Lets be honest and look at this hire.

Stupid, unnecessary, representative of the worst "fans" have to offer. Enjoy some jerk referring to your average but hard-working kids someday as garbage.

Great kids in life . I was more referring to Martin left a lacking roster of only 5 SEC caliber players which is unacceptable.

Reactions: 1 person
Simple Mid Major hire like always, coin flip but if he gets us to the sweet 16 in year 3 he bolts for more money like Zoe, I got a feeling we wont have that problem with him.

For one second lets take a step back and remove our own personal agenda's out of the equation of evaluating this hire just from a Coaching prospect standpoint. Obviously the same posters that continually support martin will be unable to do that but the fact of the matter is HE IS GONE and that is for many reasons so if you liked him it is irrelevant because he is not longer our coach and 75-85% of the fan base wanted it that way any way. So all I can say to some of you is get on or go bears. Preferably root for cal.

A few quick points that this early on have made me quickly grow on Tyndel:

- I liked the HAT motto that he would make a culture of with theam.

-Love the fact that he will play up tempo early on this gives us a chance to upset so people that have us completely out matched. (see pearls defensive scheme) first 2 years.

-Lastly we are back to an eccentric, genuine, charismatic guy leading our program and very crucial at this time promote it!:clapping:

Obviously recruiting this year is going to be near to impossible but lets see what he can do and more importantly what he can do with a dwindeld roster as far as motivation and development. That will give us a bigger insight on what he will be able to do down the road than anything.
CDT & CBJ both seem to like a very fast paced physical team & I think that will work to our advantage. We may have less talent, but may pull out a couple extra W's this year on hustle alone.

For one second lets take a step back and remove our own personal agenda's out of the equation of evaluating this hire just from a Coaching prospect standpoint. Obviously the same posters that continually support martin will be unable to do that but the fact of the matter is HE IS GONE and that is for many reasons so if you liked him it is irrelevant because he is not longer our coach and 75-85% of the fan base wanted it that way any way. So all I can say to some of you is get on or go bears. Preferably root for cal.

-Love the fact that he will play up tempo early on this gives us a chance to upset so people that have us completely out matched. (see pearls defensive scheme) first 2 years.

-Lastly we are back to an eccentric, genuine, charismatic guy leading our program and very crucial at this time promote it!:clapping:

Obviously recruiting this year is going to be near to impossible but lets see what he can do and more importantly what he can do with a dwindeld roster as far as motivation and development. That will give us a bigger insight on what he will be able to do down the road than anything.

You are starting out not telling the truth. Prove that 75 to 85% wanted Him gone. All you are doing is saying anything to suit your biased position.

Watched CDT's presser on youtube. Can't say I was overly impressed. I will say he has his work cut out for him at UT and it will take time (2-3 yrs). The question is how patient will those 36,000 be.

there were several media reports that some coaches were not interested in the job bc of the shape the roster was left in.

Sure. I read that one coach said that. That's not what I took exception to, however.

I took exception to referring to the players/roster as "garbage".

I said, I'm sure Josh Richardson and the others appreciate that.

Then the guys singles out a few of them as SEC caliber players but sticks to his guns on the rest, presumably then, he thinks it's okay to refer to Campbell and Lopez as garbage.

How 'bout lets stop calling the players garbage?

Every team in college basketball has players on the bench and walk ons that contribute in some way to the team. It's not unique to us.

There's been literally thousands of posts for the last 6-8 months regarding the roster and next year, I've never taken issue.

1. Just because you run a "fast-tempo" style of play doesn't mean you'll just start winning games. Much higher probability of getting blown out if all you have is mediocre talent.

2. Recruiting is going to be key. Most posters on VN (who have never seen a game Tyndall has coached) just assume he's going to find a "diamond in the rough" with every single scholly and "coach them up". We'll see.

3. He's coached 8 seasons, made the 'AA Tourney only twice. He'll need far better than 25% to survive here. Cuonzo at least hit 33% and went to the Sweet 16.

4. What happens in the middle of this year when things start blowing up. Do the players give up on him? Can he keep a team together? Only time will tell.

I just don't understand running a coach out after 3 years, and then bringing in another coach who will take another 3 just to get back to the Tourney. This is a futile attempt at anything but insanity.

I just don't understand running a coach out after 3 years, and then bringing in another coach who will take another 3 just to get back to the Tourney. This is a futile attempt at anything but insanity.

No one ran him out. He was offered a 1/2 million dollar a year raise. Pretty good offer. If he succeeded next year, then another raise would be in order. He left.

No one ran him out. He was offered a 1/2 million dollar a year raise. Pretty good offer. If he succeeded next year, then another raise would be in order. He left.

Pretty sure those 36,000 names on the petition indirectly ran him out. Yes, legally he left, but he would have been insane to stay here.

That offer was nothing more than a check the box.

Reactions: 2 people

First of all, let be say I am extremely skeptical about your 75 to 85 percent estimation. Beyond that, it is irrelevant, Counzo is gone. However, I find it a crying shame that a Vol legacy chose to re-open his recruitment over this.

