Let's Tell it Like it is

As I said in another thread
1. New coach has to clean house
2. Be honest with the players....so they can make their decisions about transferring
3. I see Warrior, Bituli, with the biggest improvements on defense
4. Running backs are out strength on offense
5. I see #17 Brandon Johnson as our best receiver...but for some reason hardly plays...and yet makes beautiful catches when he is in
6. Offensive line of course Trey and other than that are more freshman who with proper coaching may very well become very good....
7. At QB...well QD never stopped throwing off his back foot....
JG..even though a redshirt freshman looks like he is a little afraid...he is really slow
This is next to last game and I dont know if I remember a QB that could properly
lead a receiver properly with a long pass...and this is college ball
8. Stop recruiting tall receivers if they cannot make the proper cuts...what good is a tall
receiver if he can hardly catch the ball and he can't get open..
9. Lastly, get coaches who and REALLY evaluate talent for their positions

#2 is a problem.

"Football Bowl Subdivision schools are limited to signing 25 prospective and current student-athletes to a first-time financial aid agreement or a National Letter of Intent. Exceptions exclude current student-athletes who have been enrolled full-time at the school for at least two years and prospective or current student-athletes who suffer an incapacitating injury (effective for recruits who sign after Aug. 1, 2017)."

Can't underestimate that change because it limits how a new coach can restructure the team. You can't dump a bunch of guys and bring in 30 or so any more apparently. Unfortunately TN is one of the first teams getting ready to face it. A lot of defections from the team could spell real problems - like not being able to get to 85 scholarships unless you give them to walk-ons who have been around a while.

Our defense doesn't get enough credit. We have a really good defense, the problem is they can't play the ENTIRE game!

Reactions: 3 people
Sitting in the stands looking around there was as much purple as orange!!! Our guys looked a little different to me 1st half, but Callaway cost us points TWICE!!! Defense looking better but we gotta find offence! I am afraid this season will steer all new players away from TN..before the game, during vol walk, team 121 didn't seem excited not a lot of emotion ...but there was a tiny few who did reach out and shake some kids hands!! Just no fire there!

The offense sucks but based on the amount of injuries( especially on the o line), its really hard to judge the coaching in my opinion.

Kelly: 25 carries; 47 yards. Ain't going to win no games with a rushing attack like that.

No line; no run. Simple as that.

Who could have guessed that Kelly would have carried it on basically the same play 25 times, that Guarantano would have kept it 0 times, that there would have been almost no wrinkles off of the base non - option offense that we have been running.

The surprise is that Kelly gains anything at all. If you want to go back and get real creative - go see how we did out of the I. I think we actually ran the ball pretty well out of the I but we only did that 3 or 4 times.

Yes, we lost 30-10.

However, this team was completely different than the team we've seen since Florida. Receiving the kick after the half during the nice little 8 minute hurricane was a terrible stroke of luck and a monumental game changer. Sucks, but that's life. Especially as a Tennessee fan.

The defense played a good game. They allowed 281 yards, but 10 of the 30 points were due to muffed punts by Calloway. Give him a break here - 25 mph winds and a wet ball are tough to bring in.

Play calling was better, but not great. Then again, you only have 1 week to make changes. Implement new things. We lined up in the I more tonight than we have in 5 combined years.

Taking away the 10 points we gave them, we played a decent game. Change won't occur overnight, but it is evident that Butch clearly handicapped the coaches.

Hats off to Warren.

We have talent, we just need more than a week of development. Hopefully the injury bug can leave with Butch.

Have a happy Thanksgiving and Christmas - at least we won't be driving through inclement weather.

Edit: This was not a moral victory. LSU IS and was the better team, but for UT, 10 games into the season, ... well, there is only so much you can do. And, Walt Wells needs to go.

Their balls were wet too

Who could have guessed that Kelly would have carried it on basically the same play 25 times, that Guarantano would have kept it 0 times, that there would have been almost no wrinkles off of the base non - option offense that we have been running.

The surprise is that Kelly gains anything at all. If you want to go back and get real creative - go see how we did out of the I. I think we actually ran the ball pretty well out of the I but we only did that 3 or 4 times.

No one is going to argue the patchwork quilt our line was last night. No one. You can make rationales all you wish, but this team has been hobbled with injuries all year long.

We may have been successful running the i a few more times, but it's just silly thinking that LSU wouldn't have made an adjustment and shut that down, too.

We don't have the horses for a running attack. We haven't had it all season. Our record backs up my rationale and I'll stake it up against anything anyone wants to put up there.

