MS DT Fabien Lovett (FSU transferee)

Here is why this is silly. Clearly, the intent of this meme is to show how beinging quarantined with there spouse for two weeks is driving them to the point she is knitting a noose to kill her husband. From this meme, you are connecting dots which don't exist.

I get that lynchings are bad and it wasn't that long ago that these types of events happened, but this cartoon has NOTHING to do with lynching.

I assume you are old enough to remember the Pace commercials...New York City? Get a rope. Were we crying or should we have been crying racism on this ad?

Just so silly. The context of this meme is not racist. People are over thinking this because she is knitting a noose?!?
Like I said, I understood the context of the tweet. What I am talking about is a non POC lecturing a POC about lynching and slavery.

Reactions: barrylee
People don't "look" for things to be offended about at nearly the rate some of y'all think. How about let's try and be empathetic and understand why people of different ethnicities and backgrounds might be hurt by something like this and then try to do better? Is it really that difficult to be decent?
Where do you draw the line, though? If I post a Japanese cartoon meme, am I supposed to live in fear that I may offend someone whose grandfather was taken as a POW in the Pacific theater, and then take it down, apologize for my misguided attempt at humor, and hope I don't lose my job over the potential outcry?

I mean, I get what you are saying, and I do believe we should be empathetic to a certain degree, but we can't possibly predict what one person may view as offensive and pattern our behavior to appease irrational people who just want to have a voice.

People don't "look" for things to be offended about at nearly the rate some of y'all think. How about let's try and be empathetic and understand why people of different ethnicities and backgrounds might be hurt by something like this and then try to do better? Is it really that difficult to be decent?

So have we reached the point in time in our society that no one can ever post a picture of a noose again, no matter what subject it is related to, because someone might be offended for a reason that has nothing to do with the reason the picture was even posted?

I understand that in his position Leach felt the need to apologize, but in my mind he did nothing that warranted an apology.

But it's not just ethnic groups. College kids in general are seemingly too easily offended..

Too easily offended these days

You should delete this....you are logically challenged.
Deleted per your request. Was well-intentioned but clearly not productive. This kid has a right to feel however he wants and I have no place invalidating his feelings. To me, his response was an overreaction but youā€™re right, I donā€™t know his family history, or even how well acquainted he is with the long and predominately European usage of the noose. I think non POC such as myself tend to overreact to this type of thing as well. Speaking personally, I have a ton of black friends and am the farthest thing from racist towards POC, so it can be frustrating when the bar for being non racist is constantly moving and clearly clarified non-racist jokes, memes, etc leave a necessity to prove youā€™re not a racist. Small cross to bear, comparatively. Hope we get this kid regardless!

Offenses have changed. There aren't many teams lineing up in a I formation, much less under center. Every position defense needs to be able to move. Yeah a 340lb NT is ideal, but if he's a statue then give me a 320 that still eats space but is atheletic. There's not many 340+ people on the planet that can move.
This. It's all relative. Good post

Like I said, I understood the context of the tweet. What I am talking about is a non POC lecturing a POC about lynching and slavery.

If you understood the context, why are you talking about lynching and slavery? That's not what this meme is about and THAT'S the point.

There isn't some secret message in this meme

Last edited:
Reactions: Ulysees E. McGill
No, the point IS that neither scenario (the actual tweet or the hypothetical I proposed) had any racial or anti-semitic tones, at all. Just an image that someone has to go searching for a reason to be offended by either.

If the cartoon in Leach's tweet had a white woman knitting a noose while sitting next to an African-American, then there is a parallel to take offense. If the old couple had a Confederate flag hanging on their wall behind them, I could even see connecting the dots between images for that to be offensive. As it currently drawn, though, there is nothing to be offended by. Nothing.
I'm offended by the wife for wanting to kill her husband...I'm currently a husband and my wife may or may not want to kill mešŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø

If the joke had been about true violence, had ridiculed the history of lynching in this country, then I'd be offended. The joke of spouses going stir crazy while locked up together goes back at least decades, maybe longer. As is, I do think it's a case of people looking for something to be offended by. They ignored every other part of the joke and took one piece and decided they found it offensive. We can all look for things and say "I find that offensive", but if we do, people are going to stop talking altogether because there's always something that people can choose to be offended by.

Deleted per your request. Was well-intentioned but clearly not productive. This kid has a right to feel however he wants and I have no place invalidating his feelings. To me, his response was an overreaction but youā€™re right, I donā€™t know his family history, or even how well acquainted he is with the long and predominately European usage of the noose. I think non POC such as myself tend to overreact to this type of thing as well. Speaking personally, I have a ton of black friends and am the farthest thing from racist towards POC, so it can be frustrating when the bar for being non racist is constantly moving and clearly clarified non-racist jokes, memes, etc leave a necessity to prove youā€™re not a racist. Small cross to bear, comparatively. Hope we get this kid regardless!

Kid can do whatever he wants. No one said he couldn't. The problem is making such a big deal over something so little. When he expressed his disapproval, Leach apologized. He didn't poopoo the kid's feelings, he apologized. Somehow, that gets overlooked. But the kid took something meant as a joke and blew it all to hell. Saying that does not diminish how he felt. He's aloud to act on his feelings. Everyone else is aloud to feel however they want as well, and comment on it if they so choose.

