Milton’s future role

Technically he’s still undefeated I think. But the thing I see with Milton is our run two pass Johnny Majors play calls. Very conservative passes. Hooker throw forty yards or seven yards first down second third down if you dare.

I’m betting that Heupel saw his physical attributes as well as his flaws, and just believed he could fix him. He didn’t have anything to lose at first, but now he does. He had seen enough after the fumble. If I’m right, Hooker will have a short leash as well, and Bailey will be the starter by mid season.
I think you are right but I wish you were wrong because it means half a season of disappointing results. I never understood the fascination with Milton and while Hooker is good he frequently has lapses that leave you shaking your head.

Reactions: Vol4ever
Unfortunately Milton likes to show off his arm and has very little accuracy doing it. He treats this offense like he’s on a playground, wants to go deep way too often. After Hookers first series he settled down and was efficient. I just don’t think JH thinks Bailey fits this offense. I hope we see all 3 QB’s against Tech but I doubt it. I am way more concerned with the amount of penalties we had and our inefficient play in the red zone.

During Coach Huepel's postgame when asked briefly about qb play, he said Hooker came in and did some good things despite the pick late, but that they needed to study the film to evaluate both qb's because Milton's performance could be perhaps cleaned up so he wouldn't say yet who would be leading. I like Milton and Hooker and Bailey all three because they either came to Tennessee and/or stuck around under less than great circumstances.......but there appears to be some basic broken fundamental in Milton's throwing mechanics for him to consistently overthrow deep balls. And if CJH chooses to stick with JM after the two performances of this season, I'm afraid this fanbase will be left feeling like the entire "JG over-committment by staff "is still here in a way. Regardless of the pick and the batted fumble, the team just looked to respond to Hook when he was in the game and balls were completed downfield consistently. Plus Hook is a far far better runner than either of the other qb's. If Hooker gets a fair chance and cannot win the long term job, then give HB a chance, but Hooker has earned it in my eyes.

I’d say we are OK at TE with Anderson playing behind TEs that caught 9 passes for over 100 yards.
Who is Anderson? We're fine this year unless one of the top two go down. Fant will be gone next year, and Warren has already graduated, so he could move on if he wanted (I think he'll be back).

Milton can not be fixed. If he could he would be the starter at UM. The only way I see Milton servicable from here is to take away deep routes and play everything within 20 yards. Our wr have a better chance of catching a short pass and taking it the distance than Milton connecting.

I think Heupel trots Milton out as QB1 next week. Why? When asked at the presser what his QB plans were he said some like he was going to review the game film and see if Miltons failures were something that can be fixed. Heupel seems to be fixated on Milton and his strong arm. It’s like a guy that has a beautiful wife that’s out of his league. Although she screws around on him week after week, he takes her back because he thinks he can’t live without her. It’s sickening to watch from the outside looking in.

If Heupel starts Milton next week then I will have lost all hope in Heupel’s unbiased evaluation abilities and I’m done watching UT football until we get an actual QB. I have better things to do than watch another train wreck within the UT football program. I’m sick of UT being nothing better than Vandy. I can’t image Milton making it past Alabama without being decapitated or his legs broken.

Reactions: Ref4Life
I doubt JH plans do not include Milton. Right or wrong JH seems attached to Milton at the hip. His star rating as a recruit, his size and arm strength, his earlier relationship to Milton etc tell me that JH will be trotting Milton out way past the time that the avg TN fan is sick of him.
This is the most dramatic post I've seen on here this entire week. It's been TWO games and it was clear Hooker was nervous and 1 dimensional. What better choice do we have than at least raw size and arm talent (strength)? An dont you dare say Bailey. The man has rode the bench for TWO coaching staffs now and not just rode it. He has been the bottom of the depth chart. Give me a better option and I will agree with you. With Pruitt I was with the "pride" thing. With this coach, based on his history, I dont believe that is the case here.

He still needs to be developed. He has no touch on his throws. If he’s injured, HH and HB need to take all of the reps and split time against tech unless the plan is to redshirt Bailey.
Bailey can still be redshirted if he plays a few games I do believe. Bailey just isnt good enough to play.

Reactions: Volatility
Florida and Tennessee are somewhat in the same boat but got there very different ways. Tenn coaches must not have liked the QBs here already much so they got a transfer they probably promised to give every opportunity to win the starting job.
Florida gas groomed a guy for years and is the air apparent to the job but he hasnt looked good at all. The back ups both look better. I dont think either coach will stick with them.long..

I know there are those that will want to answer the question with the response of bench warmer, I think he could still have some value.

He does well on passes to the flat and he is a bruising runner.

I think he would be great at short yardage situations as you would be working to his strengths. Maybe even a good tight end.

I could be wrong, but I think he still has value and can contribute to this team.

He needs to be moved to TE

Reactions: bpalmer28
Florida and Tennessee are somewhat in the same boat but got there very different ways. Tenn coaches must not have liked the QBs here already much so they got a transfer they probably promised to give every opportunity to win the starting job.
Florida gas groomed a guy for years and is the air apparent to the job but he hasnt looked good at all. The back ups both look better. I dont think either coach will stick with them.long..
See I just don't think Hooker looked very good. At all. I think he looked much more 1D than Milton.

