Mike Norvell is the guy we need

Norvell is a great coach. He is extremely bright, and a great offensive mind. He has recruited much better than Fuente ever did. He will be great wherever he goes.

As for the people saying he is playing with Fuente players, he lost Paxon Lynch and other skill positions and never missed a step.

He is the real deal

Reactions: 2 people
Norvell is a great coach. He is extremely bright, and a great offensive mind. He has recruited much better than Fuente ever did. He will be great wherever he goes.

As for the people saying he is playing with Fuente players, he lost Paxon Lynch and other skill positions and never missed a step.

He is the real deal

Norvell has not played one big game.

Seems to be a solid coach and while I think the talent has shifted in Tennessee to mid and East Tennessee, would be nice to be able to get some out of Memphis.

Fuente 5-3 in a sorry conference.

Yes, but how many people put him on their wish list to be our next coach? How many people say Norvell is working with Fuentes players.

Point is they are both great coaches. Memphis has traditionally been one of the absolute worst football teams, and Fuente completely turned it around. Norvell had the luxury of a better reputation, but so many players left, he had to keep it going

His current recruiting class on paper is better than anything Fuente did.

They are both damn good coaches. Memphis was the place where coaching careers came to an end. They not only won, they have changed the perception of Memphis football.

Reactions: 1 person

As compared to…?

I mean, yeah, he hasn't coached big games like Nick Saban or Gus Malzahn have coached big games.

But, he has taken on Power 5 teams and top 25 ranked teams, which are pretty big games for a Group of 5 team like Memphis, and he has done pretty well in those games.

As a coordinator, at Arizona State, he coached in alot of big games and won his fair share. Also, as opposed to someone like Tee Martin, he was largely running the offense on his own during his 4 years there, since the head coach was primarily a defense guy.

He took an undefeated team to double OT in his conference championship game? How big a game does it need to be for you hoss? If you think it wasn't a big game then you did watch the game or both teams after it was over.

Reactions: 2 people
Wouldn't be surprised to see Norvell back at ASU. Wish we'd give him serious consideration over retreads like Miles.

He took an undefeated team to double OT in his conference championship game? How big a game does it need to be for you hoss? If you think it wasn't a big game then you did watch the game or both teams after it was over.

UCF? Come on man get real. Look at UCF undefeated schedule. You love the P6.

Nope! Made his living off of Feunte's players. Sounds like Butch living off of Brian Kelly to me.

7 offensive starters are either freshmen, sophomores, or Jr/Sr transfers. 8 defensive starters fit the same bill. Do the math, these are players that were recruited by Norvell, not Fuente.

Guess Fuente magically got 2 4* freshmen out of Nashville to play for the Tigers this year. One was the national defensive player of the week earlier this season and AAC Rookie of the year. My, he's so generous.

Norvell is a far superior recruiter and offensive coach than Fuente. Wonder why Fuente went all the way to Arizona State a few years ago to implement the offense Lynch ran? Hmmm.....

You Voltards can continue to regurgitate the misinformation that keeps popping up on these boards or you can actually do a Google search on say, the Tiger roster, and listen to people who know. But, what do I know? I'm just a Memphis alum, Highland Hundred member, and season ticket holder.

What big game has Norvell won?

3-1 vs Top 25 teams in his 2 years, including Houston last year. You remember them, right? They destroyed Florida State in the 2016 Peach Bowl and then promptly destroyed #3 Oklahoma and #3 Louisville. I guess because they play in the American, they're just slaw.

I know it's hard to fathom, but good teams exist outside the SEC. You do realize that the AAC West was rated a tougher division than the SEC East, right?

No decent Power 5 schools will schedule Memphis, UCF, etc. We are left with middle of the pack schools at best (UCLA, Ole Miss, Purdue, Missouri). Power schools that actually sign home and home contracts with the Tigers have a history of "delaying" the Memphis home game. Arkansas, Ole Miss, and even mighty UT owe Memphis home games that were delayed in years where Memphis actually had the better team. Ole Miss, to their credit, has actually scheduled it for 2022, I believe.

I urge you to petition Coach Fulmer to delay the home game against whatever Sun Belt team you have scheduled this year, we Tiger fans will petition Bowen to buy out either Mercer or Georgia State, and we'll "entertain" the Vols next year in the friendly confines of the Liberty Bowl.

CBS reporting that Arky is looking at Norvell and Venables.

Weeks before Bielema was fired, a reporter on the Finebaum show said Arkansas would be going after Norvell [if Gus said no].

After watching that game yesterday, I must say I like Norvell. It was one Hell of a game!

VN Store

Back