Kellie and BOTO Club

One thing we may not always think of in regard to Kellie sometimes getting uncomfortable with so many people, so often, comparing her to Pat and saying she "looks just like Pat," or "sounds just like Pat," or "Kellie kearned EVERYthing from Pat!" and so on. People forget Kellie has an actual mother, and she may be somewhat sensitive to what her mother might feel about the world totally overlooking the obvious fact that Mom (and dad), too, may have had just a little something to do with how Kellie has turned out.

I mean, think about it. You've got this amazing young coach with a wonderful personality and is smart, well-spoken, and well-liked. She has a way of communicating that exudes genuine kindness. Loves her family. Loves her players.

And people try to give all the credit for all that wonderfulness to Pat.

Obviously Pat was a tremendously powerful role model, and Kellie has said that. But I can definitely understand how Kellie could feel some awkwardness sometimes about how overboard some people are going with the comparisons.

Kay Yow. Hatchell was at UNC and was legendary only for handing down WBB's tackiest wardrobe to Lil Kim M.

Actually, Cheatham is western middle TN while White is the beginning of the Cumberland Plateau and east Tennessee. Flat, agricultural "southern redneck" vs the beginning of Appalachia. Having lived near both, they're very different. Even the accent is slightly different but probably only discernable to us TN lifers.

Guess I'm just a grouch but I'm getting tired of the endless Pat comparisons. It's obvious and by now getting a little lazy. 20 yrs later, KJH so deserves her own identity. I hope we're working toward that end, IMO the program needs it.

Basically right, but Pat mostly grew up in Clarksville. The story told was Pat's family moved from Clarksville to Cheatham County when in high school so that Pat could play basketball. Cheatham County had a girls team. I was at UT Martin for 2 years when Pat was there. Small campus with only 4,200 students. I was around her a couple of times. I do not remember her voice as being much different from most from that area.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Anything beyond Cookeville on I-40 is East TN to me. Also it's the start of the Cumberland Plateau which is also east to me.

Reactions: SDV
One thing we may not always think of in regard to Kellie sometimes getting uncomfortable with so many people, so often, comparing her to Pat and saying she "looks just like Pat," or "sounds just like Pat," or "Kellie kearned EVERYthing from Pat!" and so on. People forget Kellie has an actual mother, and she may be somewhat sensitive to what her mother might feel about the world totally overlooking the obvious fact that Mom (and dad), too, may have had just a little something to do with how Kellie has turned out.

At the BOT Kellie told a story.

It was Pat Week and her little girl was watching television, now, Kellie said, you have to remember she’s only three. Pat’s picture popped up on the screen and Kiley yelled, ”There’s your mommy on the TV!” Kellie said, “No. Your Nanny is my mommy. That’s my coach.”

I think the whole family understands how important Pat was and is to Kellie and they don’t mind it. They just stay balanced and love one another, and Pat.

I mean, think about it. You've got this amazing young coach with a wonderful personality and is smart, well-spoken, and well-liked. She has a way of communicating that exudes genuine kindness. Loves her family. Loves her players.

And people try to give all the credit for all that wonderfulness to Pat.

Obviously Pat was a tremendously powerful role model, and Kellie has said that. But I can definitely understand how Kellie could feel some awkwardness sometimes about how overboard some people are going with the comparisons.

Kobe's dad was an NBA and Euro pro player and Kobe made no secret of that fact that he modeled his game and on-court persona after Michael Jordan. I don't think his dad was upset. Saying that someone is carrying on a tradition or legacy that has been handed down to them does not imply that they are not their own person. Kellie can't really draw from her experiences of being a national champ without invoking the Summit legacy. They are historically intertwined. Over time and with continued success, Kellie will make this program "her own" but in this transitional period, the connections to Pat are inevitable and useful. As Smallvol notes, Kellie is very comfortable with this connection and its importance to her.

VN Store

Back