Marvin West's take on the situation

I'm a little confused by Spyre's claim to NOT be a collective to fund UT athletes. Do they have any athletes signed who attend other schools? Do their donors know they could potentially be paying for Alabama's players? This is the part I'm struggling with.

What is UT's desired outcome here, besides not being banned? Is it the staus quo? Are we advocating for the current system of yearly unrestricted free agency and open transfer for all athletes? Is everyone (or anyone) going to be able to continue to provide millions every spring for pay to play and/or pay to stay?

Is it possible anymore to remove recruiting from true NIL? Few have a problem with players making money off their own image and likeness. But it seems obvious the recruiting free for all has to reigned in.

BTW, Marvin West was a legendary Knoxville sports journalist, practically invented the UT sports beat.

I'm a little confused by Spyre's claim to NOT be a collective to fund UT athletes. Do they have any athletes signed who attend other schools? Do their donors know they could potentially be paying for Alabama's players? This is the part I'm struggling with.

What is UT's desired outcome here, besides not being banned? Is it the staus quo? Are we advocating for the current system of yearly unrestricted free agency and open transfer for all athletes? Is everyone (or anyone) going to be able to continue to provide millions every spring for pay to play and/or pay to stay?

Is it possible anymore to remove recruiting from true NIL? Few have a problem with players making money off their own image and likeness. But it seems obvious the recruiting free for all has to reigned in.

BTW, Marvin West was a legendary Knoxville sports journalist, practically invented the UT sports beat.
RECRUITING is communication. So if you have a solution for an athlete to find out their best financial option WITHOUT a collective imparting said information, I'm sure you'll have an eager audience. Such deaf tone reaction from the NCAA to reality, necessitates the LEGALESE that Spyre utilized in the language. It's not an Emperor's New Clothes thing you've cleverly become "confused" about. Spyre covered bases before the stadium was even built...preparing for the NCAA to retroactively change the zip code...as they are wont to do.

RECRUITING is communication. So if you have a solution for an athlete to find out their best financial option WITHOUT a collective imparting said information, I'm sure you'll have an eager audience. Such deaf tone reaction from the NCAA to reality, necessitates the LEGALESE that Spyre utilized in the language. It's not an Emperor's New Clothes thing you've cleverly become "confused" about. Spyre covered bases before the stadium was even built...preparing for the NCAA to retroactively change the zip code...as they are wont to do.
I'm dense so I'm still confused. Is Spyre or is it not representing players who don't end up signing with UT? I think I hear you saying that contract provision was only nod nod wink wink legalese bc the NCAA might come knocking some day. Never meant to be true. Not sure how strong a legal argument that is, even against a goal post mover.

So what is UT's desired outcome? Status quo? Unrestricted free agency pay for play (and pay to stay) and unlimited transfer for all athletes all the time? If the courts now govern college sports, can the once a year transfer rule hold? Why not midseason transfer, or hell after one game if you didn't like the pregame meal? Are the portal date guidelines legal?

Not saying the current free for all won't stand, but IMO there are some major repercussions to that we haven't even thought about yet. One would certainly be a division btw the super schools and the other 95% that choose to stay amateur, hopefully with true NIL where kids can make a buck off their jersey sales. Which so, so long ago was the purpose of all this.

Reactions: VolTull
I'm dense so I'm still confused. Is Spyre or is it not representing players who don't end up signing with UT? I think I hear you saying that contract provision was only nod nod wink wink legalese bc the NCAA might come knocking some day. Never meant to be true. Not sure how strong a legal argument that is, even against a goal post mover.

So what is UT's desired outcome? Status quo? Unrestricted free agency pay for play (and pay to stay) and unlimited transfer for all athletes all the time? If the courts now govern college sports, can the once a year transfer rule hold? Why not midseason transfer, or hell after one game if you didn't like the pregame meal? Are the portal date guidelines legal?

Not saying the current free for all won't stand, but IMO there are some major repercussions to that we haven't even thought about yet. One would certainly be a division btw the super schools and the other 95% that choose to stay amateur, hopefully with true NIL where kids can make a buck off their jersey sales. Which so, so long ago was the purpose of all this.
Sounds like a you problem…persevere in your confusion. Reality reigns.

