Josh Dobbs vs Vince Young....Who would you take?

VY was impossible to stop in college. Dobbs doesn't pass as well.

Statistically Dobbs was better at the same stage in their careers. Vince however made a huge leap from year 3 to year 4 at Texas.

The question is can Josh make a similar leap?

I think so.

Just remember, before the 2005 season, Texas fans were questioning whether Vince Young was a good enough passer to win them a national title. Not too different from how many feel around here about Dobbs.

Vince answered those critics by basically doubling all his passing stats in 2005 and carrying his team to a national title.

I believe Josh has the same potential. He'll shut up folks like you that doubt his passing ability.

I believe he has the potential to make a similar leap. The question is if he doesn't ,will it shut you up? I'm thinking no. It will be someone else's fault.

Reactions: 1 person
Statistically Dobbs was better at the same stage in their careers. Vince however made a huge leap from year 3 to year 4 at Texas.

I think so.

I sure hope so.

JD now has weapons to take advantage of this year. Just that one element SHOULD make a big difference. As far as we all know every other element in the passing game is also better. Only question is can Dobbs be consistent enough to up his game. He could and should make a huge leap in his passing game this year.

BUT,

No way to mention him and VY in the same sentence at the moment though. Would be fantastic if by the end of the 2016-17 season people were comparing them 2. Just not yet by a long shot.

Thank all that is good and right, we got a new Josh Dobbs thread going before the previous one played out...I was beginning to think we'd have a gap in coverage, there.

Whew.

Just remember, before the 2005 season, Texas fans were questioning whether Vince Young was a good enough passer to win them a national title. Not too different from how many feel around here about Dobbs.

Vince answered those critics by basically doubling all his passing stats in 2005 and carrying his team to a national title.

I believe Josh has the same potential. He'll shut up folks like you that doubt his passing ability.

No they weren't. His accuracy was being questioned by scouts as far as a potential NFL career, also in part due to his sidearm throwing mechanics.

By 2005 Texas fans were all on board / gung ho about him leading them to a national championship after a 12-1 season, a top 5 finish, and his leading them to a Rose Bowl victory over Michigan the year before.

Reactions: 3 people
Vince easily. I never feared Dobbs. With Vince, well, you better not chase VY out of the pocket...

Stats are nice but I fail to see the comparison having seen both of them in my conference

I think so.

You're relying way too much on stats. Too simpleton. Get up to speed brother....it's all about the tape, the tape I tell ya!

Reactions: 3 people

I'm not sure anything will shut you up. Young didn't have anywhere close the criticism of current performance and heading forward that Dobbs does. Again, I hope Dobbs throws for 10,000 yards this season, but at this point any comparison to Young is just laughable.

Need to let Josh's senior season play out before trying to compare and choose who we'd prefer. Josh may take the type of similar quantum leap that VY did or he may not. Either way, he's gonna be the leader that takes us to Atlanta for an SECCG appearance IMO.

And I know this. I'd take Dobbs 1,000 out of 1,000 times as the face of a program and outstanding human being. He'll do a helluva lot more in life than Vince could ever imagine.

Reactions: 2 people
No they weren't. His accuracy was being questioned by scouts as far as a potential NFL career, also in part due to his sidearm throwing mechanics.

By 2005 Texas fans were all on board / gung ho about him leading them to a national championship after a 12-1 season, a top 5 finish, and his leading them to a Rose Bowl victory over Michigan the year before.

:shhh: These narratives aren't going to serve themselves.

This comparison suffers from way too much "A bird in the hand" context, meaning what we historically know happened with Young as opposed to all we can do is wait and see what happens with Dobbs. (though I'd be thrilled to see the comparison be relevant at the end of 2016)

As an aside just consider what Young might have been with Dobb's character and work ethic.

Go DVR "The Season 2005" on the Longhorn Network. It chronicles the 2005 Texas Longhorns football team. Its about 4 hours long and includes lots of news coverage from 2005.

The first 15 minutes cover spring camp for the 2005 Longhorns and that's the major topic in Austin. Can Vince improve enough as a passer to lead Texas to a national title?

I'm not the one who made that up. That's what the documetary starts with.

Last edited:
There was that Rose Bowl the year before as well.

Also the game where he beat OSU during the regular season. Last year Dobbs had the opportunity to beat UF, Bama, Ark, and OU by putting together one final 4th quarter drive, 2 of them didn't even have to be scoring drives, and he didn't. When the stakes were at their highest he couldn't deliver. Spin it any way you want, but if Dobbs keeps the team on the field against UF or drives to a score against Bama, then we are talking about him being a UT legend.

