Let’s Talk Lady Vols NIL

T_Vol376

Marked on VolNation
Can someone explain the status of Lady Vols NIL to me?

I thought previously all Tennessee sports NIL was under the Volunteer Club collective, but for some reason someone decided the Lady Vols should be separate, hence the revival of the BoostHer Club, headed up by Terri Holder of Orange Mountain Designs. Someone correct this please, if I misunderstood.

Then, I thought I read a few days ago, the Lady Vols NIL had gone back under the Volunteer Club Umbrella. Is this correct? Now I see we have Spyre, which appears to be working with the Volunteer Club to solicit corporate donations. Again, someone please correct this if I’ve misunderstood.

Who is in charge of the Lady Vols NIL collective? What are the rules? It seems the rules are changing. Can the University be involved in NIL? I thought they could not. Has this changed?

Great questions, have been asking for a while and info has been very hard to come by. All you said is apparently true. My understanding is all future LV recruits will have NIL under the Volunteer Club. Current LVs have option to remain w LVBHC I believe. LVBHC will continue small dollar, true NIL for other women athletes who don't really get big dollar salary or signing bonus.

The question I can never get answered is if I donate to Vol Club/Spyre, how are those donations doled out. Can I contribute and earmark it for LVs as opposed to buying Nico a new sports car?

Great questions, have been asking for a while and info has been very hard to come by. All you said is apparently true. My understanding is all future LV recruits will have NIL under the Volunteer Club. Current LVs have option to remain w LVBHC I believe. LVBHC will continue small dollar, true NIL for other women athletes who don't really get big dollar salary or signing bonus.

The question I can never get answered is if I donate to Vol Club/Spyre, how are those donations doled out. Can I contribute and earmark it for LVs as opposed to buying Nico a new sports car?

Thanks for your response! That’s ridiculous you can’t get a straight answer about how donations are allocated. Are they just not answering or giving you a runaround response?

Thanks for your response! That’s ridiculous you can’t get a straight answer about how donations are allocated. Are they just not answering or giving you a runaround response?
well to be honest I've only ever asked Terri and that was a long time ago and she wasn't fond of talking about alternative NIL sources. And I've asked "insiders" who post here several times. but I haven't actually contacted the Vol Club, but I will email them.

well to be honest I've only ever asked Terri and that was a long time ago and she wasn't fond of talking about alternative NIL sources. And I've asked "insiders" who post here several times. but I haven't actually contacted the Vol Club, but I will email them.
Yes, I would definitely ask them directly. Please report back on what they say if you can.

I know nothing about NIL for Lady Vols. But if they are not in it, then they need to get in it. Put this Lady Vol program back on top where it belongs. Look at South Carolina, they lost all five starters from last year. Then they turned around and went undefeated this year. I am pretty sure they are doing something in the NIL stuff. They are like 109 - 3 in last three years.

Here's the Vol Club website. Says 90% goes to athletes, 10% to their overhead. No info on how funds are allocated. I have emailed and asked that question. I'll share when they answer, and lol you all owe me for giving them my email addy. I'm sure I'll be flooded with their donation requests forever now.

All I ever heard is we didn't have enough NIL money to sign an old lady much less a elte prospect. Now with the new coach that is supposed to have changed. So we'll see who our first top player is soon I guess.
Yes, I heard pretty much the same and I’m wondering why we couldn’t get NIL money. Is/Was TH the sole solicitor for the LVs? 🤔 Why did they need to be separate? And has that changed? Burning questions I have. LOL

Yes, I heard pretty much the same and I’m wondering why we couldn’t get NIL money. Is/Was TH the sole solicitor for the LVs? 🤔 Why did they need to be separate? And has that changed? Burning questions I have. LOL
Supposed to be changing. I guess we find out when someone of note is committed to play for Tennessee.

Spyre and Volunteer Club should be able to help you however most of the true full info will not be available to the public and only availale to large donors. I am sure that there is a way to donate to one sport or another if you are giving over a certain amount.
I have seen posted that Spyre decides how the NIL is allocated to each player however I have a hard time believing that. I truly believe that the staffs have to tell Spyre who is a priority and who is not. There has to be a back and forth between staff and NIL clubs. The current lawsuit made it legal for that to happen.

Asking questions on a message board will not get you true answers.

Spyre and Volunteer Club should be able to help you however most of the true full info will not be available to the public and only availale to large donors. I am sure that there is a way to donate to one sport or another if you are giving over a certain amount.
I have seen posted that Spyre decides how the NIL is allocated to each player however I have a hard time believing that. I truly believe that the staffs have to tell Spyre who is a priority and who is not. There has to be a back and forth between staff and NIL clubs. The current lawsuit made it legal for that to happen.

I've emailed them, but expect to get the answer you outlined. Fund allocation is probably held very close to the vest by the collectives. Which probably explains why the LVs split off into their own collective. Unfortunately that operation turned out to be really amateurish in spite of good intentions. Another dog chasing tail cycle for the LVs.

Well @glv98 has emailed the Volunteer Club and asked, so we will see what gets reported back. I didn’t really expect true answers. LOL Just really wanted to see what folks think. It seems it’s a mysterious thing. Maybe that’s the problem.

