‘23 LA CB Carl Williams IV

About them going after more CBs.
You said WE NEED MORE CBs.
The staff agrees.

And this dude is better than then ones we have imo.

Of course I know why you asked "About what?". You're absolutely ridiculous lol.
All you see is a 3 star.
That’s not it at all. I’ve just posted a lot of things on here people disagree with. So I didn’t know which post it was. My point about Strozier wasn’t ever necessarily about them pursuing another corner. Just that if a blue chipper wanted to come here we couldn’t really turn him away. I’m all for taking as many athletic corners as we can get though, and he looks like a good athlete. The competition doesn’t look the greatest. That may be why Baylor is his best offer, but he definitely stands out in his video. I think he’s definitely a better cover corner than Conyer, but I’m not so sure about Gibson and Matthews

Reactions: LittleVol
That’s not it at all. I’ve just posted a lot of things on here people disagree with. So I didn’t know which post it was. My point about Strozier wasn’t ever necessarily about them pursuing another corner. Just that if a blue chipper wanted to come here we couldn’t really turn him away. I’m all for taking as many athletic corners as we can get though, and he looks like a good athlete. The competition doesn’t look the greatest. That may be why Baylor is his best offer, but he definitely stands out in his video. I think he’s definitely a better cover corner than Conyer, but I’m not so sure about Gibson and Matthews
Well hopefully he signs with us and then we can both see how that answer unfolds on the practice field.
But I just wanted to point out you were actually right :).

I know people have been coming down on you pretty hard. And deservedly so haha.
In a fair world though, we get the blame AND the praise :cool:.
I try to be fair, and you were absolutely right about this.

Reactions: Smokey19rt
Oh my. If the 5'11" is legit with that kind of speed then pull him on in.

It isn't easy to get me excited over recruiting any more. I've just witnessed excitement turn into reality with too many players and classes over the years. But this DB class is really starting to look good. The quality looks good and the depth.
We’re done ‘cruiting 4.5, 4.6 x40 corners - about time!

Well hopefully he signs with us and then we can both see how that answer unfolds on the practice field.
But I just wanted to point out you were actually right :).

I know people have been coming down on you pretty hard. And deservedly so haha.
In a fair world though, we get the blame AND the praise :cool:.
I try to be fair, and you were absolutely right about this.
This also makes me think they don’t intend on playing Conyer on the boundary either and prefer him at the star like I’ve been telling people for the last 3 months

This also makes me think they don’t intend on playing Conyer on the boundary either and prefer him at the star like I’ve been telling people for the last 3 months
Maybe.

Conyer certainly can play that imo.
I reccomend watching his sophomore film.
It's rare for that, but his sophomore tape is impressive vs his junior film which is "meh".

Jusr my opinion. Conyer is 6'2 legitimately and will one day be about 205. Probably doesn't contribute until 2024.
This Williams kid could be #3 behind Charles and Hadden for 2023. With Gibson and Matthews being right there too

I won't disagree, but I think it's more of a case of needing your 1's and 2's to be essentially starters. The defense has to not be gassed in the 4th quarter in games like Bama and UGA, but you also can't have a major drop off in talent.

That blurb about his time comes from a brief description on 247. The times didn't seem consistent. Like a whole second faster between runs haha. So I thought it was a typo maybe it was 10.99?

Nope. It is an official time via the Louisiana State athletics and on Athletic.net.
The 10.49 is legit. And honestly once you see his film, you do believe he is that fast.
I wonder if it wasn't coaching in track. I think guys can cut significant time with better starts and running technique, right?

I like all 3 of our CBs. And Matthews and Gibson have better offers than this kid. But it's not odd at all that our staff is trying to add him. This guy is a true island CB. Speed. Ups! Hands and super physical. Pacman Jones, Jenoris Jenkins physical.

Not going to get into star ranking about him, but of course it's way off. And the staff must have just now got wind of him? The timing of the offer is odd, but once you see him, you understand the offer regardless of who we have committed.
Probably just a matter of time before someone comes snooping. That's something that seems to happen more with the current staff.

I wonder if it wasn't coaching in track. I think guys can cut significant time with better starts and running technique, right?

Probably just a matter of time before someone comes snooping. That's something that seems to happen more with the current staff.
Did I see that wrong, or did his times get slower? May have hurt himself?

Maybe.

Conyer certainly can play that imo.
I reccomend watching his sophomore film.
It's rare for that, but his sophomore tape is impressive vs his junior film which is "meh".

Jusr my opinion. Conyer is 6'2 legitimately and will one day be about 205. Probably doesn't contribute until 2024.
This Williams kid could be #3 behind Charles and Hadden for 2023. With Gibson and Matthews being right there too
I just know that out of the states within the SEC that Kentucky probably has the worst HS football of them all and his highlights on defense would be almost non existent in his junior year if a few of those deep balls weren’t underthrown. I think that combined with the fact that we’re much deeper at the star position which will give him time to develop there makes that position a better fit than corner. Whereas Matthews and Gibson can likely compete for meaningful reps halfway through their freshman year especially if they EE. Conyer seems to be more of a project where our other 2 corners are more college ready. This guy is a great athlete but making the jump from 1A to the SEC is tough regardless of how athletic you are. He would be going from playing against teams where the OL/DL aren’t much bigger than him to essentially playing against grown men in a league that’s like AA NFL ball. That’s a major jump. Not saying he can’t do it, but it will take some time to adjust

I just know that out of the states within the SEC that Kentucky probably has the worst HS football of them all and his highlights on defense would be almost non existent in his junior year if a few of those deep balls weren’t underthrown. I think that combined with the fact that we’re much deeper at the star position which will give him time to develop there makes that position a better fit than corner. Whereas Matthews and Gibson can likely compete for meaningful reps halfway through their freshman year especially if they EE. Conyer seems to be more of a project where our other 2 corners are more college ready. This guy is a great athlete but making the jump from 1A to the SEC is tough regardless of how athletic you are. He would be going from playing against teams where the OL/DL aren’t much bigger than him to essentially playing against grown men in a league that’s like AA NFL ball. That’s a major jump. Not saying he can’t do it, but it will take some time to adjust

I think you’re right. Conyer is being signed based on raw physical tools that need polishing and will take time. The other two (especially Mathews) are more polished. But even so, I think Conyer, once polished, looks more like a Star. And that’s a good thing because it’s a very important position in this defense.

Basically, we have a complete starting 5-man secondary committed in the ‘23 class, plus an additional Safety.

Wow....he has better film than any of our committed CBs :oops::oops::oops::oops::oops::oops::oops:.

This dude is legit.
-Trusts his speed in transition.
- great hands
- physical dude
- great instincts
- really really fast!

Alphonzo Smith is who he plays like. Kid from Pahokee FL that played at Wake Forest and then Denver Broncos.

Hell yeah get this kid!!
Would love to get another kid out of LA.

VN Store

Back