Kellie Harper discussion/debate thread [merged]

Players need to be willing to take hard coaching and criticism of their on court performance. Cursing and ranting at them accomplishes nothing. There is always a way to talk to any person without resorting to that sort of attack.

Can someone that knows elaborate on this post?
Answering a post that said we lost Dean Lockwood, a very good post coach, so that we could bring in Nepo Hubby Jon. My post was pointing out that Joy also coaches posts so maybe it was her hiring that meant Lockwood had to go.

Sounds silly, just part of the Jon debate, who is somehow seen as the root of all current evil.

Top 25 rankings have proven they aren't a "shell" of their former self..The rest of WCBB has caught up would explain a lot, as has relaxed transfer rules and tons more money put into programs to become FF or NC teams..But I guess those raindrops I saw outside a while ago are the first pieces of the sky falling...When they miss the NCAA tourney a couple of years or get eliminated in the first or second round a few times, then state the case of them being a "shell of their former self" or no longer being a "premier" team....
Unless that occurs?? Still not buying the apocalyptic descriptions of a solid SEC and nationally relevant WBB program.....

You are a good and loyal fan, clearly, and it's also clear that you haven't been paying close attention to this program for the last 15+ years.

Answering a post that said we lost Dean Lockwood, a very good post coach, so that we could bring in Nepo Hubby Jon. My post was pointing out that Joy also coaches posts so maybe it was her hiring that meant Lockwood had to go.

Sounds silly, just part of the Jon debate, who is somehow seen as the root of all current evil.
Jon was the sole coach in year one, correct. Bringing in a duplicate Coach seems for the same position excessive if one is doing less.

Last edited:
Reactions: knoxvol52
Obviously ChatGPT has been hitting the pipe, or doesn't actually do research. UConn sits at 5-3 so far this year and were preseason #2...
FYI re: Uconn record. Losses have been against top 10 teams. Geno is dealing with injuries to three upper classmen, a 6'5' freshman, and Paige getting half the minutes she played as a freshman. She is recovering at a regulated pace from last year's ACL tear. Geno at times this year had 4 freshmen playing at the same time. Except for Jana and Azzi, Geno is hoping to be healthy and competitive in March.

Reactions: brittannica
Male athletes have to take it from certain coaches. You saying females are too fragile?
I think a male coach approaching a female athlete in such a physically intimidating manner looks too close to abuse. I’m not saying at all the coach is going to abuse the player I just don’t think a male coach should ever subject a young woman to that. We don’t ever want young women to think that screaming physical intimidation from a male is okay.
I understand I am holding a male coach to a different standard but I think a male coach should get this.
As far as being too fragile, no. I think female athletes are just as tough emotionally as male athletes and at college age more mature than male athletes.

Because this isn’t a spousal relationship it’s a boss-employee/coach-player relationship. The best leader I’ve ever worked for would call me into his office, dress me down and dog cuss me for making what he perceived as bad business decisions. But he was right there on the good decisions too supporting me. Never once thought about quitting on him, hating him, feeling embarrassed etc. it’s part of freaking life.
Different scenario male vs female physical intimidation.

Reactions: brittannica
I think a male coach approaching a female athlete in such a physically intimidating manner looks too close to abuse. I’m not saying at all the coach is going to abuse the player I just don’t think a male coach should ever subject a young woman to that. We don’t ever want young women to think that screaming physical intimidation from a male is okay.
I understand I am holding a male coach to a different standard but I think a male coach should get this.
As far as being too fragile, no. I think female athletes are just as tough emotionally as male athletes and at college age more mature than male athletes.
So optics>coaching? “Cain’t look like you’re being mean to em…they’s just girls!” I despise Auriemma, but that wins…and not in a cheap fashion. Leave the kid gloves in kindergarten.

Top 25 rankings have proven they aren't a "shell" of their former self..The rest of WCBB has caught up would explain a lot, as has relaxed transfer rules and tons more money put into programs to become FF or NC teams..But I guess those raindrops I saw outside a while ago are the first pieces of the sky falling...When they miss the NCAA tourney a couple of years or get eliminated in the first or second round a few times, then state the case of them being a "shell of their former self" or no longer being a "premier" team....
Unless that occurs?? Still not buying the apocalyptic descriptions of a solid SEC and nationally relevant WBB program.....

You’re delusional

Offer the next coach $20 million over four years. Hold $16 million in escrow. The coach can collect the balance if they win a national championship within that time frame. Otherwise, the balance will be applied toward the next coaching search, which will begin immediately.

Sounds fair to everyone and should attract a slew of confident candidates with chutzpah.
I love The idea but not so simple. I would build a lot more structuring to include more incentives and penalties

Last edited:
if you were limited to the current Top 25 coaches. I took off those who would obviously not come (Tara, Geno, Dawn) and anyone over the age of 55. Sorry if I’m being ageist but I just think we would need a new younger start

Here we go:
Cori Close
Lindsay Gottlieb
JR Payne
Nicki Collen
Lynne Roberts
Kevin McGuff
Kenny Brooks
Teri Moren
Jeff Walz
Megan Duffy
Brooke Wyckoff
Lisa Fortier
Courtney Banghart
Carolyn Kieger

Take Banghart off this list. We could have chased her, should have, but didn't and she's now at UNC and not going to leave there.

Kenny Brooks is someone I'm interested in and may be a realistic possibility if/when a change occurs. I'm a little thrown by the private group chat stuff last season, but that may just have been sour grapes on the part of Ashley O's family.

Ya'll Jeff Walz will not be coaching here, period. Way too much bad blood from both sides under the bridge. Plus he's clearly fading as a coach. We can move on from that.
Great post.

I completely agree with you about JW and hope most posters around here listen.

Brooks, if things go further south in the next few years, is someone TN should be serious about interviewing. However, I was also very bothered by the group chat thing. If true, would be a big knock against him. However, he’s clearly a good coach, been to a FF, and is on an upward trajectory. I also think he would throw a lot of respect towards Pat and be someone who could move the program forward while not losing the essence of being a LV if you will.

Do I think men are better coaches than women --- big NO. Do I think Pat was the best coach man or woman ever----absolutely.

Having said that, I think any woman we hire will always be compared to Pat. It may be time to have a man coach to step out of her shadow.
I know I am going to get killed for this, but I said what I said.

Reactions: T_Vol376 and Chippo

VN Store

Back