One area that makes me feel more optimistic about NIL for the LVs is that Danny White's ego is on the line here. He made a risky move and I'm sure highly motivated to be proven right. For an AD, he has a lot of general support for him despite questions about this particular hire. Donars wanting him to succeed and his wanting the LVs to succeed increase the opportunities for more NIL for the LVs.

One area that makes me feel more optimistic about NIL for the LVs is that Danny White's ego is on the line here. He made a risky move and I'm sure highly motivated to be proven right. For an AD, he has a lot of general support for him despite questions about this particular hire. Donars wanting him to succeed and his wanting the LVs to succeed increase the opportunities for more NIL for the LVs.
He will be passing around the hat whenever he can because he can’t afford to look like an idiot. He’ll get our new coach a ton to work with. I’d expect some huge portal commitments.

It is my understand that early on -- VERY early on -- the urgency to launch the LVBHC was so there was an entity that ensured whatever donations were collected would benefit athletes across all UT's women's sports, giving everyone a little slice of the pie. I think in the situation before that, it appeared to some that the women were being left out. Of course, in that early LVBHC scenario the slices were/are super thin for most, but at least they were trying.

My feeling is that the whole what-is-and-isn't-legal and common practice as far as NIL now has changed dramatically in just the last 18 months, so what worked early on may have needed to be upgraded. I know the athletes greatly appreciate the LVBHC's efforts, but it looks like maybe the bigger money opportunities have always been elsewhere.

I thought previously all Tennessee sports NIL was under the Volunteer Club collective, but for some reason someone decided the Lady Vols should be separate, hence the revival of the BoostHer Club, headed up by Terri Holder of Orange Mountain Designs. Someone correct this please, if I misunderstood.

Then, I thought I read a few days ago, the Lady Vols NIL had gone back under the Volunteer Club Umbrella. Is this correct? Now I see we have Spyre, which appears to be working with the Volunteer Club to solicit corporate donations. Again, someone please correct this if I’ve misunderstood.

Who is in charge of the Lady Vols NIL collective? What are the rules? It seems the rules are changing. Can the University be involved in NIL? I thought they could not. Has this changed?

justdont.gif

Nico may get a new sports car, but he helps mightily in pumping the fuel that keeps all those non-revenue generating sports driving down the highway. Football is the cash cow.

Brian Rice on the Sports Animal was answering a listeners question a couple of days ago. The LV's have a lot of small donors who have helped the current players have opportunities. Big chuncks have been somewhat limited and used to keep current players or help portal transfers. Not much available for hign school recruits and that has been an issue. Several top players wanted to come but the $ was better elsewhere. Apparently, Danny White has made some progress on this of late and there should be more NIL oprtunities moving forward. The university cannot be directly involved as of yet. There are ways around this rule. Also, when I asked The Volunteer Club about donating to specific athletes they couldn't do it. Have to participate in the players NIL offerings.

LV supporters who want to donate can earmark their donations specifically to the Lady Vols if they wish. The NIL program for the Lady Vols will be only as strong as the donations received. It's up to the fanbase and high-level donors to make it viable.

Also, when I asked The Volunteer Club about donating to specific athletes they couldn't do it. Have to participate in the players NIL offerings.

LV supporters who want to donate can earmark their donations specifically to the Lady Vols if they wish. The NIL program for the Lady Vols will be only as strong as the donations received. It's up to the fanbase and high-level donors to make it viable.
LOL see why this is confusing? Sounds like you can earmark for a specific sport but not a specific athlete.

I'm waiting on a reply to my email.

Through Spyre Vol Club?

Brian Rice on the Sports Animal was answering a listeners question a couple of days ago. The LV's have a lot of small donors who have helped the current players have opportunities. Big chuncks have been somewhat limited and used to keep current players or help portal transfers. Not much available for hign school recruits and that has been an issue. Several top players wanted to come but the $ was better elsewhere. Apparently, Danny White has made some progress on this of late and there should be more NIL oprtunities moving forward. The university cannot be directly involved as of yet. There are ways around this rule. Also, when I asked The Volunteer Club about donating to specific athletes they couldn't do it. Have to participate in the players NIL offerings.

That can't be. That's impossible. IMPOSSIBLE. People on here have sworn up and down for the last eight months that there has never been a NIL problem and that NIL was not impacting recruiting. Even when other posters who had ties to the program said as much, people picked fights and argued about how it was not an issue.

Wait. Were all their snide, snarky remarks about NIL mistaken!? How can that be!? Their stance on NIL was so obviously smarter and righter and betterer than everyone else on this forum.

Surely Brian Rice is wrong. How could he possibly know anything about it?

That can't be. That's impossible. IMPOSSIBLE. People on here have sworn up and down for the last eight months that there has never been a NIL problem and that NIL was not impacting recruiting. Even when other posters who had ties to the program said as much, people picked fights and argued about how it was not an issue.

Wait. Were all their snide, snarky remarks about NIL mistaken!? How can that be!? Their stance on NIL was so obviously smarter and righter and betterer than everyone else on this forum.
OR BR is part of the conspiracy!

We've done this dance so often I can almost predict the next 6 posts. Ya'll wanna break down the 1.1 instead?

VN Store

Back