Kellie Harper discussion/debate thread [merged]

I am now on the fire Harper bandwagon but I don't think it is fair to insult her. She has done a lot for Vol Nation and the program historically. Her stint may not be working out but we still need to respect her accomplishments.
I think by using the term 'inbred' arky meant from the Pat coaching tree. Kellie will always be a LVFL!

"Mediocrity" doesn't win conference championships at different stops and take a mid-major team consisting almost entirely of underclassmen to the Sweet Sixteen.

You need to define your version of "mediocre."
Based on the gaps between those accomplishments in the SoCon and MVC and nothing to show now is the very definition of mediocre. She could be labeled less than mediocre with your that one time underclassman S16 appearance.

Unfortunately Coach Harper has to be replaced. The LV will end up with the worst season in decades. Out of the HoopsGurlz list of the top 100 women basketball players, Harper has only been able to recruit one in the past 3 years....that player came to Tennessee, played only 3 or 4 minutes per game and after 2 years left the program. At the moment Kara Lawson now has coaching experience and would be a good possible replacement and have Timika Catchings as an assistant as well. Something must be done to restore our LV program.

My question is this. Can this coaching staff get the team going in the right direction? Do they want to put in the effort to teach these players how to play the game? I'm not saying the LVs don't have the talent, they just don't have a "team" attitude towards the game. Now, this is the attitude that maybe the coaches have towards their job:
We will win the next game, it's only a matter of time. We don't want high school recruits, it's too much work. First, we have to convince them to come here. Then, we have to evaluate their weaknesses and strengths, then we have to teach them, we have to get them to play together and build chemistry, then we have to get them stronger in the weight room, then we have to get them on the same page as far as learning the LV system. Wow, that's a lot of work, and the worst part is we will have them for 4 years. Constantly working with them, getting them better, teaching them the game.
Well, we don't have to do that. Next year we can pick 2, or maybe 3 players out of the portal. Yeah, that's a lot easier. We don't have to teach them the game, because some other coach already did that for us. We don't know if they can play together, but what the hell, let's just throw them out there and see what happens. Maybe it will work out, but come next year, you have to start all over again, because in most cases, they will only be here for one year, 2 at the most. That to me is laziness.
Incompetency, well that is in the eye of the beholder. I think the fans can figure that out, but if that is the case, a change should be made based on that.
So what do you think? Laziness, incompetency, or both?
I really enjoy seeing how Geno is having his azz handed to him this season. Oh how the mighty have fallen.

GO VOLS!!!!

My question is this. Can this coaching staff get the team going in the right direction? Do they want to put in the effort to teach these players how to play the game? I'm not saying the LVs don't have the talent, they just don't have a "team" attitude towards the game. Now, this is the attitude that maybe the coaches have towards their job:
We will win the next game, it's only a matter of time. We don't want high school recruits, it's too much work. First, we have to convince them to come here. Then, we have to evaluate their weaknesses and strengths, then we have to teach them, we have to get them to play together and build chemistry, then we have to get them stronger in the weight room, then we have to get them on the same page as far as learning the LV system. Wow, that's a lot of work, and the worst part is we will have them for 4 years. Constantly working with them, getting them better, teaching them the game.
Well, we don't have to do that. Next year we can pick 2, or maybe 3 players out of the portal. Yeah, that's a lot easier. We don't have to teach them the game, because some other coach already did that for us. We don't know if they can play together, but what the hell, let's just throw them out there and see what happens. Maybe it will work out, but come next year, you have to start all over again, because in most cases, they will only be here for one year, 2 at the most. That to me is laziness.
Incompetency, well that is in the eye of the beholder. I think the fans can figure that out, but if that is the case, a change should be made based on that.
So what do you think? Laziness, incompetency, or both?
The evidence of the effort to get high school recruits is clearly there unless you aren't paying attention to the recruiting threads, it's just not working for the most part.

