Knecht wins Julius Erving Small Forward of the year

JCP201

VFL GIRL, better or worse.
Classic Knecht: "I am honored to receive this prestigious award. To see my name associated with one of the greatest basketball players ever is truly humbling," Knecht said. "I want to thank Julius Erving and the entire committee for selecting me. It would not have been possible, though, without my teammates and coaches. I'd like to express my appreciation to every single one of them for supporting me throughout this entire season, on and off the court. I will be forever grateful to all of them, as well as to the University of Tennessee community and Vol Nation, for embracing me in such an incredible way."

I don't recall a more humble athlete.

Classic Knecht: "I am honored to receive this prestigious award. To see my name associated with one of the greatest basketball players ever is truly humbling," Knecht said. "I want to thank Julius Erving and the entire committee for selecting me. It would not have been possible, though, without my teammates and coaches. I'd like to express my appreciation to every single one of them for supporting me throughout this entire season, on and off the court. I will be forever grateful to all of them, as well as to the University of Tennessee community and Vol Nation, for embracing me in such an incredible way."

Dude played one year and is definitely one of my all time favorites. Wish we had him longer.

You should've finished your sentence with.........since the last time I said this.

Who could have predicted this for DK when he announced his decision to join the Vols. I too along with all of Volnation express my thanks for DK providing so many exciting, dramatic moments this past season. One we’ll remember for many years! Take your rightful seat along side some of the best to ever don the Orange and White Dalton Knecht!

Knect is the closest mix of Dr.J & Larry Bird I've seen. In the open court those huge stride plays gliding thru the air are the Doctor all over. Doc is my favorite athlete in any sport all time. Then that raaaaaange and unstoppable on the perimeter with so many moves to the paint etc are Larry like! Well deserved young man!

Last edited:

The anti-Edey. Glad we got to enjoy him for a season!

Knecht is going to be great off the ball in the NBA, with all the spacing and premium on 3 pt shooting. Get him in the open court and trailing around the 3 pt line off a secondary break and he is going to get buckets. Offensively he needs to tighten up his ball-handling but otherwise he can already contribute to any NBA team.

Reactions: DuckInAPen
The Doctor is my all-time favorite player....especially the Rucker/ABA version. Edey will win POTY, but this one would be my most cherished award. Huge feather in Knecht's cap. Congrats.
Those 70s seasons with the Squires and Nets are legendary. Some of the best players of all time were in the ABA in that era. Most of them excelled in the NBA too. My Goodness....Issel, Gilmore, Moses Malone, David Thompson, George Gervin, Rick Barry, George McGinnis, Spencer Haywood, etc

Reactions: SlyStone
I believe by winning this national award, he has now officially met the criteria to have his jersey retired. Pretty wild. In 1-year.
I think he has, although aren't the criteria "unofficial"? Anyway, I really don't like retiring jerseys. I'd rather see a new guy in the number. Let it be an honor to wear it. But no one's going to ask me. 😂 Of course, once you start retiring them, it can look like a slight to stop.

Either way, 3 was definitely a great number for the great VFL Knecht 3!

Last edited:
Reactions: berryvol

Appropriately, post #3.

One year or not, DK is every bit a VFL. Like a shooting star, he came and went by too quickly, and the only regret is we'll never be able to see him in orange and white again.

As a lifelong Sixers fan, it couldn't be more fitting that such a humble and hard working kid receive an award named after one of the classiest gentlemen to ever grace a sports arena. Julius always exuded class, loyalty, and elegance while being as fierce a competitor between the lines I was ever fortunate enough to see in person, and Dalton looks to be following in his footsteps. Congratulations.

How lucky we were to have experienced such a GREAT player and person at UT. It doesn't happen that often.

View attachment 632366RlJc_aem_AYtuUHZy_QIkGvBh1qG-zjemKeCKFqhBl899kuf6Tz_EIrOgqlMPzL6sJVWX0tkboEZKXzZ0gN22bzNwIkaVCqGU

Erving was once going to play for the Atlanta Hawks franchise and they also drafted Bill Russell but traded him to Boston.

Reactions: JCP201

VN Store

Back