Reactions: Ulysees E. McGill
This is bullcrap..

Kid can do whatever he wants. No one said he couldn't. The problem is making such a big deal over something so little. When he expressed his disapproval, Leach apologized. He didn't poopoo the kid's feelings, he apologized. Somehow, that gets overlooked. But the kid took something meant as a joke and blew it all to hell. Saying that does not diminish how he felt. He's aloud to act on his feelings. Everyone else is aloud to feel however they want as well, and comment on it if they so choose.
The kid is a jackass..I am sick of this šŸ‚šŸ’© It does zero to help real problems, and just creates more division and hate.

Where do you draw the line, though? If I post a Japanese cartoon meme, am I supposed to live in fear that I may offend someone whose grandfather was taken as a POW in the Pacific theater, and then take it down, apologize for my misguided attempt at humor, and hope I don't lose my job over the potential outcry?

I mean, I get what you are saying, and I do believe we should be empathetic to a certain degree, but we can't possibly predict what one person may view as offensive and pattern our behavior to appease irrational people who just want to have a voice.
You are right we should not have to walk on egg shells as a society but we can have more situational awareness. Not saying I agree or disagree but often times we shoot first and ask questions later in society. As people we still have a choice and that will always remain a two way street. As an African American seeing that content regardless of context can serve as an obstacle but it's important we all push past that together. I love you to death from our hoops convo's so I figured we'd keep it going

You are right we should not have to walk on egg shells as a society but we can have more situational awareness. Not saying I agree or disagree but often times we shoot first and ask questions later in society. As people we still have a choice and that will always remain a two way street. As an African American seeing that content regardless of context can serve as an obstacle but it's important we all push past that together. I love you to death from our hoops convo's so I figured we'd keep it going
I totally agree, and offered up a couple scenarios where I think it would have been completely appropriate to take offense. I just don't see it in this case.

I appreciate everything you bring, both info and opinion. Even if we strongly disagreed on this topic, it wouldn't change my thoughts of you as a poster. You are too solid in my mind. We are good.

Reactions: MoB_MoVols
Iā€™m not saying suicides carry the same weight as lynchings, obviously. Im just saying that lynchings make up a tiny percentage of noose-related deaths. Five times as many suicides just in that recent 9 year data pool, over 60,000 hangings of European ā€œwitches,ā€ and hanging has been a primary method of execution since Ancient Rome...and still continues to be in parts of the world. Itā€™s just ridiculous to act like a picture of a noose is exclusive to any demographic or representative of lynching, which accounts for less than 1% of historic noose usage.
Sorry, but you're comparing social insentivities to...witches and people that have committed suicide...to the southern black population who knows dang well it is an image used to intimidate and terrorize them?

No, the point IS that neither scenario (the actual tweet or the hypothetical I proposed) had any racial or anti-semitic tones, at all. Just an image that someone has to go searching for a reason to be offended by either.

If the cartoon in Leach's tweet had a white woman knitting a noose while sitting next to an African-American, then there is a parallel to take offense. If the old couple had a Confederate flag hanging on their wall behind them, I could even see connecting the dots between images for that to be offensive. As it currently drawn, though, there is nothing to be offended by. Nothing.
Nooses mean more to people in Mississippi. Especially AAs. Look at the reaction by their players and ask yourself why your opinion should trumps theirs.

Reactions: Jrobin
I totally agree, and offered up a couple scenarios where I think it would have been completely appropriate to take offense. I just don't see it in this case.

I appreciate everything you bring, both info and opinion. Even if we strongly disagreed on this topic, it wouldn't change my thoughts of you as a poster. You are too solid in my mind. We are good.
What amazes me that here we sit in 2020 fighting amongst ourselves, battling global pandemic's, all in a day's work of tripping over our own feet. But I wonder my brother, when do we see what's past the stars as a world? Maybe then we'll finally find the grass that's greener TOGETHER. What must take place for us to function as one soul, one heartbeat?

We can still hate gators, bulldogs, and elephants tho

giphy.gif

Reactions: VOLSONLY

If you think a noose has no intrinsic racial undertone in Mississippi, then you are just blind. No one has to "search", everybody dang well knows, in Mississippi, what it represents.

Now, Leach may simply lack awareness or not GAF, but he better come to understand the south a lot better, a lot quicker.

If you think a noose has no intrinsic racial undertone in Mississippi, then you are just blind. No one has to "search", everybody dang well knows, in Mississippi, what it represents.

Now, Leach may simply lack awareness or not GAF, but he better come to understand the south a lot better, a lot quicker.
We are simply going to have to agree to disagree, here. I understand that to a certain demographic of people in a certain area of the country, that single image may resonate a little differently, but in an effort by all people to ā€œlive and let liveā€, I also donā€™t agree that people should walk on eggshells in fear that any possible obscure reference can be misconstrued as racially insensitive. Clearly, Leach was not promoting racial divide or hatred of any kind with that tweet.

VN Store

Back