Josh Heupel listed as 4th best SEC coach in new article

I agree, I’ve no love for Bama or Saban, but the man has earned it. He is the GOAT in my opinion, and will continue to be until someone surpasses him. It will take some time for that to happen if it ever does. Don’t get me wrong, I wouldn’t trade Kirby Smart for anyone, but Saban has absolutely earned the title of the GOAT.
Saban has definitely earned the title as best recruiter in the country.

His first recruiting year was 2008. Nobody close to his ability to recruit. Just click on Alabama in the filter box.

https://public.tableau.com/app/prof...tballRecruitingClassRankingsbyYear/Dashboard1

I appreciate the links. I don't have the time or inclination to digest the nuances of defense.

In your learned opinion, do you find cover 7 by Smart and Saban, or the modifications they've made, to be groundbreaking?

I suppose it depends on what you consider groundbreaking. Groundbreaking in that no one had ever thought of using cover 7 or something similar to(or outright had)? I doubt it. Only so many ways you can line up the 11 guys on defense. You look at NFL defenses like the 85 Bears, their Bear Front wasn't new/something never seen before. You'll read that Buddy Ryan developed it, and while he may have been the first guy to use the 46 defense as a base, he wasn't the first person to ever run the 46 defense. Look at the Bucs from the late 90s/early 00s. They're famous for "inventing" the Tampa 2. But the reality is the Tampa 2 is just a slightly modified Cover 3 and the Bucs actually predominantly ran cover 3, not Tampa 2. If you don't watch the NFL much/at all, Monte Kiffin, Lane's dad who was our DC in Lane's season here, is the one alongside Tony Dungy that "created" the tampa 2.

Groundbreaking in that Saban found a way to make cover 7 his base, and continually modify it over like a 25 year period to consistently produce top 10 defenses? Sure. Same goes for him and Smart using that defensive front change.

But there hasn't been anything truly "new" in football in forever. It's just tweaking existing things and the like, and finding players to fit your scheme that matters.

It’s a fair list. Inter thought experiment though…give any of the three coaches above him the roster he inherited when he got here and his first recruiting class. How would the on field results look?
Saban’s first Alabama team lost at home to Louisiana Monroe.

Smart’s a smart pick.
Saban on his past laurels.
Kelly is misplaced. Heupel’s Tennessee team abused his Bayou Bengals in Baton Rouge.

GTFO! Heupel owned Kelly's azz last year and BK has not done one damn thing since then to convince me differently. LSU is so overhyped right now, and they are gonna get shredded, starting with FSU game. LSU's current OL, RBs, CBs? Gimme a break.

Kelly won the West in his first year. That’s impressive

It'd be hard to convince me that Saban came into a great (or even a good) situation.

Rumors are that boosters/power brokers rushed Stallings out the door after having the unacceptable back to back 3 loss seasons

Enter Franchione.....
one middling 7-5 season
followed by a 10-3 season in which they were not eligible for post season play
Fran bolts for another job

Enter Mike Price in 2003.....never coaches a game

enter Mike Shula in 2003----
3-8 in season 1
6-6 year 2
10-2 has one really good season
6-7 and is shown the door in 2007

my memory is fuzzy but along the way it seems like there were multiple NCAA investigations, Fulmer telling recruits Bama was getting the death penalty, post season bans and a bunch of vacated wins.

Feels kind of eerily similar to me

Yes, yes… I remember this period in Alabama football history. I had Alabama fans hating me for referring to it as their “Three MIKES and a Dennis” period. Turmoil and uncertainty, even with Saban coming in, after swearing he wasn’t going to Alabama, after being questions by NFL beat writers. He seemed like a mercenary after going from MSU to LSU to the NFL. They’ll have another cycle like this when Saban finally retires. You never want to be the one replacing the man. Ask Ray Perkins or Bill Curry.

One way to tell how good a coach is by looking at 1st possessions in each half and how their team does. Heupel's teams score alot in those situations. Not sure the percentage, but I bet it's high!

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
GTFO! Heupel owned Kelly's azz last year and BK has not done one damn thing since then to convince me differently. LSU is so overhyped right now, and they are gonna get shredded, starting with FSU game. LSU's current OL, RBs, CBs? Gimme a break.
You were correct! Kudos to you,

Reactions: Wezcoast
I really don't see an argument about this at the present time.
Kirby over Saban? Saban has three times the nattys and is getting unfairly punished for the last two years. Kirby walked into a well oiled machine and still struggled. He’s not number one in any rational analysis.

VN Store

Back