Lady Vols - Auburn Turnovers

I enjoy watching the Lady Vols but their turnovers will ultimately destroy them. Notorious for turnovers !!!

What I saw was selfish play. players that were determined to get theirs and you get yours. No team play and way too much dribbling of the basketball.

... by girls who can't dribble the basketball. I tried to tell everyone with all this FF talk... pipe dream. Kellie needs more basketball players instead of athletes who happen to play basketball.

Reactions: leopard20
That should put a stop to all the National Championship talk.
The Lady Vols need to play with half of the hustle that the Lady Tigers played with and they would be unstoppable. No one in orange hustles as hard as Auburn did. Pat is turning in her grave. And bench Rae Burrell, she is a huge liability.

What is wrong with Rae? Is she tentative as a result of her injury? Or is she still hurting because of it. Something is wrong. Any ideas anyone?

What is wrong with Rae? Is she tentative as a result of her injury? Or is she still hurting because of it. Something is wrong. Any ideas anyone?
I don't get this "bench Rae" talk. Her being on the court alone is a threat for opposing teams, and she will draw more attention then Tess could in her best days. Swapping the two wouldn't have made the result any better. Rae is at least a better defensive player even if she's struggling on offense.

This team will go as far as The Jordans, Rae, Dye and Key will take them. Contributions from anyone else (which is really just Puckett) is just the icing on the cake.

I explained in detail in another post that it was not your TO's that hurt you. The Lady Vol's are not a good handling team. Against Ga. you turned the ball over 21 times. Against Kentucky you turned the ball over 18 times. Twenty-two TO's is not out of the norm for this team. The difference is Offensive rebounds. Offensive rebounds cancel TO's. A ORB is and extra possession. A TO is a lost possession. Your offensive rebounds in the prior 2 games 20 and 21. In this game it was 11. Green was your best offensive rebounder in the GA/KY games with 9 combined. It's obvious KJH hasn't been able to fix the handle problem and now must figure out who can replace Green on the O boards.

I explained in detail in another post that it was not your TO's that hurt you. The Lady Vol's are not a good handling team. Against Ga. you turned the ball over 21 times. Against Kentucky you turned the ball over 18 times. Twenty-two TO's is not out of the norm for this team. The difference is Offensive rebounds. Offensive rebounds cancel TO's. A ORB is and extra possession. A TO is a lost possession. Your offensive rebounds in the prior 2 games 20 and 21. In this game it was 11. Green was your best offensive rebounder in the GA/KY games with 9 combined. It's obvious KJH hasn't been able to fix the handle problem and now must figure out who can replace Green on the O boards.
It's not a sustainable strategy to just get all of the offensive rebounds, because if someone takes that away you have nothing left. Mizzou crushed MSST on the boards, but still got blown away because MSST shot lights out. Same with Arkansas' win over LSU. Some offense and valuing the ball would be a much more expected approach to a winning strategy than just hoping you can out-athlete your opponents.

Just a quick thought. What in the world was Kellie thinking when she made subs for 90 percent of the team in the first quarter with us up by 10 points. I understand the subs but maybe 1 or 2 at a time. We were playing like the Lady Vols when she did that and she lect them in for the rest of the quarter, and if Auburn had not missed a shot they would have been leading us at the end of the first. I think this loss was on Kellie for the first time this year. No other coach pulls their whole team and leaves them on the bench when the starters were playing well. Maybe she will learn from it as this is the second time that I have seen her do it this year, fortunately our starters came back in and took control the first time. I do think it is time to pay the price in practice for the UNFORCED turnovers which most tonight were because of laziness I'm a Lady Vol fan for life and a Hugh Kellie fan but I still think that it needs to be a price to pay for the unforced and unnecessary turnovers

It happens when you don't take the other team seriously.

speaking of stupid,,hello Garth
Fully expected to see you after your disappearance, once you had a potential soapbox again
Nothing he said above is incorrect. We've known all season that turnovers were a problem. Maybe it's because the team's been winning in spite of them, but it seems that the work hasn't been put in to fix the issue and it's just masked with a shiny coat of suffocating defense and aggressive rebounding.

And posting it twice doesn't make your "explanation" any less stupid. Auburn scored 28 points off Tennessee's turnovers. There's your game...

