Maria Cornelius has retracted her claim that Kellie was offered a path forward if...

I thought it was universal. Never saw a donor dependent institution where that wasn't the case.
Probably right. I guess there are levels of access, too. I know a former football coach and bball coach who famously were not like that, but again, they aren’t here anymore. They didn’t exactly endear themselves to the money people.

I guess I’m not just talking access, maybe attempts at control is more what I mean in this case. Also, some of the people I am thinking of, whom I know, aren’t donors.

Why did Maria originally say that there was a path forward and then retract it. Was she asked to take that out? That is a pretty specific claim to get wrong.
If the original story is correct that seems to be to me more damaging to DW than Kellie. Either he would have been gauging interest while still planning on Kellie staying or he thought Kellie was staying and got a big surprise. So who knows if he has any idea about the interest level of other coaches.
IIt wasn't just Maria
John Adams on off the hock said
Danny white not even close to firing Kellie
He his his sources
And the people who he knew had inside sources said the same thing
John Adams said that on off the hock
Two to four weeks ago
Guess South Carolina game ending
Didn't help.

IIt wasn't just Maria
He his his sources
Two to four weeks ago
Didn't help.
Either way, shame on Maria Cornelius for spreading unclaimed rumors and not apologizing formally for it, and for whoever this John Adams person is.

IIt wasn't just Maria
He his his sources
Two to four weeks ago
Didn't help.

Adams is just a blow hard who likes to hear himself talk.

So she just reports rumors she hears among former players and her inner circle, basically? She isn’t credible, if that’s the case.
Yeah, the explanation may be worse than the mistake.

The "narrative" was there all season (yeah but from who UTAD or random Xitter users). Maria might as well be on this board.

Just in principle, if Danny White has to meddle in a coaches staff, then the AD may be the problem. Glad that isn't so.

None of that was true anyway. But if it were, what an odd take. That it’s not the Athletics Director’s job to meddle in the athletics programs? Huh?

Especially when the staff member in question reported directly to the athletics department and not the head coach because he was sleeping with her.

Reactions: T_Vol376
Thanks for clarifying Madtown but in your defense one would think Maria was reporting accurate info. A lot of us ran with that article. Lesson learned. In these type of situations don't put too much stock in early articles.

Thanks for clarifying Madtown but in your defense one would think Maria was reporting accurate info. A lot of us ran with that article. Lesson learned. In these type of situations don't put too much stock in early articles.
Also know the sources, if at all possible. Cora > Maria x1000. We're very lucky to have Cora, an actual journalist.

Especially one from a fansite and not an actual news publication.

Read an article on my phone this morning with potential replacements for Kellie. One is the coach at Southern Cal. Lindsay Gottlieb has Southern Cal in the Women's Final Four, and the top rated recruiting class for 2025. Has some NBA experience as well. She sounds like a solid choice for AD White. I would think she would love to get to the SEC and coach against the likes of Staley and Mulkey.

Read an article on my phone this morning with potential replacements for Kellie. One is the coach at Southern Cal. Lindsay Gottlieb has Southern Cal in the Women's Final Four, and the top rated recruiting class for 2025. Has some NBA experience as well. She sounds like a solid choice for AD White. I would think she would love to get to the SEC and coach against the likes of Staley and Mulkey.
FYI, USC lost to UConn in an Elite Eight game last night.

You clowns bashing Danny White as if he doesn’t know what he’s doing or in “scramble mode”.

Good Lord.
That would be an absurd notion, anyway. DW could have kept KJH on for another year and no one would have screamed bloody murder. He's earned the right to stay the course with a coach producing good-but-not-great results. He's running one of the best all-around athletic departments in the best conference in the country.

There's nothing for him to "scramble" for. If she had an unsatisfactory season next year, he still could have made a change. But he'd seen enough to decide that the Sweet 16 was her ceiling, and that's not acceptable at Tennessee, so he went ahead and did it now. That's decisive, not scrambling.

That would be an absurd notion, anyway. DW could have kept KJH on for another year and no one would have screamed bloody murder. He's earned the right to stay the course with a coach producing good-but-not-great results. He's running one of the best all-around athletic departments in the best conference in the country.

There's nothing for him to "scramble" for. If she had an unsatisfactory season next year, he still could have made a change. But he'd seen enough to decide that the Sweet 16 was her ceiling, and that's not acceptable at Tennessee, so he went ahead and did it now. That's decisive, not scrambling.
I took "scramble mode" to mean "find a new coach before the good ones are taken."

Reactions: glv98
I took "scramble mode" to mean "find a new coach before the good ones are taken."
Exactly. And more importantly, let that coach get to work before the portal is empty. How much of a mess do you want a new coach to walk into?

IMO people who laugh at us for urgency don't really know our roster or how fast things move these days in WBB.

Exactly. And more importantly, let that coach get to work before the portal is empty. How much of a mess do you want a new coach to walk into?

IMO people who laugh at us for urgency don't really know our roster or how fast things move these days in WBB.
And all other college sports. You have to evaluate, make decisions and implement while the train is moving on down the tracks. No time to pull into the station and sort it out.

The best thing for UT is for the Lady Vol Mafia to fade away and become irrelevant.

Danny White already did that.

That’s why they were all completely blind sided by this coaching change. They haven’t had any influence for a while. Now they don’t have any information either. That is good news for the next coach.

VN Store

Back