Kennedy Announces Plan To Retire July 31

The 217 vote difference is mostly summed by the fact that since Ford, the Democrats have had many more members of the Senate voting for Supreme Court nominations and... is also reflective of 3 contentious nominations including two who were confirmed anyway: Bork, Thomas (though confirmed he still had 46 "Nays") and Gorsuch (due to the political climate stemming from Garland's treatment).

They have had two more and if you back that math out it’s 200 to 80. Next dumb point?

The fact is the senate isn’t supposed to be voting in agreement. Their charge is to insure they have been vetted.

The 217 vote difference is mostly summed by the fact that since Ford, the Democrats have had many more members of the Senate voting for Supreme Court nominations and... is also reflective of 3 contentious nominations including two who were confirmed anyway: Bork, Thomas (though confirmed he still had 46 "Nays") and Gorsuch (due to the political climate stemming from Garland's treatment).

But both of W's nominees were fine and like for like replacements yet less than 1/2 of Dems supported them. Notably Obama voted against them both.

There was no good reason for these not to be near unanimous votes.

Reactions: 1 person
They have had two more and if you back that math out it’s 200 to 80. Next dumb point?

The fact is the senate isn’t supposed to be voting in agreement. Their charge is to insure they have been vetted.

the vetting takes place in committee - once they come out to a full vote then the bias should be towards consent (at least it used to be).

72 of the 114 justices ever were either unanimously selected or voted in by a oral Yes vote. Please tell us again B.B. how great the Dems have been.

Since Gerald Ford the number of no votes per nomination:

Republican no votes: 80
Democrat no votes: 297

So shove your 11 yes where they belong

I’m gonna guess BB should set the bar very low for our “we’re super sorry” deal he’s asking for.

I’m willing to buy ONE donut for a butt hurt Dim senator. Hey I’m a giver.

$$

Lol whoops hill. Quoted wrong quote. That was for BB’s dumbass comments about the huge amount of nay Dim votes. Sorry

Attachments

• 0242CCE1-D84E-4D44-8726-B4CFD51A5223.jpeg
    0242CCE1-D84E-4D44-8726-B4CFD51A5223.jpeg
    65.4 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
So I wonder if ole Mitch is going to actually hold them through August?

I would think he would almost have to make this happen before the midterms if they really want to get this nomination through..

You are not showing a strong command of the facts.

Bork received 53 no votes from Democrats
Thomas received 46 no votes from Democrats
Gorsuch received 43 no votes from Democrats

Taken away from your total of 297 (which I did not verify) and you have 155 (297-142). You also have to take into account that more Democrats have been in the Senate during confirmation votes than have Republicans.

Taken away from your total of 297 (which I did not verify) and you have 155 (297-142). You also have to take into account that more Democrats have been in the Senate during confirmation votes than have Republicans.

This nomination, focus.

Who cares about what you're saying right now?

You’re making a dumbass straw man argument. You want to parse the Nays. That’s irrelevant and that’s what we’ve been telling you. The committee does the vetting and makes a recommendation. Until you asshats got carried away starting mostly with Thomas the vote was largely procedural. The vetting had been done.

You’re making a dumbass straw man argument. You want to parse the Nays. That’s irrelevant and that’s what we’ve been telling you. The committee does the vetting and makes a recommendation. Until you asshats got carried away starting mostly with Thomas the vote was largely procedural. The vetting had been done.

After Bork's vetting, it was clear to all that he could not be confirmed. Reagan even gave up trying to lobby for him. Bork insisted on going through with the vote anyway instead of withdrawing like he should have.

After Bork's vetting, it was clear to all that he could not be confirmed. Reagan even gave up trying to lobby for him. Bork insisted on going through with the vote anyway instead of withdrawing like he should have.

Still making the same strawman and it still isn’t flying. Your party started the BS debating after the vetting had been conducted.

Still making the same strawman and it still isn’t flying. Your party started the BS debating after the vetting had been conducted.

Bork was already infamous and hated by democrats going back to the Saturday Night Massacre when he came across as being a puppet for Nixon. He aided Nixon in an abuse of power. He never had a chance.

So 157-80? A neat 2-1 margin. Keep preaching about your 11 yes votes. I didn’t take the time to check your math vs mine. But hey what a 2-1 vote against margin.

And for the record Garland should have been seated

Last edited:
I've always been of the mind that the POTUS gets to pick his/her(potentially) person. So long as the person is qualified then consent should be granted.

Much as I prefer the outcome of Gorsuch over Garland in principle I believe Obama had the power to appoint and the Senate should have confirmed Garland.

On the last point - my caveat is I believe POTI should replace like for like.

Obama lost some moral authority by voting against both Roberts and Alito as a Senator.

I've been of the mind Garland would have been a better Kennedy replacement anyway because of his more centrist stance on many items.

I do think he deserved an up or down vote regardless.

If the Democrats control the presidency in 2020, along with the Senate and House, what's the Republican argument against Democrats packing the Court? 4 out of 9 justices (and maybe more if RBG doesn't last until then) will have been appointed by a president who lost the popular vote. With respect to social issues, the nation is moving in one direction; the court likely in another (gay rights, reproduction rights, civil rights,in voting rights). The Garland appointment was stolen. The filibuster rule for appointees was eliminated to get Gorsuch through. Republicans have shown no willingness to play by the norms. I don't see any moral ground for them to stand on to argue against it. It would likely require eliminating the filibuster rule for legislation, but at least some Republicans have been wanting to eliminate that for a while.

So 157-80? A neat 2-1 margin. Keep preaching about your 11 yes votes. I didn’t take the time to check your math vs mine. But hey what a 2-1 vote against margin.

And for the record Garland should have been seated

VHF is on fire tonight. Thank you for some education about vetting. As a PoliSci grad years ago I did not know, embarrassingly.

VN Store

Back