Certainly turnovers and the defense gave up far too many uncontested shots. Too many wide-open 3s and layups, which was very uncharacteristic. My favorite thing about this team is that they usually make you grind and you still end up taking a shot with a hand in your face.

Walker and Horston scored--but overall they were not good in this game. They are responsible for organizing the offense, and the offense
was a disorganized mess all night--much like the defense. Together--together--they had 1 assist and 10 turnovers in the game. They didn't create for Key--four shots, we didn't have enough kickouts for 3s (9 total). Our wings, Dye and Burrell, were never in the flow. Dye was a complete MIA on offense and Burrell struggled as well. Puckett probably should have played more, for sure.

Turnovers come first and foremost from failed pass attempts. I know the flashy transition turnovers and charges stick out more, but a lot of the "how'd they get to 20 turnovers" reaction we often have come from bad passing on offense. Dissecting why those passes were made and coming up with solutions that address those choices is important. Are the bad passes made because the player doesn't know where to go with the ball? Are they made because the player made a bad decision? Are they because the other teammate isn't doing their job to receive a pass? Maybe the team didn't have the right personnel to handle a defensive look. Maybe it's a bad offensive set. Maybe a player felt pressured to try something risky. Or maybe they just didn't value the ball enough and threw it into a bad situation. It's all kinds of stuff. Point is, passes are the foundation of turnovers, and a good coach will examine why those passes are being made and come up with anything - anything - to reduce the odds of them happening in the future.

But also, they have to be realistic. I think sometimes people think "well they need to coach them to protect the ball better." That's technically true, but there comes a point where you can't teach a player to be inherently "great" at ball handling any more than you can teach them to be faster (beyond a point). Some element of turnover problems stem from who you have on your roster. Not every player can handle the ball. A lot can't, actually. Oh I mean, they can in a vacuum, sure, but when you apply pressure plenty of players can't hold on to the ball for too long. That's why ballhandlers are so valued on teams, even to the detriment of other skills. And it's also why a point guard who can handle the ball and make passes is incredibly valuable, even if they don't score too often. Oh, and it's also yet another reason why Candace Parker was one of the best players of all time - you rarely get a 6'-4" post who can handle the ball like a point guard, but Candace Parker could. Goodness. I suppose what I'm saying is, while they can definitely improve their turnover totals if they want, they also need to ink a few more ball-handlers, particularly ones who can score hoop points.

Anyway. I'm rambling. Point is, to improve turnovers, coaches have to address the things they can actually influence, and minimize the things they can't, and there's a lot of little things that add up to turnovers. Get that average from 17 to 15 and you just might win it all. But that's the trick of it. If you asked yourself who the best ball-handler on Tennessee's roster was, who would you say? Second best? See, even that gets tricky. Tough to suss out with this group sometimes. Oh well.

Last edited:
Walker and Horston scored--but overall they were not good in this game. They are responsible for organizing the offense, and the offense
was a disorganized mess all night

Point guard play has been awful for a while now, but no one wanted to admit it because they were still winning in spite of it...

Hey, Coach J...what drills or strategies do you employ to address excessive turnovers? Serious question; just curious.

I ain't Coach, but because turnovers can happen in so many different ways you have to employ several different drills as well as repetitively build the basketball IQ of your team regarding what situations lend themselves to turning the ball over.

One of the biggest things is practicing post-entry passes and talking about the best ways to get the ball to your post. The most foolproof way to get the ball into the post is to fake a bounce pass and zip the pass in there right by the defender's ear.

You want to run drills on how to handle traps in the press and in the half court.

You want to run ball handling drills on a constricted court. Limit the offensive player to dribbling in the paint and the defender has no job other than try to take the ball from them.

You want to practice getting open. Run drills like constricted space v cuts to get open, and using your body to fight for the ball.

You practice catching the ball. Run drills where you have to catch bad passes. Practice bringing the ball in one handed when you have to. Practice catching low passes, high passes, etc.

Have a plan. When a ball handler gets in trouble the rest of the team should purposefully know where they are supposed to go to on the court to bail them out. If a ball handler gets in trouble, she knows exactly where she can go with the ball to get out of trouble.

