Julian Phillips in the transfer portal

Anyone who has ever worked with an instructor to get his golf swing fixed knows how you go through a period where your swing gets worse, and your whole game falls apart. At some point you'll be convinced you're wasting your time and your money.

Phillips played like a great, young athlete with a head full of new-but-not-yet-absorbed knowledge in his head. In the process of trying to learn the new things the coaches were teaching, and stepping up in competition without the benefit of a corresponding step up in his physical body, it's predictable that a 5-star would get discouraged.

It's probably a place his head has never been before.

We've heard many stories of athletes who got discouraged and wanted to go home, but a strong parent kept him here and wouldn't let him walk away defeated.

But what happens if there are dissenting voices coming from family? I have no idea if any of this is the case here...

but all this is far more logical than assuming that Phillips is not a very good basketball player, or that Barnes destroys offensive skillsets, while being unable to coach certain positions. Every person and every situation is unique.
Your post does not fit our narrative.
😜

EvanMiya.com uses statistics to analyze and rate players and teams. Julien Phillips statistically, is pretty darn good. I have to admit that I was surprised to see how good he was defensively.

1683834797172.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Vols All Day
Where did I say that? The fact that he's looking to leave is the problem. He doesn't trust the staff to develop him to get to the next level, that's a problem.
It's only a problem if it's the staff and not the player that is limiting his potential. Barnes has a proven and indisputable track record of developing players at Tennessee (Williams, Admiral, and even Kevin Punter, who became a really good scorer after Barnes got hold of him). Huntley-Hatfield didn't tear it up at Louisville after leaving the Vols, averaging <7 pts/gm. So, it was probably the player, not the coaching. Phillips didn't look like a star in the SEC. Good player, just not a star. Maybe if he gets healthy and develops a better shot, he'll make the league.

Of course you say that. Traore was a 5 star, top 25 player, exactly 5 spots below Phillips on 247. Some of our fans would be roasting Barnes if Traore had a season like he did at Auburn and then transferred.
Look it up if you don’t believe me.

He’s the poster boy for 5 star with limited skill and insane athleticism that’s ranked based on his potential. JP actually looked skilled offensively in high school in addition to his athleticism.

Look it up if you don’t believe me.

He’s the poster boy for 5 star with limited skill and insane athleticism that’s ranked based on his potential. JP actually looked skilled offensively in high school in addition to his athleticism.

Sure…I get it. But it’s a typical response by some of you in here. If it was the other way around…

EvanMiya.com uses statistics to analyze and rate players and teams. Julien Phillips statistically, is pretty darn good. I have to admit that I was surprised to see how good he was defensively.

View attachment 550969

Not taking anything away from Phillips, for a freshman, he was a very good defender. But our team defense was so good, several of the starters have inflated numbers for that stat IMO.

Sure…I get it. But it’s a typical response by some of you in here. If it was the other way around…
JP was the first dude we’ve had since Tobias Harris that had the size/athleticism/skill to make a legit top 15 draft pick so yeah it’s disappointing how his time ended up here.

BHH was a bust and a lot of scouts/coaches/fans saw that coming. Not Barnes fault for that. I appreciate him at least taking a chance on potential talent like that even though it didn’t work out. Traore in the same boat, but for different reasons. Big step down from Auburn to UCSB. I wouldn’t be surprised if Bruce pushed for his commitment after the LSU fiasco in order to help get Phillips as well. He couldn’t even get on the court and sat behind Dylan Cardwell who never did much of anything there besides bring some energy.

Your post does not fit our narrative.
😜
LOL--so true! And of course that's why I posted it. We start repeating things around here and by the 4th page, one opinion or another is considered a fact. Then, if sometime later the actual facts come out, no one believes it.

And in this case, the "facts" are not about an event, or even a team, but a freshman student athlete. We wouldn't do this to a kid in our neighborhood, or our church, or our community high school if we knew him or his parents. Everyone complains about college sports becoming more like the pros... then we treat kids like seasoned professional adults.

So if anyone read my little post and decided not to jump to their conclusion-of-choice... mission accomplished.

Last edited:
Maybe he will develop into a really good player, but if a 5* rating means you are ready to play college ball from day one, he was overrated. He still needs a lot of development to be a tier 1 SEC player. He lacked confidence on the court and turned the ball over way too many times. I do only wish him the best wherever he ends up.

Obviously the NBA report he’s got is not that encouraging for this draft
Maybe but most likely he is making sure he has a back up plan. He just doesn't want to play at Tennessee. For whatever reason, but he has to improve his outside shooting and mid range game. He also is not very strong and doesn't handle the ball well.

Reactions: Volfan1000
Honestly don't know if Phillips will ever have a truly impressive college season, unless he goes somewhere with less competition in league play. The college game allows for defenders to be far more physical than the NBA does and the SEC showed he's less of a threat offensively if you defend him that way.

Best of luck, but even with his great size and length I never felt like he really played to that strength. Didn't block a ton of shots and often had smaller guys get around him. I think with some of the guys on roster this loss isn't going to be very impactful. We shall see, expectation was always that he'd be a 1 & done so I don't think the staff was shocked.

Reactions: cobbwebb0710
It wouldn’t surprise me if Barnes approved the transfer. Of course the AD could always step in and not approve, stating it will set a precedent for those entering the portal beyond the deadline.
If I was coach, I would approve it. He should be able to play where he wants to.

Reactions: walkenvol
3 different types of 5 stars: You have your rare ones like Anthony Davis

You have your JJJ types. Good when healthy, but played in a so-so division in high-school. Over ranked. Decent 4 year player. Will do more good than bad for your program

You have your Scotty Hopson types. Completely hyped up as the next coming of LeBron James, but just Complete busts.
Hops on a bust. LMAO

3 different types of 5 stars: You have your rare ones like Anthony Davis

You have your JJJ types. Good when healthy, but played in a so-so division in high-school. Over ranked. Decent 4 year player. Will do more good than bad for your program

You have your Scotty Hopson types. Completely hyped up as the next coming of LeBron James, but just Complete busts.

While Hopson did come with some hype, he averaged 17 points, 3.3 rebounds, and 37.6% from 3 his last year. Not a bust at all.

Reactions: walkenvol
Everybody wants to act like guys are bums for leaving UT, but these are talented basketball players. UT basketball is not infallible. Barnes isn't perfect when it comes to evaluation and development. Things don't always work out, and it isn't always because guys just suck at basketball. Just because a guy can't blossom in this system doesn't mean he isn't going to be a really good player.

All these keyboard warriors on here acting like they know more about basketball than the guy leaving the program need to take a Cheetos break.

VN Store

Back