Julian Phillips already looks like an improved player…….

I would love to see JP have more of a focal point in the offense right now in order to develop his offensive confidence going toward year end. We need someone who can create their own shot and finish come tourney time. Close score or late shot clock bail outs demand someone who can just go playground and get a bucket. We are not built that way. But, JP gives us that best option. I would love to see him go beast mode like Carmelo Anthony for SU in the NCAAT and carry us to a Championship!

I would love to see JP have more of a focal point in the offense right now in order to develop his offensive confidence going toward year end. We need someone who can create their own shot and finish come tourney time. Close score or late shot clock bail outs demand someone who can just go playground and get a bucket. We are not built that way. But, JP gives us that best option. I would love to see him go beast mode like Carmelo Anthony for SU in the NCAAT and carry us to a Championship!
Phillips had struggled recently. Barnes’ plan for him was to focus on defense and do other things that can impact a game positively. It’s a way of focusing less on your offensive struggles, and slowly letting that offense come back more naturally. You didn’t see him go hellbent out of control at the basket last night. You saw him rebound and score by doing so within the framework of the game. Very positive results last night. Barnes knows basketball.

Problem is you can’t force the focus on someone that isn’t ready for it. He’s very skilled but he is physically weak compared to upperclassman. He gets in the pant and it’s an adventure from there. If we force him to be a focal point, it disrupts the offense. I’d rather see him continue to be a part of the offense. He’s getting better for sure. He just needs more time (and time in the weight room). If he comes back next year, watch out.

Problem is you can’t force the focus on someone that isn’t ready for it. He’s very skilled but he is physically weak compared to upperclassman. He gets in the pant and it’s an adventure from there. If we force him to be a focal point, it disrupts the offense. I’d rather see him continue to be a part of the offense. He’s getting better for sure. He just needs more time (and time in the weight room). If he comes back next year, watch out.
I'd personally just find him more ways to get those little mid range jumpers off. We used to get those kind of looks for Jordan bowden as well. That's where he is effective because he can rise over most people and has a soft touch on those jumpers. Then just continue to let him get those put backs on the offensive glass. We also had a nice play where he cut from the 3 point line and finished a nice drop off from Ziegler. More of that would be nice as well.

The kid can rebound , he‘s a ballhawk and can finish . He seems to be very coachable . Like the way he is letting game come to him per Coach RB. Big ceiling on this guy. When he puts on weight he will be kicking and taking
He hasn't figured out how to finish strong yet.

I think JJJ being back on the floor took some of the pressure off of him. He seemed more relaxed and was not forcing plays on offense. He had his best game in 2-3 weeks. His play will have a big impact on how far this team can go.

I'd personally just find him more ways to get those little mid range jumpers off. We used to get those kind of looks for Jordan bowden as well. That's where he is effective because he can rise over most people and has a soft touch on those jumpers. Then just continue to let him get those put backs on the offensive glass. We also had a nice play where he cut from the 3 point line and finished a nice drop off from Ziegler. More of that would be nice as well.
I’d rather have ON or JJJ taking that jumper most of the time though. Not that JP can’t hit them, just that the other 2 seem more comfortable in that spot

Reactions: walkenvol

VN Store

Back