Keller Chryst Shines...

According to Swain this morning, the headline to Brice’s article is misleading . While Chryst did indeed have his best showing of fall camp on Sunday, he did not play better than JG. Both were solid and efficient, which is a change to date for Chryst.

Also said that JG has been and continues to be in the driver’s seat barring some really poor performances in the next couple weeks. Said that Chryst was brought in because the coaches were very concerned about McBride being the backup, not about JG being the starter. JG doesn’t have it locked up, but Chryst’s good performance in the scrimmage did not somehow catapult him past JG, only helped cement and strengthen our backup QB position. Tifwiw.

Sounds about right, I think all of VN can agree that the Vols will probably need both QB's this season, don't you think?
Go Vols

price on swain talking about qb competiton.....he believes JG is still the front runner, and that hopefully that holds true given the upside for the future of the program with JG having the eligibility he has.

also said though, it really shouldn't matter all that much as far as "wants" go, we should "want" the guy that gives us the best chance to win in the end, regardless.

Reactions: HalfullVol
I'm a fan of whoever gives us the best chance to win. But looking in to the future, we better hope its JG, because if Chryst starts, JG will almost certainly transfer, leaving no one serviceable behind Chryst. Unless our current QB commit is ready to step in right away, and we dont really need that, we're not set up well for next year either. JG needs to take the job, run with it, and be the QB for the next 2-3 years. All JMO, IMO, TIFWIW.

IMO Chryst was brought in to be a solid back up option to JG. Good planning by the staff.
And you Sir; would be wrong. Chryst didn't come to Tenn to be a Backup. Hell he coulda done that at Alabama with that logjam.

And you Sir; would be wrong. Chryst didn't come to Tenn to be a Backup. Hell he coulda done that at Alabama with that logjam.
He may have had every intention of coming here to win the job. I hope he did. But as I stated, I hope he doesnt win it, and I also dont think he will either. But we shall see. Once again, winning is most important for me, dont care who it is. But thinking logically, it would do us best for JG to take the job and run with it for the next couple of years.

He may have had every intention of coming here to win the job. I hope he did. But as I stated, I hope he doesnt win it, and I also dont think he will either. But we shall see. Once again, winning is most important for me, dont care who it is. But thinking logically, it would do us best for JG to take the job and run with it for the next couple of years.
I'm not sure you can say that. What if Chryst isn't that good at all and JG really doesn't develop much more in the mental part of the game? Having an established starter on a team that hasn't experienced a ton of success wouldn't help land an elite QB. If Chryst starts... then the top QB's they're recruiting can honestly be told they can win the job.

There's a lot of ways it could work out well or poorly under either scenario.

I'm not sure you can say that. What if Chryst isn't that good at all and JG really doesn't develop much more in the mental part of the game? Having an established starter on a team that hasn't experienced a ton of success wouldn't help land an elite QB. If Chryst starts... then the top QB's they're recruiting can honestly be told they can win the job.

There's a lot of ways it could work out well or poorly under either scenario.
All I am giving you is my opinion and hope. I hope JG turns out like every other QB that got away from trumpet blower Jones and tears it up immediately after getting some real coaching. He plays a couple of years and insert Harrison Bailey or another top QB. What we dont need is for Chryst to win the job, JG transfer, Chryst go down with injury and we're screwed for any kind of a chance at a decent year this year. Then you're likely relying on a true freshman next year, in a year when we really need to be trending up. Just dont like that scenario.

All I am giving you is my opinion and hope. I hope JG turns out like every other QB that got away from trumpet blower Jones and tears it up immediately after getting some real coaching. He plays a couple of years and insert Harrison Bailey or another top QB. What we dont need is for Chryst to win the job, JG transfer, Chryst go down with injury and we're screwed for any kind of a chance at a decent year this year. Then you're likely relying on a true freshman next year, in a year when we really need to be trending up. Just dont like that scenario.
I'm not arguing with you or suggesting that your scenario isn't reasonable... just that it may not work as you suggest while it could work out great if Chryst becomes the starter and UT is able to land a top shelf recruit who is better than JG from the get-go. There are a lot more factors involved than what we can account for looking into the future. For instance if Chryst won the job and played great with UT winning more games than expected including some big ones... while some of the young talent on the team shows out... then UT suddenly becomes a preferred destination for one of the top QB recruits.

I don't know Chryst very well. I am skeptical of JG because of what I know from last year. He is a GREAT physical talent. But he was behind the curve as a RS Fr in ability to read D's and manage the offense. His decision making wasn't great either evidenced by the number of sacks he took. People point to stats and especially his completion %. But a throw away is a better decision than taking a sack. Only 8 or 9 completions separated him from Dormady in completion %. There were at least 5 or 6 times he took sacks that could have been avoided.

