Mike Canales comments on Vols possibly using two-quarterback system

Coach Bryant is dead. I really believe that philosophy was more true 30 years than it is today. I do hope one separates himself but if not let's run a 2 QB system and take advantage of the positives...guess we'll have no other choice..,JMO

Really? Where is it working in the last 5 yrs?

:-(

Tennesseeduke

It's QD job to lose. End of story. JG is being mentioned to play by the coaches so he doesn't leave the program. I do think JG will see playing time but it's only if QD is struggling or we are leading by a large margin. Dormady has all the tools to be an elite SEC QB. We have a good problem on our hands but a two QB system more times than not is not successful.

It's QD job to lose. End of story. JG is being mentioned to play by the coaches so he doesn't leave the program. I do think JG will see playing time but it's only if QD is struggling or we are leading by a large margin. Dormady has all the tools to be an elite SEC QB. We have a good problem on our hands but a two QB system more times than not is not successful.

I disagree, the competition is legitimate.

I don't care if we play a 3 QB system--just develop an excellent game plan and win the *&^#$@! games.......

This sounds like they are trying to keep one of the two from walking out of the program.

Lane Kiffin and Nick Saban recruited Quinten Dormandy to play QB at Alabama.....he chose Tennessee over Bama....kid has the talent to be in that class of top SEC QB's.

I would have thought last year would have been the year to run a 2-QB system.

Dobbs/Dormady's skill sets contain enough differences to keep the defense guessing which generally leads to 1st downs and touchdowns.

Josh Dobbs led Tennessee to a school record for points last year behind a non-exist offensive line. The lack of appreciation for what he accomplished by some here is astonishing.

The reason Dormady didn't see the field last year other than during garbage time is because Dobbs was better than him at everything.

You put Dormady on the field last year behind that o-line against the likes of Florida and he would've looked like Nathan Peterman against the Gators in 2013. Downright pathetic.

Canales is blowing smoke! Again they continue to pull Dormady along as if he might be the guy. JG will be the man. I feel sorry for Dormady....always a groomsmen and never the groom! Dormady needs to figure out what school he can transfer to and have a great career as a starting QB! His time is running out!

You must obviously not be reading the same interviews the rest of us are. If the coaches are already saying we're gonna run a 2 QB system, then you can rest assured we're gonna run a 2 QB system.

The big thing is not taking out a guy if he has the hot hand. I remember Fulmer sticking with a script with Ainge and Schaffer and not letting one play over the other even if there was a matchup in our favor. Either way, I think this is all gamesmanship by Butch to keep GT off balance with their game plan. We will have a starter by week 1

Josh Dobbs led Tennessee to a school record for points last year behind a non-exist offensive line. The lack of appreciation for what he accomplished by some here is astonishing.

The reason Dormady didn't see the field last year other than during garbage time is because Dobbs was better than him at everything.

You put Dormady on the field last year behind that o-line against the likes of Florida and he would've looked like Nathan Peterman against the Gators in 2013. Downright pathetic.

Dormady is way more accurate of a passer than Dobbs. Dobbs was the go to guy, because he was the best opinion with a porous O-line.

Reactions: 1 person
Canales is blowing smoke! Again they continue to pull Dormady along as if he might be the guy. JG will be the man. I feel sorry for Dormady....always a groomsmen and never the groom! Dormady needs to figure out what school he can transfer to and have a great career as a starting QB! His time is running out!

Wait, didn't Dormady just get engaged?

Dormady is way more accurate of a passer than Dobbs. Dobbs was the go to guy, because he was the best opinion with a porous O-line.

And you know this how? Dobbs has the exact same completion % for his career as Dormady has had the last 2 years even while Dormady has only played in garbage time against inferior opponents. Both are 61.5% passers.

So what evidence do you have that Dormady is even a little better passing the ball than Dobbs? A spring game against mostly backups? Please. You're just assuming that he's more accurate. There is nothing in Dormady's numbers that say he's a more accurate passer than Dobbs.

And you know this how? Dobbs has the exact same completion % for his career as Dormady has had the last 2 years even while Dormady has only played in garbage time against inferior opponents. Both are 61.5% passers.

So what evidence do you have that Dormady is even a little better passing the ball than Dobbs? A spring game against mostly backups? Please. You're just assuming that he's more accurate. There is nothing in Dormady's numbers that say he's a more accurate passer than Dobbs.

You're assuming I'm assuming. Aside for seeing the open practices and O&W games, I hear from former players who have seen them both more than you or I. And unlike you I don't ride anyone's jock. So that allows me to provide an unbiased opinion.

The big thing is not taking out a guy if he has the hot hand. I remember Fulmer sticking with a script with Ainge and Schaffer and not letting one play over the other even if there was a matchup in our favor. Either way, I think this is all gamesmanship by Butch to keep GT off balance with their game plan. We will have a starter by week 1

Erik Ainge was the guy by the end of the Florida game. Schaeffer barely played afterwards.

South Carolina...Erik Ainge the next game against Notre Dame.

I remember Ainge's injury. It was a dumb move by Fulmer to not have him take a knee and go into the half with a 10-7 lead. I think we were on our own 20 or close to it with very little time on the clock.

I remember Ainge's injury. It was a dumb move by Fulmer to not have him take a knee and go into the half with a 10-7 lead. I think we were on our own 20 or close to it with very little time on the clock.

So frustrating. And that team was so good that we almost pull off a win against eventually undefeated Auburn in the SECC and throttle A&M in the Cotton Bowl.

Agreed. Very dumb. We were pushing Notre Dame around in that game until that injury.

Like many Butchsms, this is all for show IMHO. By not declaring a QB yet, he gets the benefit of both of them pushing each other harder while trying to win the job and he makes it more difficult for opponents to plan for us. Meanwhile, come the first game, it will be QD starting at center and JG getting snaps in junk time or a trick play to help make sure he is ready in case QD goes down. JG is going to be a great QB after QD leaves in 2 years.

I am no insider or foozeball genius but that is what is going to happen, all the rest of this is smokescreen. Come Sept you can "check my stats" :D

Last edited:
I think the reason for this 2-QB talk in the off-season is to emphasize to each QB--current and being recruited--that at Tennessee you are allowed to control your own destiny.

No one hears a Tennessee coach saying a player has an automatic edge because of seniority, or even experience.

To get the best preparation out of every QB on the roster, it's a near necessity. It's also a message top recruits have to be convinced of. It may not give us any recruiting advantage, given how many freshman QBs have recently started in the SEC, but we sure don't want to make it easier to counter-recruit.

VN Store

Back