Reactions: 1 person
As I said in another thread
1. New coach has to clean house
2. Be honest with the players....so they can make their decisions about transferring
3. I see Warrior, Bituli, with the biggest improvements on defense
4. Running backs are out strength on offense
5. I see #17 Brandon Johnson as our best receiver...but for some reason hardly plays...and yet makes beautiful catches when he is in
6. Offensive line of course Trey and other than that are more freshman who with proper coaching may very well become very good....
7. At QB...well QD never stopped throwing off his back foot....
JG..even though a redshirt freshman looks like he is a little afraid...he is really slow
This is next to last game and I dont know if I remember a QB that could properly
lead a receiver properly with a long pass...and this is college ball
8. Stop recruiting tall receivers if they cannot make the proper cuts...what good is a tall
receiver if he can hardly catch the ball and he can't get open..
9. Lastly, get coaches who and REALLY evaluate talent for their positions

Brandon Johnson going to be great I don't understand why they don't use him enough he has been leading the team in receiving all year and they still don't play him enough..they to busy giving palmer snaps

They quit in the 2nd half. Old habits die hard

I wouldn't take too much from this game, good or bad... it was a strange game. With that said, other than the two muff punts, it was much closer than the scoreboard showed. I do tend to agree with you - I felt LSU was embracing the weather in the second half and kind of put a damper on the excitement on the Vols sidelines. Not sure why that was.... felt like they still had a chance.

The one thing I noticed and even the telecasters said something - the ball handling between the QB and Center was off and it seemed like they were having a tough time... this threw off the timing of everything. LSU really didn't seem to have that issue, and Danny seemed to kind of enjoy running out there in the rain.

Weather resulting in 16 points for LSU (2 muffed punts, 1 muffed kickoff)

If you take into account the second half kickoff that no one could find that led quickly but indirectly to an LSU TD the kicking game gave up 17 of the 30 points.

We had gained some momentum at the end of the first half, but the way we started the second half just killed it. We out gained LSU for the game but since the y were basically playing the entire second half with a 14 point lead in the rain and wind Gice was able to just run the ball and not have to throw. Our patchwork O-line was just not able to support any consistant run game and the wind made any long throws questionable at best.

Holding Guice under 100 yards rushing was impressive.

A team that is short on developed talent like the Vols can't afford any of the mistakes they made and expect to compete.

Made some penalties that hurt but nothing like some of the stupid personal fouls and PI calls they have been routinely getting.

I think they could have won the SC and KY games and made this one a lot closer if they would have canned Jones after the GA debacle.

Team played with a little more confidence and poise against LSU instead of being as tight as a banjo stringer under the purple faced warrior Butch Jones.

The offense sucks but based on the amount of injuries( especially on the o line), its really hard to judge the coaching in my opinion.

I think all the injuries on "O" and "D" is coaches fault. No depth and back ups not prepared and no strength and conditioning

:mf_surrender:

I think all the injuries on "O" and "D" is coaches fault. No depth and back ups not prepared and no strength and conditioning

:mf_surrender:

You’re right. Too much playing time for Freshmen before they were physically ready for the SEC leads to major injuries. Taking a full year off from S&C last year magnified the problem.

Kelly: 25 carries; 47 yards. Ain't going to win no games with a rushing attack like that.

No line; no run. Simple as that.

I didn't realize until last week that our OL was in such terrible shape. Unreal that injuries like this have happened two years in a row.

I didn't realize until last week that our OL was in such terrible shape. Unreal that injuries like this have happened two years in a row.

Well, the good news is that should provide good experience for the younger players for next year. LSU only had 11 scholarship OL this year... no injuries were needed for 4-5 true or redshirt freshmen to play the first game of the year and every game of the year on the offensive line. The advantage LSU had is the freshmen have been playing all year, they're now seasoned vets.

Those young offensive linemen really need to be the building block for Tennessee. Although it was painful for LSU this year from being forced to play a ton of freshmen, in the end, I think it will benefit them and the team. Just very painful to watch at times.

Yes, we lost 30-10.

However, this team was completely different than the team we've seen since Florida. Receiving the kick after the half during the nice little 8 minute hurricane was a terrible stroke of luck and a monumental game changer. Sucks, but that's life. Especially as a Tennessee fan.

The defense played a good game. They allowed 281 yards, but 10 of the 30 points were due to muffed punts by Calloway. Give him a break here - 25 mph winds and a wet ball are tough to bring in.

Play calling was better, but not great. Then again, you only have 1 week to make changes. Implement new things. We lined up in the I more tonight than we have in 5 combined years.

Taking away the 10 points we gave them, we played a decent game. Change won't occur overnight, but it is evident that Butch clearly handicapped the coaches.

Hats off to Warren.

We have talent, we just need more than a week of development. Hopefully the injury bug can leave with Butch.

Have a happy Thanksgiving and Christmas - at least we won't be driving through inclement weather.

Edit: This was not a moral victory. LSU IS and was the better team, but for UT, 10 games into the season, ... well, there is only so much you can do. And, Walt Wells needs to go.

sorry I kinda find it hard to say give him a break. If he did not feel comfortable catching the ball, which by the looks he didn't, then move out of the way. if they down it at the one so be it. we have punter with a huge leg to get some field back, instead of giving it to them on the 10

Weather resulting in 16 points for LSU (2 muffed punts, 1 muffed kickoff)

To an extent. Some of us have watched games in which coaches played the weather - kicked on first or second down to avoid handling the ball - put additional players back to cover the ball in bad kicking conditions. I'd expect a coach to know more than we do and have a handle on those things - they didn't seem to. Trying to play catch up in sloppy conditions usually makes it worse, too.

VN Store

Back