Julian Phillips in the transfer portal

Barnes has put 30 guys into the NBA. At least half of them have been F/C. I think Barnes knows how to coach the position. Kevin Durant agrees.
Players need to be just as willing to adjust to a system as a coach is to adjusting to a player. And Barnes has made it work with many types of players.

Horrible example. I could have coached Durant and he would still be just fine. Otherwise good point.

Horrible example. I could have coached Durant and he would still be just fine. Otherwise good point.

Durant was the only freshman who was a consensus overall player of the year. Averaged 25.8 points, 11.1 rebounds, 1.3 assists, and 1.9 steals. So, I guess RB held him back in his offensive scheme? That’s kind of the point. Durant could have made a pro anywhere, but he was unbelievable even in his one year in college.

He stopped getting to the free throw line by the time conference play started.

Everybody was getting fewer FT attempts with SEC officiating. ZZ had 10 games after conference play began where he didn’t get to the FT line one time.

When JP had opportunities he made his free throws. “Literally”.

He stopped getting to the free throw line by the time conference play started.

Yep. He also rebounded and defended less efficiently in SEC play too.

Phillips had 118 FTAs on the season, just 41 of those were during conference play despite playing half of his games this season against SEC teams.

Phillips had 118 FTAs on the season, just 41 of those were during conference play despite playing half of his games this season against SEC teams.

Everybody got to the FT line less frequently in SEC play. That’s how SEC refs were calling games.

Phillips had more FT attempts and made more free throws than any other TN player and it wasn’t close. 118 attempts for JP and ON was second with 83. Phillips made 97 free throws. Key and ZZ tied for 2nd with 60.

You are mixing and matching. JP had 46 attempts versus SEC opponents. 16 of 32 games (“half of his games”).

Phillips in 16 games vs non SEC opponents: 23.8mpg, 8.5 ppg, 4.6 rpg, 1.5 apg, 0.6 spg, 0.7 bpg

Phillips in 16 games ("half of his games", since he played in 32 total games) against the SEC: 24.5 mpg, 8.1 ppg, 4.8 rpg, 1.4 apg, 0.6 spg, 0.4 bpg

So he wasn't exactly lighting it up. If you remove the NCAA Tournament games though he had far better out of conference numbers: 25.7 mpg, 10.1 ppg, 5.3 rpg, 1.7 apg, 0.6 spg, 0.8 bpg

So really against the softer schedule he looked pretty good, but in SEC play and in the NCAA tournament when facing better teams he faded.

41 FTAs was regular season, but you're correct that he had 46 FTAs against SEC opponents (when adding in the conference tournament).

Still means he shot 72 against non conference in the same amount of games though... and that's a big jump. Possibly just the difference in officiating cause the SEC...but I think the fact he became less aggressive is a big part of it. Cause he played more minutes against the SEC, but shot a total of 22 less shots despite shooting a higher % from the field at 49.4% against SEC vs 34.6% out of conference.

Phillips in 16 games vs non SEC opponents: 23.8mpg, 8.5 ppg, 4.6 rpg, 1.5 apg, 0.6 spg, 0.7 bpg

Phillips in 16 games ("half of his games", since he played in 32 total games) against the SEC: 24.5 mpg, 8.1 ppg, 4.8 rpg, 1.4 apg, 0.6 spg, 0.4 bpg

So he wasn't exactly lighting it up. If you remove the NCAA Tournament games though he had far better out of conference numbers: 25.7 mpg, 10.1 ppg, 5.3 rpg, 1.7 apg, 0.6 spg, 0.8 bpg

So really against the softer schedule he looked pretty good, but in SEC play and in the NCAA tournament when facing better teams he faded.

41 FTAs was regular season, but you're correct that he had 46 FTAs against SEC opponents (when adding in the conference tournament).

Still means he shot 72 against non conference in the same amount of games though... and that's a big jump. Possibly just the difference in officiating cause the SEC...but I think the fact he became less aggressive is a big part of it. Cause he played more minutes against the SEC, but shot a total of 22 less shots despite shooting a higher % from the field at 49.4% against SEC vs 34.6% out of conference.

Which players weren’t being fouled more frequently against out of conference games? He made 97 free throws. The next most for a TN player was 60. He contributed in a big way at the FT line. How many of the fouls did he draw that didn’t put a player at the FT line?

The drop off is absolutely due to SEC officiating. Had they called games tight, Phillips would have lived on the free throw line. But letting teams get away with rough defense worked in TN’s favor. When defenses knocked JP around, that allowed TN to do the same and that contributed to to the high level defense that produced 25 wins which had happened only 6 other times in history.

Julian was on the SEC all freshman team. It’s just plan ignorant to say he literally didn’t do anything other than play defense. TN would be lucky to have a freshman like him every year. Unfortunately, as a skinny 19 year old, he wasn’t another Kevin Durant.

Which players weren’t being fouled more frequently against out of conference games? He made 97 free throws. The next most for a TN player was 60. He contributed in a big way at the FT line. How many of the fouls did he draw that didn’t put a player at the FT line?