I thought i heard today that California has laws similar to Missouri that allows payments and other benefits at the high school levels (not 100% sure on the rules). If that was the case and he signed with Spyre how is this a violation.
The NCAA has created a mess and now wants to flex but appears to be stuck on this one.
Seems to me that is the problem. In the Niko case you have 4 separate entities involved; the states of California and Tennessee, the NCAA and the Federal govt.

So whose rules and/or laws apply?

Sounds like a you problem…persevere in your confusion. Reality reigns.
No need to be nasty, I'm just trying to understand the reigning reality.

Bottom line, what is the University of Tennessee's desired outcome? We're all rah rah go team beat the NCAA. Which is fine, probably deserved. But what then? Courts govern college sports? Big money donors govern?

Maybe the current "reality" will stand. Unlimited transfer, unlimited free agency and unlimited pay for play/pay for stay. Is that what UT is fighting for? Not judging one way or the other, just trying to understand the fight beyond kneejerk us vs them.

Bottom line, what is the University of Tennessee's desired outcome? We're all rah rah go team beat the NCAA. Which is fine, probably deserved. But what then? Courts govern college sports? Big money donors govern?

Maybe the current "reality" will stand. Unlimited transfer, unlimited free agency and unlimited pay for play/pay for stay. Is that what UT is fighting for? Not judging one way or the other, just trying to understand the fight beyond kneejerk us vs them.
I think UTs desired outcome is to not get slapped around by an entity that is trying to bully them. Danny said it best, the NCAA found NO infractions so they moved the goal post. I think all universities want a clear concise set of rules, and they haven’t been provided. Because of this, how can you hold one school accountable.

No you’re not. Your “confusion” is a determined outcome. 😴

One side wants to do end-arounds and a shell game to restore what they lost…control. The other side is using basic case law to keep them from getting away with it.

Let me ask…football scientist…have you watched the games the past couple of seasons? If yes, then the product isn’t unwatchable for you. If no, wth are you bellyaching about?

I guess the Bottom Line is who do you trust?

The NCAA or the Staff at the University of Tennessee?

Tennessee will win this, but the results of their win may not be what is needed to resolve future issues.

Other Universities will also take issue with the NCAA which will warrant actions. I do believe that the NCAA does not want a fight and do believe other Universities may not have the balls to get into the mix unless threatened.

The NCAA was losing power and their only way to retain it was to find a program that they thought would not counter them.

This action was a power move by the NCAA that threatened more than likely a death penalty sentence if not challenged. The NCAA used Tennessee as the Scapegoat because they could put the label of "repeat offenders" on the case, even though TN was not.

Leaked the information to get traction and it backfired. Unethithical of course and the knew exactly which person to do the job.

This was a hit job that backfired by the NCAA, plain and simple.

I think the eventual desired outcome is that the ncaa is removed from oversight of revenue producing sports and 4 conferences combine to create a new member organization with recruitment and player compensation rules created by the conferences.

I am actually fascinated by the "why" here. Why would the NCAA make this public (if true) via leaks? Literally no one would take the NCAAs side given the iron hand they have ruled with for as long as I can remember. They have been on the wrong side of history since at least the mid-80s.....

Why UT? We have ALWAYS been cooperative when we were in the wrong (so far as we know) and done the right thing according to the rules. I like Josh Pate's take on this: They are a bully. But now the bully is getting hit so we will see how well the NCAA can take a punch.

Why were quiet investigations on this made public? TBH I am not convinced it was the NCAA that did this. The logic behind making a weak case public doesn't add up. They may be tyrannical but I cannot imagine any lawyer worth their salt advising the NCAA to "leak" details in an attempt to garner support. If they did then thank you NCAA for hiring a gump educated lawyer. Makes more sense UT wanted this out in the open due to how weak the case is. More schools will likely pile on here.

I assume there are a lot of political motives at play here I don't pretend to understand. Some catalyst kicked this war off but now pandora's box is opened and I believe there is a mortal threat to the NCAA should they lose. If more schools join in they may have to capitulate before opening statements every occur.

Pop your popcorn folks, this will be wild to watch!

Reactions: BristolVol

VN Store

Back