The funniest thing about this whole debate is that it started out as a joke on Fox Sports Radio with Houston Kress essentially posing the question for fun and laughs, and now it;s blown up to be covered by ESPN analysts like Bomani, Clemson Tom is talking about it, and lol even the joke that is Total Frat Move has an article up about it.

It's hilarious how this has gotten blown up so badly when it was meant as a joke.

I'm not sure anything will shut you up. Young didn't have anywhere close the criticism of current performance and heading forward that Dobbs does. Again, I hope Dobbs throws for 10,000 yards this season, but at this point any comparison to Young is just laughable.

Dobbs doesn't get much criticism other than from loudmouth like you.

But FYI if you don't believe what I said, just watch "The Season 2005" on the Longhorn Network. I got that from that broadcast. It showed old footage from 2005 during Texas spring practice and the question then (like there was at Tennessee's spring practice) was whether Vince could improve enough as a passer to lead Texas to a national title.

Remember, he only threw for 1800 yards and 12 TDs to 11 INTs in 2004. That's worse than Dobbs in a significantly weaker conference than Dobbs is playing in right now.

Also the game where he beat OSU during the regular season. Last year Dobbs had the opportunity to beat UF, Bama, Ark, and OU by putting together one final 4th quarter drive, 2 of them didn't even have to be scoring drives, and he didn't. When the stakes were at their highest he couldn't deliver. Spin it any way you want, but if Dobbs keeps the team on the field against UF or drives to a score against Bama, then we are talking about him being a UT legend.

Uhhh Dobbs did put us in position to beat Florida with a 1 minute drive that set up a 50 yard FG before 5 yards were tacked on for that top many men on the field penalty.

He was clutch during that final drive when Butch let him finally pass. He completed 3 passes for first downs and also escaped a sure sack to gain 8 yards on the ground.

Against Alabama he didn't get a chance because the o-line got beat so easily for sacks.

Arkansas and Oklahoma are the only games you can say he didn't come through in the clutch.

But FYI if you don't believe what I said, just watch "The Season 2005" on the Longhorn Network. I got that from that broadcast. It showed old footage from 2005 during Texas spring practice and the question then (like there was at Tennessee's spring practice) was whether Vince could improve enough as a passer to lead Texas to a national title.

Remember, he only threw for 1800 yards and 12 TDs to 11 INTs in 2004. That's worse than Dobbs in a significantly weaker conference than Dobbs is playing in right now.

Lol, you are the biggest loudmouth on the damn board. Please, make another thread about how Josh Dobbs is the greatest QB in the history of the game. Most of us love him as our QB, but notice inadequacies in his passing game that have yet to be shown as better.

Even though watching you fall flat on your face with another failed prognostication would be fun, I hope that you are dead on with your prediction about Dobbs. If you aren't and we win 4 games this year, I will still be here as a fan and you will have hit the road and latched on to another bandwagon that you can claim to be the expert on.

Reactions: 7 people
On tape Dobbs is much better than Vince as a passer.

Vince is the better runner though.

If the two switched places we wouldnt have had the Oklahoma loss and the Florida loss. The jury is still out on Dobbs and honestly I don't see him making a huge improvement. He'll get Florida or bama not both. Most likely be the former even if they play bama twice.

I do think it's interesting that in making your comparison you leave out that Young rushed for over 1,000 yards in 2004.

You know, I've been on volnation for many years and I've never seen someone become so vilified for loving a quarterback more than his mom more than D4H. It's quite comical 😂 but he does have a point in the comparisons and I do think Dobbs has the ability to get better and prove alot of doubters wrong. The guy is only getting bigger, stronger, faster, and he's a quick learner. We'll see!!! GBO!

Uhhh Dobbs did put us in position to beat Florida with a 1 minute drive that set up a 50 yard FG before 5 yards were tacked on for that top many men on the field penalty.

He was clutch during that final drive when Butch let him finally pass. He completed 3 passes for first downs and also escaped a sure sack to gain 8 yards on the ground.

Against Alabama he didn't get a chance because the o-line got beat so easily for sacks.

Arkansas and Oklahoma are the only games you can say he didn't come through in the clutch.

If my QB had passed for 85 yds the whole game, I am not so sure I would have let him throw at all the last possession. JD didn't get it done against AL or FL and you cannot spin it any other way.

VN Store

Back