many other shooters for teams to worry about.
Cav you're a moran!

Bump.

Gainey better at 2’s and FT, but they are pretty much a wash across the board statistically…the TS% and EFG% give a slightly better picture than just looking at 3pt%. With that said Gainey’s 3pt shooting has definitely been a disappointment.

Since SEC play started in early January, Gainey has had maybe 5 good games against 19 SEC opponents. That’s it. His shooting % is poor and he hasn’t been able to translate to higher level to date.

Reactions: Rocky Top T
This team is as good as any team in the country; however, they also I think have some ego issues and could lose in round 1.

Ego? I wish. I don't think we have enough ego/alpha/confidence/fight on this roster.

I don’t think ego is the same thing as having confidence. I definitely think this team has read some of their own press clippings recently about being a 1 seed and a favorite to make the final four and just expected it to be easy.

Reactions: StoneokeyVol
I don’t think ego is the same thing as having confidence. I definitely think this team has read some of their own press clippings recently about being a 1 seed and a favorite to make the final four and just expected it to be easy.
Good point. One thing that just puzzles me is that this is a veteran team. They know how hard it is to reach the point of getting a top 2 seed and the opportunity that comes with it. Would be a shame to let it slip away without giving it your best shot. One of the harshest things in life is looking back with regret. Should be interesting to see how it all plays out for them.

Somebody has to give relief minutes - TN can’t play 30+ games with a 6/7 man rotation. The coaches have lots of evidence in practice to validate playing JG over one of the freshman options on the perimeter.

Reactions: TrumpedUpVol

VN Store

Back