I HOPE he has matured and become better at the mental part of the game. But I am also realistic enough to know that like the ability to throw a 50 yard strike... the mental part of the game involves both talent and development. There ARE guys who are never really able to deal with the mental part just like there are guys who never develop the necessary accuracy.

Again... I'm not wishing or predicting this at all... Just stating a realistic possibility.

Reactions: jakez4ut
I'm not arguing with you or suggesting that your scenario isn't reasonable... just that it may not work as you suggest while it could work out great if Chryst becomes the starter and UT is able to land a top shelf recruit who is better than JG from the get-go. There are a lot more factors involved than what we can account for looking into the future. For instance if Chryst won the job and played great with UT winning more games than expected including some big ones... while some of the young talent on the team shows out... then UT suddenly becomes a preferred destination for one of the top QB recruits.

I don't know Chryst very well. I am skeptical of JG because of what I know from last year. He is a GREAT physical talent. But he was behind the curve as a RS Fr in ability to read D's and manage the offense. His decision making wasn't great either evidenced by the number of sacks he took. People point to stats and especially his completion %. But a throw away is a better decision than taking a sack. Only 8 or 9 completions separated him from Dormady in completion %. There were at least 5 or 6 times he took sacks that could have been avoided.

I HOPE he has matured and become better at the mental part of the game. But I am also realistic enough to know that like the ability to throw a 50 yard strike... the mental part of the game involves both talent and development. There ARE guys who are never really able to deal with the mental part just like there are guys who never develop the necessary accuracy.

Again... I'm not wishing or predicting this at all... Just stating a realistic possibility.
another thing to consider here...if KC is the guy and does what you suggest, then that should bode well for the coaching ability of this staff. so throw in some positive momentum from a season that didn't get lost, AND what would appear to be a more than competent coaching staff, AND the QB depth chart, it does set up nicely for blue chip QB's, and other offensive skill players, to take notice and potentially want to get in on that.

there's literally a million different ways it could go from here. i choose any/all that work out the best for UT.

Reactions: sjt18
No, there are hoards of us, silently trying not to read or comment on the eleventeen articles and threads, and thread-hacking posts about it.
"Silently trying not to read or comment on...."

Seriously Clark? Is it that hard to stay away from these threads?

Reactions: sjt18
"Silently trying not to read or comment on...."

Seriously Clark? Is it that hard to stay away from these threads?

Yes, because a different article/opinion thread is posted every 3 days, and it's all over every other thread too, so yes.

Doesn’t benefit JG to transfer THIS season. If he waits until next Spring, he’s reportedly well set up to qualify as a Grad Transfer.

Its early, and obviously its always nice to add premier qbs every year but i think Shrout will be a big factor in next years battle. Dont remember hearing this much chatter about a freshman this esrly in awhile. People have even said he may have the best arm on campus and thats high praise given the rocket Guarantano has. Wouldnt count him out yet.

According to Swain this morning, the headline to Brice’s article is misleading . While Chryst did indeed have his best showing of fall camp on Sunday, he did not play better than JG. Both were solid and efficient, which is a change to date for Chryst.

Also said that JG has been and continues to be in the driver’s seat barring some really poor performances in the next couple weeks. Said that Chryst was brought in because the coaches were very concerned about McBride being the backup, not about JG being the starter. JG doesn’t have it locked up, but Chryst’s good performance in the scrimmage did not somehow catapult him past JG, only helped cement and strengthen our backup QB position. Tifwiw.

Swain hit the bullseye. I hope Vol Colonel was listening.

Meh. Situationally it's the right context. And Crompton did get a lot better with the new coaching.

We'll see if the comparison holds up as we get into the season.
Even kiffin was right on the verge of giving up on Crompton

Not doubting you. But did Swain say why he believed that or what he based it on? Has he been allowed to see more? Does he act like he has information from inside the program?

Years ago when Shuler and Colquitt were competing for the QB job, Heath's dad told some of us that Heath "would be" the starter. The tone suggested that it was already done even though publicly there was still a competition and no starter determined.

Swain could be right. It could be a done deal. He played for Fulmer so he may have "access" that few have. I'm just curious if he supported that opinion or just left it hanging out there.

Its early, and obviously its always nice to add premier qbs every year but i think Shrout will be a big factor in next years battle. Dont remember hearing this much chatter about a freshman this esrly in awhile. People have even said he may have the best arm on campus and thats high praise given the rocket Guarantano has. Wouldnt count him out yet.

Agree. And the beneficial part is he can play in 4 games to get some valuable experience...

If Chryst wins the job...and that’s a big if, imo....I think you may see Shrout ascend the depth chart rather quickly...

Reactions: Ertel

VN Store

Back