Maurer takes over at some point this season

The only way Maurer sees the field is because we are dragging the other team and he does some mop up duty or if JG gets hurt and has to sit out some games.

If Mauer does the play, he will not be allowed to pass the ball. Pruitt will not want to have us fans see how good he can be

We all hope that he can do better because we all know that JG will be the starter in 2019 & 2020, unless he is injured

Just like last season, being the starter and/or the best QB on the roster, still doesn't necessarily make one a 'good' QB.

It’s like 2016 doesn’t exist for him. I know it’s an anomaly...but it happened.
My bad Butchna, guess 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017 and 2018 kinda had me thinking that we “never” beat Florida. I must’ve erroneously let that, coupled with 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1999, 2000 and 2002 kinda cloud my memory of 2016. Apologies.

Reactions: jakez4ut
My bad Butchna, guess 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017 and 2018 kinda had me thinking that we “never” beat Florida. I must’ve erroneously let that, coupled with 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1999, 2000 and 2002 kinda cloud my memory of 2016. Apologies.
Apologize to your manhood...not me. 😉 Thanks for familiarizing me with all the dates that I acknowledged...unlike you with that tricky 2016 anomaly, which happened under Butch Jones. 4/5 of those contests were highly winnable for us and until Pope found a way to Pig Howard a certain TD last season, we competed with the Blue and Orange Bogeymen. Hide yourself under the protective cloak of garlic and gird yourself with an orange crucifix if it helps. There’s nothing mystical about them. They’ve been highly beatable for quite some time...and we have the coaching and teaching that can do it.

Pruitt said last year that he doesn’t think the QB is different from any position. If he still thinks that, he needs to have nothing to do with the offense honestly. Also, he wants those that won’t turn over the ball. That’s certainly JG.
Context is king. He realizes that the QB position is different in some respects. But he doesn't seem to accept prima donnas. IMO, that was the gist of the comment.

You can play without turning it over... unfortunately that low level of risk tolerance will not produce points. IMO, that's what we saw last fall.

I dont see what people are so upset about. Maurer is a mobile guy and we have an atrocious O-line. If the o-line dont get any better then we will need the mobility IMO. You go with the QB who will make plays and hopefully not get his head taken off. I hope the o-line gets better so JG can show us some skills but if he holds the ball too long I think he will get yanked but I am not a D1 coach sooooo.. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Big Al Orange
Apologize to your manhood...not me. 😉 Thanks for familiarizing me with all the dates that I acknowledged...unlike you with that tricky 2016 anomaly, which happened under Butch Jones. 4/5 of those contests were highly winnable for us and until Pope found a way to Pig Howard a certain TD last season, we competed with the Blue and Orange Bogeymen. Hide yourself under the protective cloak of garlic and gird yourself with an orange crucifix if it helps. There’s nothing mystical about them. They’ve been highly beatable for quite some time...and we have the coaching and teaching that can do it.
Lol. My manhood? Why go personal? You took that post wayyyyy too serious my friend.

But, while we’re at it, your explanation about how “4/5 contests were highly winnable” only furthers my point.....no matter what happens, we “always lose to Florida”.

Along that same vein, as far as the anomaly of 2016, I can definitively tell you that with the exception of about 17 of the 60 minutes of even THAT game, Florida beat us up 28-3....we FINALLY, in about 17 glorious minutes of the 3rd and 4th quarters of that game in a great flurry of football, turned the tables on the Gators and gave them a dose of their own medicine.

Seems like perhaps only Behr has figured out my overabundant use of hyperbole when venting my frustration regarding our “rivalry” with Florida.

Anywho, have a good one buddy.

The hilarious part is that the string of losses to Florida in the 90’s and early 2000’s was squarely during the era that many Vol fans discuss as us being a dominant team. Spurrier owned Fulmer.

Reactions: Remy and KBVol
Lol. My manhood? Why go personal? You took that post wayyyyy too serious my friend.

But, while we’re at it, your explanation about how “4/5 contests were highly winnable” only furthers my point.....no matter what happens, we “always lose to Florida”.

Along that same vein, as far as the anomaly of 2016, I can definitively tell you that with the exception of about 17 of the 60 minutes of even THAT game, Florida beat us up 28-3....we FINALLY, in about 17 glorious minutes of the 3rd and 4th quarters of that game in a great flurry of football, turned the tables on the Gators and gave them a dose of their own medicine.

Seems like perhaps only Behr has figured out my overabundant use of hyperbole when venting my frustration regarding our “rivalry” with Florida.

Remind me not to drink with you.... a sense of humor is obviously lacking.

The hilarious part is that the string of losses to Florida in the 90’s and early 2000’s was squarely during the era that many Vol fans discuss as us being a dominant team. Spurrier owned Fulmer.

In the last 50 years of play, Florida owns the series 27-9. Since the SEC divisional split in 92, even if you take out the Butch Jones years because of "reasons", they still own the series 17-5. You can debate the reasons 'why' or 'why not', but statistically speaking they are more likely to win.

Remind me not to drink with you.... a sense of humor is obviously lacking.
There’ll never be a need. Got plenty of drinking buddies I enjoy spending my free time with without adding some stranger on a message board. Don’t see the need to remind you of much anything.

Reactions: LittleVol
It’s not just “Spurrier owning Fulmer”. In fact, Fulmer actually has had the most success vs Florida. Johnny lost 4 of 5, Kiffen lost his game, Dooley was 0-3, Jones was 1-4, JP is now 0-1. Phil actually won 5 of 17.

Reactions: Remy

Wink 😉 emoji should have covered the “personal” stuff, but apologies anyway. Unlike Behr, I view your OVERUSE of hyperbole as a greater hint of truth. I justify that with your rationalization of the 10 point victory in the books.

There’ll never be a need. Got plenty of drinking buddies I enjoy spending my free time with without adding some stranger on a message board. Don’t see the need to remind you of much anything.

😂😂 miss out on the sarcasm again? Whew.... lighten up buttercup

Reactions: ProudVOLfan
I don't know if he will or won't, but I sure hope not because it would mean either A) JG got injured or B) JG got benched so we're probably having a horrible season. Since I'm a Tennessee fan, I don't want either of those things to happen.

I'm glad Maurer looked sharp on one drive in a scrimmage in pre-season. Chaney changed the offense as soon as Maurer took over. The announcer even mentioned it. It's possible our second team defense was caught a little off-guard. He also threw 2 picks after his nice drive. As a true freshman, he looked good and I'm stoked to have him on our team, but I doubt he's ready to start in the SEC.

JT Shrout's stats were way better than Maurer's in the spring game. Go look at them. A flashy, up-tempo, offense is fun to watch, but who cares if it nets us a 0-2 TD/Int ratio? My gut tells me Shrout wins the backup job, but again, who knows...

Don't worry, he won't

Murals%20taking%20over%20SA20190309193446.jpg_21272591_ver1.0_1280_720.jpg

I like Maurer, but unless he's the next Fromm or Lawrence, he's riding the bench. I think he has the potential to be great, but with JG having 2 more yrs and Bailey coming in, I don't think he'll start here. Sad, cause like I said, he has the tangibles, just bad timing.

I like Maurer, but unless he's the next Fromm or Lawrence, he's riding the bench. I think he has the potential to be great, but with JG having 2 more yrs and Bailey coming in, I don't think he'll start here. Sad, cause like I said, he has the tangibles, just bad timing.

Maurer is the best QB we've had since Dobbs.
And he will surpass Donna after it's all said and done.

VN Store

Back