Reactions: Fightmaker
I would almost bet Bailey transfers, I am dumb founded about some of our fanbase. Bailey played last season and started some games against much, much better teams than what wr have played yet he would get killed ?The two guys apparently ahead of him have turned the ball over 5 times in two games against very suspect competition. Sure Pitt had a good O but their D is trash. They do not process the game fast enough. Hooker is good with his feet,his decision making leaves a lot to be desired. Milton........ dude just isn't a good qb. I don't think Heupel will play Bailey.
I agree Bailey should go ahead and transfer. Heupel wants a mobile qb who can be affective using his feet over a superior pocket passing QB. Hooker is better running the zone read option anywhere on the field. Hooker also is very good with the short rpo passing game. His mid range passing game is suspect. I watched Butch Jones and Pruitt salivate over Guantanamo and his "potential and upside" and neither are still coaching at UT. I see nothing in JH's tenure that tells me he will not salivate over Miltons "potential and upside" and trot him out until he runs out of eligibility. Bailey does not fit what JH wants to run here at UT. So far the press and coaching staff who have commented on Milton's game while at Michigan were not wrong. Milton is a pocket passer who can scramble that lacks touch and accuracy in his passing game. In his defense inside the red zone close to the goal he can run enough sweeps zone read run option plays to be effective. Milton is better scrambling out of the pocket or running rpo's he just is to slow making decisions and lacks "touch". Hooker can run the zone read all over the field but is less effective in the Red zone running and has a good short passing game. JH is not going to play Bailey and for his sake and career he needs to transfer. The TN fanbase has wanted a mobile QB that can make plays with their feet and apparently we do not like them either.

I agree Bailey should go ahead and transfer. Heupel wants a mobile qb who can be affective using his feet over a superior pocket passing QB. Hooker is better running the zone read option anywhere on the field. Hooker also is very good with the short rpo passing game. His mid range passing game is suspect. I watched Butch Jones and Pruitt salivate over Guantanamo and his "potential and upside" and neither are still coaching at UT. I see nothing in JH's tenure that tells me he will not salivate over Miltons "potential and upside" and trot him out until he runs out of eligibility. Bailey does not fit what JH wants to run here at UT. So far the press and coaching staff who have commented on Milton's game while at Michigan were wrong. Milton is a pocket passer who can scramble that lacks touch and accuracy in his passing game. In his defense inside the red zone close to the goal he can run enough sweeps zone read run option plays to be effective. Mif field he is better scrambling out of the pocket or running rpo's. Hooker can run the zone read all over the field but is less effective in the Red zone running and has a good short passing game. JH is not going to play Bailey and for his sake and career he needs to transfer. The TN fanbase has wanted a mobile QB that can make plays with their feet and apparently we do not like them either.
Heupel wants a good with is SEC talent. He coached Drew Lock who wasn't mobile at all. Bailey should transfer I agree. But I think he would fit somewhere like MTSU or Memphis better. He doesnt have SEC talent.

I wonder if he will just hang it up if he loses the starting job. He already has a college degree. He obviously wants a chance to show out for the pros. If that is taken away, why would he stay?

I think his value is the incredibly deep hail Mary. If you have to throw it 80 yards, he's your guy. Other that that, TE looks to be a good option, or he can continue to be the backup QB.

I think you may have just hit on a new offensive scheme. Keep committing penalties until we're backed-up to our own 20, then tell Milton to drop back, count to 3 and throw it as far as he can. Genius!

Reactions: ArdentVol and tbh
This is the most dramatic post I've seen on here this entire week. It's been TWO games and it was clear Hooker was nervous and 1 dimensional. What better choice do we have than at least raw size and arm talent (strength)? An dont you dare say Bailey. The man has rode the bench for TWO coaching staffs now and not just rode it. He has been the bottom of the depth chart. Give me a better option and I will agree with you. With Pruitt I was with the "pride" thing. With this coach, based on his history, I dont believe that is the case here.
Or he puts HB in and he takes the reins and doesn't look back. Two coaching staffs ? I question that considering every QB to play for Pruitt and Chaney got worse while they were here. Tb fair Bailey didn't get spring last season and that is important for most players especially the QB spot. He still started 3 games and played in 6 total. His numbers were much better than Milton. 50% vs 70% is a wide gap if the offense is moving. Milton nor Hooker have set the world on fire. In fact they have been sacked 7 times and turned the ball over 5 times directly. You may be out on Bailey but im not. Let him play and go from there. Game managers hit homerun balls. Hooker played well enough I want to see more of him. Milton no thanks. Before you say we need a mobile qb, no if the qb is capable of getting the ball to guys in space on time you can win either way. Bailey has already ran for a few first downs as a college qb. He doesn't run like the others I just think with the right coaching he can be a better RPO guy because he can use the TE. We saw that last year. Hooker did a good job of that also yesterday. We saw more balls thrown to those guys in 1 game than we have 4 years. RPO qb's do not necessarily have to run.

Heupel wants a good with is SEC talent. He coached Drew Lock who wasn't mobile at all. Bailey should transfer I agree. But I think he would fit somewhere like MTSU or Memphis better. He doesnt have SEC talent.

I disagree. If HB went to Memphis and we played them in a few years, a Memphis team lead by HB would kick UT’s butt. Memphis is better than UT right now.

HB is a better pocket passer than either Milton or Hooker. He just isn’t very mobile so he’s trash in everyone’s minds that are infatuated with mobile QB’s.

I know there are those that will want to answer the question with the response of bench warmer, I think he could still have some value.

He does well on passes to the flat and he is a bruising runner.

I think he would be great at short yardage situations as you would be working to his strengths. Maybe even a good tight end.

I could be wrong, but I think he still has value and can contribute to this team.

Perhaps you meant to say "he is a runs as if he bruises easily"

VN Store

Back