The drop off is absolutely due to SEC officiating. Had they called games tight, Phillips would have lived on the free throw line. But letting teams get away with rough defense worked in TN’s favor. When defenses knocked JP around, that allowed TN to do the same and that contributed to to the high level defense that produced 25 wins which had happened only 6 other times in history.

Julian was on the SEC all freshman team. It’s just plan ignorant to say he literally didn’t do anything other than play defense. TN would be lucky to have a freshman like him every year. Unfortunately, as a skinny 19 year old, he wasn’t another Kevin Durant.

Where did I say that? You're taking factual data (his stats) and painting your own narrative of what you think I'm implying. Julian's numbers declined in the last half of the season, I gave you that data. It's nothing new though. Elite HS talent comes out of the gate looking great and then as the season grind wears them down and they get into SEC play they come back to earth Julian isn't the first and won't be the last to have this happen to him.

I'll repeat, my only point is that statistically speaking Julian's production declined in the 2nd half of the season. Could be he wore down, injuries started bothering him more, or it could be because competition improved. But it still happened.

Where did I say that? You're taking factual data (his stats) and painting your own narrative of what you think I'm implying. Julian's numbers declined in the last half of the season, I gave you that data. It's nothing new though. Elite HS talent comes out of the gate looking great and then as the season grind wears them down and they get into SEC play they come back to earth Julian isn't the first and won't be the last to have this happen to him.

I'll repeat, my only point is that statistically speaking Julian's production declined in the 2nd half of the season. Could be he wore down, injuries started bothering him more, or it could be because competition improved. But it still happened.

I said that the comment about Phillips that he “literally” didn't do anything other than play good defense (post #198) was wrong and cited that he got to the free throw line MORE than anybody (by far) and MADE more free throws than anybody (by far). Then you jumped into the middle with some nonsense about when the fouls were called (actually the FT “attempts” - you didn’t bring any stats about when ALL fouls were being called). All that you’ve brought is that SEC refs called fewer fouls. Duh. They obviously allowed defenses to play rough. Barnes took advantage of that and cranked up the defense. TN won 25 games because they played great defense.

Phillips made his free throws. SEC refs called fewer fouls. There’s a couple of facts for you to focus on.

I said that the comment about Phillips that he “literally” didn't do anything other than play good defense (post #198) was wrong and cited that he got to the free throw line MORE than anybody (by far) and MADE more free throws than anybody (by far). Then you jumped into the middle with some nonsense about when the fouls were called (actually the FT “attempts” - you didn’t bring any stats about when ALL fouls were being called). All that you’ve brought is that SEC refs called fewer fouls. Duh. They obviously allowed defenses to play rough. Barnes took advantage of that and cranked up the defense. TN won 25 games because they played great defense.

Phillips made his free throws. SEC refs called fewer fouls. There’s a couple of facts for you to focus on.

We had 52.6% of our fouls called against us in SEC play...so that really doesn't support your assertion that the SEC refs called fewer fouls since they actually called 32 more fouls on us than outside league play. Duh.

You keep mentioning that Julian lead the team in FTs as if someone is disputing that. I'm responding to the replies you're making to my post.

I don't know how to slow it down any more for you... my point was that Julian's production dipped in the 2nd half of the season, I guess since that's indisputable you just want to arm wave and argue different topics here or something?

We had 52.6% of our fouls called against us in SEC play...so that really doesn't support your assertion that the SEC refs called fewer fouls since they actually called 32 more fouls on us than outside league play. Duh.

You keep mentioning that Julian lead the team in FTs as if someone is disputing that. I'm responding to the replies you're making to my post.

I don't know how to slow it down any more for you... my point was that Julian's production dipped in the 2nd half of the season, I guess since that's indisputable you just want to arm wave and argue different topics here or something?

You changed the topic. My point has been that Phillips “literally” didn’t only play good defense. He “literally” lead the team at the FT line.

You changed the topic. My point has been that Phillips “literally” didn’t only play good defense. He “literally” lead the team at the FT line.

I never changed the topic, I made a reply to someone saying he shot/hit less FTs in league play with the number (which confirmed what he was saying).

That's fine I get your point, again I'm not the poster that was claiming that so you replying to me to make that point makes no sense.

Leading the team in FTs doesn't change the fact his numbers dropped in league play (and I am not debating the "why" they dropped, just stating that they DID drop)

I never changed the topic, I made a reply to someone saying he shot/hit less FTs in league play with the number (which confirmed what he was saying).

That's fine I get your point, again I'm not the poster that was claiming that so you replying to me to make that point makes no sense.

Leading the team in FTs doesn't change the fact his numbers dropped in league play (and I am not debating the "why" they dropped, just stating that they DID drop)

You are guilty by association with PackersVols. He brought the nonsensical argument of when fouls were called to defend his statement that Phillips “could play defense. That is literally it”.

VN Store

Back