Kirk Herbstreit Singles out Nico

While I somewhat agree there should probably be more detailed rules about NIL and using it as a recruiting tool has quickly got out of hand, Kirk should be ashamed for singling out a high school kid.

Say what you want about UT/Spyre, but leave the kid's name out of it.

In almost the same breath, he used Bryce Young as an example. BY had NIL deals in place in '21 worth $1 million before playing any significant snaps or becoming the starter. He played 13 snaps total that season, btw. Don't think for a second Saban didn't purposefully float that out there to bolster recruiting.

Kirk should be ashamed for being such a hypocrite and citing BY/Bama as a model while striking out against UT. I don't have any proof that BY knew this coming to Bama, but there's no way they haven't used it in recruiting since then. These kids know that kinda money is available. OSU is in the same boat as Bama and UT when it comes to NIL collectives. Him bashing one school while citing two others is ridiculous when all 3 are doing the EXACT SAME THING.

I'm not a huge fan of the Twitter mob, but I would be ok if Vol Twitter spent the next week roasting Herbie. He should be ashamed for singling out a kid and his opportunities on national TV and talking out of both sides of his mouth.

Kirk Herbstreit blasts state of NIL in college football, singles out Nico Iamaleava
I agree with kirk when he said NIL was set up to help players make extra money through networking to profit off their name not as a bidding war to get players. Infact, I think if you have a NIL deal then you should have to pay for your tuition and a scholarship goes to a non athletic student.

Reactions: Frozevol
Did he actually say Nico's name? If so, then I would have a talk with him if I was Nico's dad. It's all speculation until Nico signs and a deal is announced.

While I somewhat agree there should probably be more detailed rules about NIL and using it as a recruiting tool has quickly got out of hand, Kirk should be ashamed for singling out a high school kid.

In almost the same breath, he used Bryce Young as an example. BY had NIL deals in place in '21 worth $1 million before playing any significant snaps or becoming the starter. He played 13 snaps total that season, btw. Don't think for a second Saban didn't purposefully float that out there to bolster recruiting.

Kirk should be ashamed for being such a hypocrite and citing BY/Bama as a model while striking out against UT. I don't have any proof that BY knew this coming to Bama, but there's no way they haven't used it in recruiting since then. These kids know that kinda money is available. OSU is in the same boat as Bama and UT when it comes to NIL collectives. Him bashing one school while citing two others is ridiculous when all 3 are doing the EXACT SAME THING.

I'm not a huge fan of the Twitter mob, but I would be ok if Vol Twitter spent the next week roasting Herbie. He should be ashamed for singling out a kid and his opportunities on national TV and talking out of both sides of his mouth.

Kirk Herbstreit blasts state of NIL in college football, singles out Nico Iamaleava
79D4749F-4233-4149-8608-F1BF10A0FE0D.gif

Reactions: Volfan2112
Think Nico is only in the $1m range so far. Think you will have to ask Spyre where the other $7m is coming from. Young in the $2m-$4m range. Ask A&M what a #1 class costs.
That is so depressing I am lost for words

Herbsteit has been, is, and will forever be the largest punk involved with college football. I give less than a rats xxx what he thinks about most any subject.

The “establishment” of college football (sorry I couldn’t come up with a better term) HATES NIL because it undoes the once iron clad advantage the blue blood programs had by paying players under the table. NIL puts all the cards on the table so to speak and lets more honest programs like UT enter the game. Herbstreit represents the “old money” world of College Football so I am not surprised by his outburst
You sure about that? Look at the current Top 5 in recruiting. Looks like the usual suspects.
Screenshot_20220829-224439-266.png

Seeing vols against NIL is crazy to me seems like the perfect way to speed up our trip back to relevancy. Even without that if it brings even a little bit of parity back to the sport it’s a win in my book.

