Memorial gym

I played in a high school tournament there back in the 60’s.
The strangest arena I have ever played in. You
feel like you are up on a stage and the background
behind the backboard is very difficult to adjust to.
Glad I never had to play there. The drop around the edge seems like an unnerving obstacle.

The last time I went to a game there—I believe it was 2010—I sat next to a woman who almost certainly didn't go to Vanderbilt, but she made sure to say about 10 times (not at me, but loud enough for me to hear very easily) that the entire UT student body couldn't collectively get a 32 on the ACT.

Second this. Have sat right behind the Vols bench the last few years there and just bought tickets to be in the same spot Saturday. Great view.

Memorial Gymnasium is considered to be the best SEC arena to shoot at, per former SEC players and coaches.

That’s because you are playing Vandy.
Haven’t looked it up, but I feel like Lofton had good games there. I know he hit one from dang near half court with his eyes closed, while fighting cancer, while holding a glass of sweet tea in his hand.

However, Vandy has had some decent teams in the past. Way past.

Ever been to a game in Stokely? You learn to cope.
Went to a rally to send the Vols off to the Sweet 16 at Stokely. Bruce Pearl flat out looked at and walked by my 7 year old nephew, who was holding out his hand and a picture to sign, and then he saw a WATE camera and the charm came on. True story. That’s not everyone’s experience, but it was ours.

I wouldn't pay more than 100 to sit up top. Being around so much orange will be worth it the bad seats. I grew up in Nashville and have been to a good 40 games there. Can't believe it's been 5 years but I was there when Grant Williams if memory serves me right went 21 of 22 from the FT when UT was #1 and won in OT. One of my favorite basketball memories.

I wouldn't pay more than 100 to sit up top. Being around so much orange will be worth it the bad seats. I grew up in Nashville and have been to a good 40 games there. Can't believe it's been 5 years but I was there when Grant Williams if memory serves me right went 21 of 22 from the FT when UT was #1 and won in OT. One of my favorite basketball memories.

23 for 23. 43 total points. UT won in OT.

VN Store

Back