Plus there's all kinds of little tips that coaches can give players that can keep them from committing turnovers. Don't pick up your dribble. Don't dribble without a purpose. Don't lose your pivot foot. Use ball fakes, pass fakes, shot fakes. Use your body. Use your eyes to deceive the defender. Hold the ball strong. Don't put the ball in a pocket. Use the triple threat position. Don't go more than 90% of your full speed on offense.

Hey, Coach J...what drills or strategies do you employ to address excessive turnovers? Serious question; just curious.

First of all I break them down from film : forced, unforced, and questionable call.
then, if I had the means I would put each TO on film and run through the film at practice and "discuss each one" until we consistently stayed under 13 turnovers a game...."Less than 13 and no TO-talk!"

As I chart them I also designate them : BH (ball handling error), passer-error, receiver-error, Focus (Player not ready or aware),,. I look for trends.

When on the court, coaching, I am not one to let preventable unforced TO's go. I don't publicly berate my players,,,but they KNOW when I am pissed,,,(("that stare")),,, and if I feel it is warranted, I will verbally address that player, and I don't care who is watching.

You can't be scared to reprimand your players if it IS warranted.
Players appreciate defined-limits.

And you can't be fake about it either...When CHW got in her players faces, it was almost comical. She looked like a chicken with its feathers ruffled,,and the players looked like Foghorn Leghorn.
But CHW didn't trust her staff enough to give this role to someone who could have done it. This is where I feel she failed...She din't trust the people around her enough to give them authority,,,they were all "yes-men".

+++++++++++++

Another strategy I would employ given the resources UT has,,,would be to see if my practice team is giving the same level of intensity, style of play (used against us) and same level of resistance...When i have my girls play against boys, I make sure one of my coaches is coaching the boys! I don't just let them run the drills and spar with my girls, I want them to challenge my players and I want them to be coached to do so. I also instruct the boys to play "one level higher" than they feel the girl is at and to constantly elevate their game as the girl's game elevates,,until the girl catches up or passes them.

To solve a problem you have to understand why it is happening

As far as drills and strategies,,,if there is a very continual and consistent TO happening, there is always a drill for it...But if most of the TO's are mental lapses, it is up to the coach to get them focused and NOT accept players being un-focused !

I enjoy watching the Lady Vols but their turnovers will ultimately destroy them. Notorious for turnovers !!!
This team is averaging the same amount of turnovers as the 2007-2008 Team that won the national championship, however, with so much more parity in the game, turnovers are definitely something we really need to cut down to get to a final four this year.

Are you the investment judge? Should I clear my level of "give a ****" through you first? I didn't know. Sorry.
Well, now you know. Please send your screaming, end of the lady vol basketball world posts to dondiego.com for clearance before you have your next conniption fit about a team with two losses on the year...and get a (man's) life.

It's not a sustainable strategy to just get all of the offensive rebounds, because if someone takes that away you have nothing left. Mizzou crushed MSST on the boards, but still got blown away because MSST shot lights out. Same with Arkansas' win over LSU. Some offense and valuing the ball would be a much more expected approach to a winning strategy than just hoping you can out-athlete your opponents.
True. That's why Auburn won. Leaving out the Auburn game, the Lady Vols averaged 16.3 offensive rebounds to 16.7 turnovers in the first 19 games. They were canceling turnovers with offensive rebounds.

I ran some numbers on Auburn alone. If you take away 11 shot attempts from Auburn's total. 58% of Auburn's shots were two pointers. 58% of 11 = 6.35. So we remove 7 2 point attempts and 4 3 point attempts. Expecting the shooting percentages from the game to remain the same The final would be UT 71 - Aub 56

Last edited:
I don't get this "bench Rae" talk. Her being on the court alone is a threat for opposing teams, and she will draw more attention then Tess could in her best days. Swapping the two wouldn't have made the result any better. Rae is at least a better defensive player even if she's struggling on offense.

This team will go as far as The Jordans, Rae, Dye and Key will take them. Contributions from anyone else (which is really just Puckett) is just the icing on the cake.

It's quite simple. Rae plays better when she comes off the bench. Plus we don't really have a deep bench so her coming off the bench gives us firepower both defensively and offensively. Both times she started she tried to do too much and really wasn't sharing the ball much. Even though we won against Georgia you could still see it. It just was more masked against Georgia cases we won. Last night you really saw. It's not a negative thing that people are saying for her to come of the bench. It would actually help us

Reactions: chuckiepoo

VN Store

Back