As to Coach Tyndall, I hope he has brought in a staff that is hitting the ground running. The odds are against it, but there are still several good HS, Juco, and Grad transfer candidates looking for a roster spot. If they can sell six of these quality guys on Tennessee, and they can jell with our current roster, the Vols just might have a respectable first season under D. Tyndall.

I want that for the returning players. They busted their butts last season, and I feel they deserve to win.

Pretty sure those 36,000 names on the petition indirectly ran him out. Yes, legally he left, but he would have been insane to stay here.

Nonsense. How long are we going to defend Martin because 30,000 plus 'fans' signed a petition--assuming it was 30,000 separate fans? Nobody made him leave. The man got a half-million dollar raise after making the sweet sixteen--after a pretty questionable regular season, I might add.

He was duly appreciated and rewarded for his efforts. As has been said before, he never was happy or comfortable in Knoxville. He resented the fact that Vol fans pined for Pearl, and then when the same fans were worried after another Martin lackluster season and Pearl's release from his show-cause, he got his feelings hurt all the more and took a lateral move as a point of honor or something.

I say, good riddance to the brooding one and welcome CDT. He'll do just fine if the crazies in that town give him a chance. Not likely, though.

The petition was meaningless and a joke. All hype by media. Unconfirmed signatures. CCM signed it multiple times according to petition. He even said it was meaningless.
The offer was a legitimate $500,000 raise. Was the buyout lowered? Yes. But it was lowered for both sides. I guess Dave Hart was tired of paying buyouts like he did for Fulmer, Dooley, etc.

If CCM had stayed and succeeded he could have wrote his own contract, but one trip to the tourney does not warrant mortgaging the farm.

So just a tidbit question TG...are you planning to wage that perceived subversionary war now?...or are you just venting out of some misguided sense of justice? :dunno:

Just venting. People who went out of their way (and mind) to get CCM out are now pretending that everyone who is questioning anything about the new coach is being unreasonable, not being real vol fan etc. I actually like the new coach and think he will succeed, but I can't support those people who pushed their ugly agenda vs CCM but are now scolding others for not being on the same page with them about the coach they happen to like.

What evidence do you have that he plays up tempo? The stats don't bare that out.

The games I saw his USM teams play, were characterized by tenacious and frequently by pressing defense, and by an offense that ran when given half an opportunity. I thought his team played like my other team. And he says he coaches like Pitino. Certainly Donovan has many of the same tendencies.

I don't think he will run at all costs, but his team will run a lot and they will not stand around. Stand and they will sit.

:rock:

I don't know where you got that impression. His offense is one of the most efficient in the NCAA. Those figures were posted on the is board last week. Lets not start posting made up figures and give this guy a chance. It is time for the complainers to shut it down for a while. Now wonder our athletic programs are where they are/were. It you continue to post inaccurate data, you have an agenda which does not support the University of Tennessee.

I got that impression from the stats. In fact, it's not an impression. It's a fact. It's his whole history. His teams play slow.

Stats don't bare it, but film does. Also the poster could have stated that Tyndall's teams move on the court more than Martin's teams do. Tyndalls teams are less offensively less efficient than Martin's teams.

Did not see much standing around on Tyndall's teams.

That doesn't make them up tempo.

Reactions: 2 people
Coach Martin was not comfortable at Tennessee. I understand his side of that. The petition did not help the situation. Everybody wants to feel wanted. He took the first opportunity to leave. That is history.
Our financial situation left us with limited funds for the next hire. Considering the situation, Hart made a great hire and got a guy that we can grow with. I feel that Coach Tyndall is a good fit at Tennessee and he will work hard to make this a great basketball program! I understand that some people are panicking over the loss of 4 recruits, but you must understand that those players were not recruited by Coach Tyndall. He will get his recruits. We just have to be patient and let him work. We may be surprised with the players that he ends up with. GBO!

So 36000 people (I'm one) clicked on an internet site and THEY damaged your hero? He was a frail sissy then...want that guy competing against Calipari and Donovan the next ten years?...What if somebody Tweeted something before the SEC Tourney and he had a nervous breakdown? He's safer in California where they don't have the mean internet. :ermm:

I agree on the issue of seeding. But Tennessee fans know how important the regular season is in that if it’s mediocre, which it has been the last 3 seasons, you stand a good chance of earning a seed in the NIT, not the big dance.

As such, the season matters very much. An argument could be made for the importance of conference tournaments, but the regular season matters!

Two of Pearl's last 3 were mediocre at best, yet he got #9 seeds. The committee is as influenced by the used-car salesman approach as anybody else. Last year's record would have gotten Pearl in easily.

So 36000 people (I'm one) clicked on an internet site and THEY damaged your hero? He was a frail sissy then...want that guy competing against Calipari and Donovan the next ten years?...What if somebody Tweeted something before the SEC Tourney and he had a nervous breakdown? He's safer in California where they don't have the mean internet. :ermm:

Boom. :rock:

VN Store

Back