I somewhat agree with your premise about high school vs. transfer portal recruiting, but transfers can be here up for up to 3 years, not always just 1-2 years. Hollingshead, Strickland, and Cooper, for example, will all have had 3 years at Tennessee if they stay the course, since they transferred after their freshman seasons. I feel like those kinds of transfers are the sweet spot because they're here for more than just a year or two so can still help build chemistry and team culture over time.

As much as I value her time as a player and the passion/love I’m sure she has for this program, she’s got to go. Historically the football program is 8-9, occasional 10, win seasons. The LVs, on the other hand, are historically a Final Four/Championship winning program. Our expectations should be much higher than this because our history warrants those expectations. She needs to be told “Fix this or you‘re gone.”

Sad situation all around. You hate it for CKH because she's a program legend and a nice person. Hate to see anyone fail, but this is a business, not a community league. Time to raise some $ and start having those private conversations with potential replacements. Folks, this ain't getting any better...

A tough decision, yes, but not his first tough decision. Hiring the right football coach was his first tough decision. Relying on former VOL graduates to save the LV program is another crazy consideration. If they're the BEST choice, great. But go after the BEST coach period no matter where they're from/graduate. Everyone wants the LV program to succeed but a change is needed & let's hope it's imminent.

I continue to be amazed at "lack of effort" posts. Do you really, truly think Kellie sees this ship sinking at her alma mater with her career on board and doesn't care enough to put forth effort? You think they want to epic fail, out loud, in public?

Please explain to me what would motivate a player or coach to intentionally look this bad on tv? That would be laziness on a scale I can't even imagine.

Failure by said coach to make in-game adjustments is “lack of effort.” Failure by said coach to learn from previous games, whether a win or loss, and use that knowledge to help improve play/players…”lack of effort.”

Reactions: Deebowbear
We need to offer to a successful and proven coach.

Love Kara Lawson and actually was in college at same time as her and met her but she needs more experience. Hire someone that has been making Final Four runs. Go for Tara Vanderveer at Stanford, Jeff Mettie at Kansas State, Kenny Brooks at Virginia Tech, . They will be taking a price cut with all the conference realignment mess. I would go after high profile coach in ACC or Big12 because they likely can't match SEC money now.

There are probably other coaches out there as well. Take advantage of this conference realignment mess and look at some of these schools that can't pay up as much.

LSU hired Kim Mulkey away from Baylor and won a National Title already. We need to be doing the same.

If this slide continues, look for a number of portal transfers out at the end of the season. Some need to do that but the issue is getting players to transfer in and recruits signed if the program looks like a sinking ship with no chance of saving it.

If this is the case, IMO a coaching change is the only way to start over.

Unfortunately Coach Harper has to be replaced. The LV will end up with the worst season in decades. Out of the HoopsGurlz list of the top 100 women basketball players, Harper has only been able to recruit one in the past 3 years....that player came to Tennessee, played only 3 or 4 minutes per game and after 2 years left the program. At the moment Kara Lawson now has coaching experience and would be a good possible replacement and have Timika Catchings as an assistant as well. Something must be done to restore our LV program.

If you're referring to Pissott, she only stayed one year, not two. And portal recruiting counts as "recruiting." Just ask Mulkey with Reese, Van Lith, Morrow, and others.

High school recruiting has been abysmal. The lack of freshman and sophomores (except for a walk-on and a transfer paased over initially) are a huge problem going forward.

Coaches...including some "big name" coaches...are also discovering that retaining top talent can be an issue that derails plans.

If this slide continues, look for a number of portal transfers out at the end of the season. Some need to do that but the issue is getting players to transfer in and recruits signed if the program looks like a sinking ship with no chance of saving it.

If this is the case, IMO a coaching change is the only way to start over.
I was thinking the same thing about transfers..Sara and Strip go to Alabama. The only sure players coming back are the Darby girls and Ace

VN Store

Back