Of course I see the difference. Just not sure the locker room will care. It’s said that a rising tide raises all boats. No matter what Peyton did his teammates were still unaffected. Nico is going to get some other kids paid and I doubt they turn on him after one game.
I would ignore this guy. He's all about 'capitalism' until he's not. Another guy that thinks he's smarter than he is that talks out of both sides of his mouth. Oh, and Herbstriet has lady parts

Except the United States Supreme Court disagrees with you. College football has always been a job, now the players get a legal piece of their pie.
Actually they said players are allowed to profit off of their name, image and likeness. We can all agree the NCAA is a corrupt union like any other union and they don't truly have the players in mind when making their 15 thousands rules or how ever many there is. The courts allowed the STUDENT athletes to profit off of their name. Which I agree and understand. The current NIL isn't what it's supposed to be. To be frank Vols NIL may have the money but we sure ain't spending it right to get as many blue chips/5*/4* players we need to compete for a natty

Thanks. I know how capitalism works and personally enjoy the fruits of it. But the NIL system is flawed and not doing what it was designed to do, which is shift recruiting away from coaches to businesses. It’s not good for the sport and can potentially cause problems in the locker room like Herby stated. He’s right.
My friend this $$$ wave didn’t just begin with the NIL. I do understand…..its the Wild West now. Herbstreit is so bias, impossible to hide

There is no remedy. Everyone demanded these players get paid, ignoring the 50-100K in scholarship money they already were getting, and said the players were being treated like slaves. The truth is a D1 football player on scholarship is living a better life than anyone else on campus, but yet everyone said it’s not enough because a couple of low income kids couldn’t afford to go to the movies on the weekend. And this, what we have now, players who haven’t done a damn thing yet on a college football field getting millions in contract money was the solution??? Not a reasonable monthly stipend?? Sorry, may sound like the old guys screaming at traffic, but NIL is ruining the sport
Meh, changing it, sure. Ruining it, not a chance. It's been happening since forever, now it's just public.

It will evolve. These NIL deals will become essentially what a rookie NFL contract is today.

Regardless of all that, this is good exposure for UT. A highschool kid is going to see it and think. WTF, you can make 8 million at a school that hasn't been relevant in 20 years? Then when they learn TN has no state tax and move here and that 8 million is worth more at UT than at Bama, Ohio St, USC, Clemson, ect(insert 90% of all D1 schools).

Last edited:
Reactions: Remy and kcvols1
They can whine and moan about NIL all they want, but their whining just ignores the reality that this is where college football is at the moment. And, given that the nature of 4-year-eligibility most likely rules out the players’ potential to unionize and negotiate collectively, I don’t see it changing anytime soon.

The main solutions put forth by most of these talking heads are for NIL to somehow be regulated by limits imposed by an oversight group like the NCAA, by the conferences or by the schools. Any such limits have serious problems under the Antitrust laws, because they involve some degree of collusion between the schools to get there.

The professional sports leagues get around this issue through collective bargaining between the players unions and the leagues/owners. Without the unions and collective bargaining, I don’t see a way out for the schools on this one. Even though it is likely very detrimental to the sport.

Unless Congress intervenes, and then the sport is really screwed.

Meh, changing it, sure. Ruining it, not a chance. It's been happening since forever, now it's just public.

It will evolve. These NIL deals will become essentially what a rookie NFL contract is today.

Regardless of all that, this is good exposure for UT. A highschool kid is going to see it and think. WTF, you can make 8 million at a school that hasn't been relevant in 20 years? Then when they learn TN has no state tax and move here and that 8 million is worth more at UT than at Bama, Ohio St, USC, Clemson, ect(insert 90% of all D1 schools).

In other words, you love it because it benefits UT

Reactions: njvols
What he said is 100% accurate. What is going to happen when the 5 star guy making millions of dollars is terrible? It is a legit question. Vol fans are so damn sensitive about everything. lord.
Ya but what people don’t think about is this isn’t necessary performance pay. Nico is legit famous in the world of college football. He’s gets talked about on ESPN, has played on national television, and has a huge social media presence. He already has market value, despite not playing. Once he plays and does well he’s value will go up. If he does poorly he’s value will go down and he will make less. He and manning or other elite prospects are already valuable to companies. Most college prospects will need to perform to get paid really high but super elite QBs are a different animal all together.

This, except there’s no multi-year NIL deals, regardless of what the press says about Nico.

Also, one wonders whether a scholarship athlete might have to file returns in each state in which he or she plays? If NIL isn’t pay for play, then there’s your argument.

VN Store

Back