Kim Caldwell Vol Club Confidential

Loved the interview of Caldwell. She made clear what I have already said about her approach and system. This is what she did at MARSHALL and GLENVILLE. As a MARSHALL ALUM I will be rooting for her all the way. No one should be afraid or concerned about the play of her team. She is going to have better players now and she will be even more effective.

I like her philosophy, particularly her emphasis on allowing players to make plays rather than being locked into a rigid set of plays. That is Geno's ethos which is teaching players concepts rather than plays.

The only drawback is that it takes some time to get everyone on the same page and learning how to riff off of each other effectively. It helps if you have players with high b-ball IQs.

Last edited:
this is the best interview yet of her. wow. she is a TOUGH COOKIE. she has a great personality but she is ALL business people. i loved harper but i honestly will sleep good knowing this firecracker of a coach is on the job. she has a confidence and toughness that will absolutely be contagious to the team. and, i loved that she said a coach has to be strict in the beginning and get nice later. sounds like pat.

this is the best interview yet of her. wow. she is a TOUGH COOKIE. she has a great personality but she is ALL business people. i loved harper but i honestly will sleep good knowing this firecracker of a coach is on the job. she has a confidence and toughness that will absolutely be contagious to the team. and, i loved that she said a coach has to be strict in the beginning and get nice later. sounds like pat.
Sounds like a Teacher.

Outstanding interview by Coach Caldwell. I am not seeing anything that makes me believe she won’t have this team ready to compete immediately this season.

CKC is one of the best basketball minds in WBB.

I stated during the coaching search process that I’m licensed in education/athletic administration and have been apart of athletic teams that won championships on multiple levels (classifications) in the high school ranks.

Just hearing CKC speak and the message she delivers I can tell you right now the thing that will separate Tennessee from Alabama, Texas, LSU, Kentucky, Ole Miss, and Oklahoma is their strength and conditioning.

The only team that Tennessee will have to work exceedingly hard to match their strength and conditioning across the board is South Carolina.

And while a few people talk daily about basic points like shooting percentages from a year ago, the most important factor of any program in sports that takes good players and can build them into great players is strength and conditioning training in the off-season.

When we won championships in any program I worked with I can tell you those titles were won in May, June, and July during the off-season not in-season practice.

That is why CKC says they will be the hardest working team, she knows that is the bread and butter. It is a secret weapon. When teams are worn out by halftime or 3rd qtr and your players have fresh legs that’s when you take over!

CKC just has that “it” factor and work ethic to win at any level. That is why we saw a former McDD All-American in Jillian Hollingshead display peak athleticism dunking a basketball with ease!

GBO🍊. Tennessee is back!

House/RockyTop, I agree 100% that she'll have them ready to compete with quality opponents this season, but perhaps not "immediately." Hopefully by 7-10 games in they'll be inching closer, but there is so much new -- new staff, several new players, new system, new plays -- and it would be near impossible for ANY coach, no matter how capable they are, to get that much done to start the season.

I do believe there'll be a time where the players will be a tad slow to react at the beginning of the season because at that point they'll still be thinking about about their movements, and that kinda leads to mistakes or getting beat. The kind of mistakes that maybe 5 games and 20 practices later they won't make as often.

I truly believe that they'll all reach their light bulb moments at different points in the learning process, too, so keep that in mind.

We are going to have a ball as fans this season, I have no doubt. But we may have to take just a few lumps early-early on. Just a few. But then we'll be, as we say in the country, ready for bear.

VN Store

Back